Absolute Sound 2017 Cables and Interconnects

Options
2»

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

Just kidding in case Rudolph the Rube Reindeer thinks because he read it on the Internet it must be true. :)

Yes, best be careful ;)

I am thinking about putting a disclaimer in my signature line.
    Maybe something along these lines:
    Anyone who actually pays heed to any of the 'advice' given in this post does so at his/her/its own risk. No warranty express or implied.

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    Buy used gents.

If that applies to anything then cables would be that thing. Assuming they aren't too old, and all the electrons are worn out, used cables would be great...

Good news! I know a guy with an electron refurb service. His work is excellent. He does source his repair parts from China, but they're just as good as US made electrons. Says so right on the C of A. He repacks 'em in the wire using OEM methods. Cheaper than buying new.

You can easily do that yourself with speaker cables. Simply disconnect from the amp and then plug into an AC outlet. The worn out electrons will be reenergized and give new life to the cables.

Just kidding in case Rudolph the Rube Reindeer thinks because he read it on the Internet it must be true. :)

So unbelievable the lack of genuine knowledge you guys possess. Seriously, you leave out the most crucial step in this process...you have to turn the wire around end to end so the electricity flows in reverse of normal usage allowing the old tired electrons to then be "stood back up in proper orientation." It's this type of neophyte oversight that splinters the entire audio community. Forgive me for my passion, but, if we're going to reach the up and coming audiophile we should do so with proper information.

OK, I'm going to go meet up with Russ and watch him get drunk.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    Don't forget to put them in the freezer for 100 hours of slow down.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    kharp1 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Buy used gents.

If that applies to anything then cables would be that thing. Assuming they aren't too old, and all the electrons are worn out, used cables would be great...

Good news! I know a guy with an electron refurb service. His work is excellent. He does source his repair parts from China, but they're just as good as US made electrons. Says so right on the C of A. He repacks 'em in the wire using OEM methods. Cheaper than buying new.

You can easily do that yourself with speaker cables. Simply disconnect from the amp and then plug into an AC outlet. The worn out electrons will be reenergized and give new life to the cables.

Be a REAL man and chase him around with a bottle of whiskey. Trust me - its fun.

I heard that story tonight!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »

That will take all of 7 minutes, then what ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Buy used gents.

If that applies to anything then cables would be that thing. Assuming they aren't too old, and all the electrons are worn out, used cables would be great. However, I suspect if you are after a particular model it might be a while before it shows up on the market. So, you need to balance the concept of spending a bit more money and buying new to enjoy the music now, or waiting for some indeterminate time before you can find what you want.

On the other hand, if all you want to do is experiment then used cables can be very useful for that. The Cable Company also will lend cables for people to experiment with.

That's kind of a cop-out. I see various used cables all the time FS. I can find ultra rare tubes many times, it just takes a bit of perseverance.

H e l l, my pre-amp is 1 of 50 to make it stateside, yet I have a nicely used one, that wasn't too hard to track down. That's the absolutely wonderful thing about the internet. You can find anything if you are willing to put some time and effort into it.

So I think the idea of used gear being "hard" to find is just a cop-out. Used cables present a great opportunity and a better value.

H9

P.s. Yes, as with anything if you want instant gratification then you have to pay up and if you do, then you need to STFU and not complain about how much it cost. You had options and you chose instant gratification.

The "you" in the above is Joe Blow, not directed at BlueFox specifically or anyone specific for that matter.

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Options
    "Used cables present a great opportunity and better value"

The only reason the buy new cables is if you get a 40% or more discount. Audiophiles go through cables like MLB goes through baseballs. There are gems all over the place that you would never experience in your own system w/o that opportunity.

Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    P.s. Yes, as with anything if you want instant gratification then you have to pay up and if you do, then you need to STFU and not complain about how much it cost. You had options and you chose instant gratification.
    It's a little more than just choosing instant gratification when buying new as the original purchaser gets the warranty with the cables. Like most gear out there, the warranty doesn't usually transfer beyond the original buyer (sometimes it does ((Dynaudio)) but usually it doesn't).

Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • tonyb
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    heiney9 wrote: »
    It's a little more than just choosing instant gratification when buying new as the original purchaser gets the warranty with the cables. Like most gear out there, the warranty doesn't usually transfer beyond the original buyer (sometimes it does ((Dynaudio)) but usually it doesn't).

I'm not following the logic. Cables don't have any moving parts to break preventing their use. Kinda like paying for a warranty on a shovel. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    You big silly -- cables can run low on electrons & need a refill; it's nice not to have to pay parts & labor for those (they're so small and you need so many of them).

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I'm not following the logic. Cables don't have any moving parts to break preventing their use. Kinda like paying for a warranty on a shovel. :)
    I've had issues with cables developing noise over time or coming apart or breaking or they just stop working. Maybe it's just me?

Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • tonyb
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    I've had issues with cables developing noise over time or coming apart or breaking or they just stop working. Maybe it's just me?

Your the first one I've heard of then. Usually a cable breaks from being mishandled, poor quality, or both. I've had cables for 20 years and zero issues.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Victor, I know it happens that cables can develop issues, it's rare, but it can happen. To me it's still not worth paying retail vs. used based on having warranty work done when the percentage is extremely low of needing warranty work. I would think most manufacturer's at that level would help you out in getting it repaired as the 2nd or 3rd. etc owner. What ever happened with MIT? Did they fix it or tell you to go pound sand?

Personally, I feel the risk of buying used far outweighs the warranty issue of purchasing new. Obviously you want to buy from a good seller in the first place.

In my case it would have cost me shipping one way. So like $15 to get mine repaired from MIT.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!