I want to try a decent (inexpensive) USB cable for a portable HD

2»

Comments

• mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,194
    I have a straight 7 as well. A great USB cable.
  • vcwatkinsvcwatkins Posts: 1,584
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I found an Audioquest forest on Amazon for 35 bucks. Any opinions?

Although I haven't tested USB cables between HD and player/computer, I have found noticeable differences in USB cables between player and DAC. A few of the head-to-head comparisons were blind tested. I would rank the ones I've tried in this order (cable, $ paid mostly used):

WW Starlight 7 Platinum, $360
    Curious Cable $120
    DH Labs Silver Sonic Mirage $94
    WW Starlight Silver $200
    WW Starlight Red $49
    WW UV (purple) $56
    AQ Carbon $50
    AQ Forest $35
    Freebies $0
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 2,941
    vcwatkins was there really much difference between the Forrest and the Freebies? Since you ranked it so low I probably won't hear much of a difference. Plus It will spend most of its time on the Oppo and occasionally on the Auralic Mini it is probably better to squeeze out a lot more nickels and go with Wireworld but they one have one USB 3.0 option

https://store.wireworldcable.com/collections/usb-audio-cables/products/starlight-7-usb-3-0-audio-cables?variant=950479731
  • vcwatkinsvcwatkins Posts: 1,584
    Well, my first one to try was the Wireworld UV. BIG improvement over the freebies. Couldn't believe it. Slowly moved up (or sideways) after that. Probably should have skipped a few of those steps. Live and learn...

I really like the WW Starlight Red. It's what I use for USB 2.0 A-MiniB from PC to Meridian Explorer2 DAC for MQA testing. Good value IMO, especially used. @DSkip might have a good deal on a 3.0.

I never tried AQ Forest then switched back to cheapie, so not much help there. Also, these are all 2.0 between player and DAC (except for one phono pre ADC to PC).
    If I get a chance this weekend, I'll try one between a USB HD and PC. You've got me wondering if it might help.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 12,911
    IIRC, tophatjohnny reported an improvement when he got the Starlight 7 USB 3.0 cable for his hard drive.
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 2,941
    Thanks for the advice from all of yooz, I am gonna hold off and get it together for the Wireworld. I am hoping to squeeze a little more out of the Oppo since it is in the system that I use the most if not I will use it with the other system.

On a side note: A word to the wise, always buy cheap crap and be disappointed I could possibly slow you down. Get good stuff and all you want is more.
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 7,521
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice from all of yooz, I am gonna hold off and get it together for the Wireworld. I am hoping to squeeze a little more out of the Oppo since it is in the system that I use the most if not I will use it with the other system.

On a side note: A word to the wise, always buy cheap crap and be disappointed I could possibly slow you down. Get good stuff and all you want is more.

Easier, don't post questions, forum members like to spend other peoples money :)
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,288
    Nightfall wrote: »
    60% of the time it works every time.

And for the other 40% of the time, hit it with a hammer, it's sure to work after that.
2»