Near Field Monitors

Options
AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
So with the recent loss in vision having an impact on my choice of hobbies I'm wanting to get back in to audio, I'm basically replacing gaming which is hard on my eyes with audio. I want to start with the system in my office since I don't spend much time in the living room, I'm either up here working or we're out of the house.

What I'm looking for is a somewhat compact bookshelf type speaker that is suited for near field listening, we're talking maybe 2-3 ft apart and 2 feet from listening position. They don't need to be tiny like satellites, but the big Harbeths won't work either. Active speakers would be nice as it simplifies things but if I can't find good SQ in actives adding an amp is an option. I've got plenty of room for a sub so if there's a 2.1 system that's not your typical computer grade speaker I'm up for that as well.

To give a point of reference I've got some Focal XS Book speakers right now that actually sound quite nice, for computer speakers. One option on the table is keeping those and adding a small sub to fill in the bass, but before I close the door I wanted to see if there are other options that would give me better sound across the board.

I spent an obscene amount of money on surgeries with the eyes so funds are limited, I'd say under $1000 but if there's something magical above that price I can move things around and stretch the budget to $2K.

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Personally, if I didn't have the space for a 2 channel rig in my office, I would go with:
    http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems/A5-plus-Powered-Speakers
    and
    http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Subwoofers/S8-Powered-Subwoofer

for a nearfield setup.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    Options
    The Focal Alpha is getting good reviews.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    I saw that mentioned somewhere else also, I'll look at it
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I have a pair of Energy RC-10 speakers available. People here directed me toward them and I was very pleased with them. I moved on to a different brand and they're now sitting in their original boxes. These aren't huge speakers - technically a mini monitor but the 5 1/4" woofer throws out plenty of bass for its size.

Here's the listing on the flea market: http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176195/clearing-out-the-audio-closet-sale-speakers#latest
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    I'll look into those, but am mostly bummed out I missed the Dyns...
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I have a pair of audioengine A4's on my desk and they are pretty sweet. Hook hem up with a nice integrated and a compact sub.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • jawhog
    jawhog Posts: 444
    Options
    I've had a peachtree deepblue2 for about a year that's been great. I wasn't immediately sold on its sound relative to a traditional receiver and speakers. But the sound signature kind of grew on me and now it's probably the most listened to audio device in our house due to its ease of use. And having tone controls on the remote allows for on the fly adjustments if certain songs need a tweak or two. For nearfield I think it works quite well though because all the sound is up near your face instead of spread about with a 2.1 where the sub is on the floor. Surprisingly loud too.

I'm carefully watching their indiegogo campaign for the m24 monitors at about $240 for the moment. The m24 with 4-inch woofers looks like a speaker placed right in between audioengine's a2 and a5. If they came in satin black or white, I'd already be part of the campaign. Shipping soon.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Mark and Daniel. If a pair interest you, let me know before you jump on some.

Great recommendation Skip, would Luther bring a pair to LSAF for Danny to listen too???

He doesn't have to bring anything else, we can set them up on Voltz's rig
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    Any specific models you guys would recommend?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Any specific models you guys would recommend?

I know @F1nut runs NHT SB3s (modded of course) in his office setup. I used those for about a year in the master bedroom setup, great speakers. Acoustic suspension so placement is less fickle. Need some power to open up, a parasound HCA-1000 is excellent, nearfield a 750 would probably be more than sufficient.

I have been running definitive technology inclines with a sub, and I really like the combo, but its decidedly mid-fi/convenient; you could do better for a little more money if you piece together components.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Mark and Daniel. If a pair interest you, let me know before you jump on some.

Great recommendation Skip, would Luther bring a pair to LSAF for Danny to listen too???

He doesn't have to bring anything else, we can set them up on Voltz's rig

Won't work. You'll need an integrated from me... either the Dayens or North Star to open them up.

My Modwright :)
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• txcoastal1
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Neither is the Italy, which is going to be in Voltz's rig, and my Modwright is in Dallas and coming home

And no I'm not setting up a whole system...uh-uh...no way

Either way

• Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    I love my Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2's for near field listening. Lots of detail, plenty of bass, etc.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s