Help me understand

Options
13»

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    There's the "we have no humor" line gain after being called out. Perhaps you should stop being "funny" since it's doesn't appear to be working.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    There's the "we have no humor" line gain after being called out. Perhaps you should stop being "funny" since it's doesn't appear to be working.

H9

I have never told you to stop trying to be "smart", and that for sure is not working.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Ouch, that was quite the zinger! Still not funny

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Options
    Wow John, that is generous beyond belief! I will most gratefully accept. Not to make more work but what do I need to provide?
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    TForan wrote: »
    Chrysler Cordoba ? LOL! It was always a hideous POS.

Hey now I had one with a 440 and 4bbl carburetor. That thing flew down the highway. back to topic :D

A weak 400 ci was as good as it got in Cordoba world.

Well yes unless you pulled it and the tranny out of an old police car. Did i state in my post that it was stock??? Nope.

Well, OK, then. That and a couple of gold chains, a spray tan and you would rule the Jersey coast ! ;)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    stones89 wrote: »
    Wow John, that is generous beyond belief! I will most gratefully accept. Not to make more work but what do I need to provide?
    Gimpod circuit boards for starters... if someone could chime in with the parts list for us, that would be a big help. I would take the time to dig it up, but I have a screaming baby, barking dogs and a sleeping wife on my hands....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options

Hey now I had one with a 440 and 4bbl carburetor. That thing flew down the highway. back to topic :D

Well yes unless you pulled it and the tranny out of an old police car. Did i state in my post that it was stock??? Nope.

Well, OK, then. That and a couple of gold chains, a spray tan and you would rule the Jersey coast ! ;)

Yep if spray tan was available in 1978. It was my dads pimpmobile although he gave it to me in 1983 just in time for 1.00 a gallon gas boy was it thirsty and I had a heavy foot lol. no fine leather it was all valour inside
    I have a screaming baby, barking dogs and a sleeping wife on my hands....

slacker.... bet the wife does all that with one hand :p:p

• crashb4
    crashb4 Posts: 222
    Options

Ahhhh yes. The old 440 HP Pursuit. Still desirable.
    Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    crashb4 wrote: »

Ahhhh yes. The old 440 HP Pursuit. Still desirable.

Also, extremely rare. Most cop 440s were 280 hp.

• stones89
    Options
    Gimpod circuit boards for starters... if someone could chime in with the parts list for us, that would be a big help. I would take the time to dig it up, but I have a screaming baby, barking dogs and a sleeping wife on my hands....

Yikes! Believe me I understand! :#
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited April 2017
    Options

@nooshinjohn and @stones89

http://gimpod.com/parts23tl.html

and

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/138234/inductor-dcr-insanity-for-sdas

Trey or Westmassguy might be able to help with unwinding inductors if needed.

Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • stones89
    Options
    Thanks for the link JayCee. I have a couple of questions out for Westmassguy...
  • kevinko
    kevinko Posts: 165
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have a couple of questions out for Westmassguy...
    We need two of him here I think.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    Most of the parts are here for this little experiment. I will get started on the build next weekend...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    A new set of caps will solve the muddy problems you dislike. The first time you hear your 2.3s after upgrading you will probably freak out and curse everyone who told you to mod them. After about 200 hours on the new caps, you will retract your curses and just listen in amazement. Same musicality you loved before made 100 times better. Get a dreadnought and take them to an even higher level. You won't be disappointed.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    crashb4 wrote: »
    We should start calling the upgraded speakers Plus models. Modding and upgrading sounds like we are destroying the originals, when in reality, we are taking the speakers to a level that was intended by Matt and the other designers from the very beginning.

Very well said. Many of the mods listed here are recognized and endorsed by the Polk design team. The company states clearly that corners were cut to bring an affordable product to market per the Polk SDA Handbook and recommend upgrades to counter them.

Maybe, but as I have said the 2.3tl is a musical speaker in stock form. Put some really good components upstream and it is still musical. Not sure that's the speaker I want to squeeze out more resolution with mods.

The original Polk team may have cut corners but did they ever build a statement SRS SDA speaker using top shelf at the time, caps, inductors, etc.. in that box?

More knowledgeable Polkies would know better than I. I believe I would need another 2.3tl to experiment rather than modify mine.

I thought the same this as you do about my 2.3tls I had. I moved on from them to Magnepan for a while.... until I heard my 2.3TL!s in modded form. They blew my mind to the point that I immediately began searching for my current pair of 1.2TL's.

LOL John the feeling was mutual and costly on both ends of that demo! You heard your former 2.3 TLs fully modded and I heard them connected to your Pass Labs X1 pre which started my hunt for a X1 for myself!

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • stones89
    Options
    dpowell wrote: »
    A new set of caps will solve the muddy problems you dislike. The first time you hear your 2.3s after upgrading you will probably freak out and curse everyone who told you to mod them. After about 200 hours on the new caps, you will retract your curses and just listen in amazement. Same musicality you loved before made 100 times better. Get a dreadnought and take them to an even higher level. You won't be disappointed.

I am looking forward to it - it will be very interesting to hear the difference.