New Yamaha NS-1000's in the house

Options
Just scored some vintage Yamaha's. Near perfect. Anybody have any experience with them? Peace. Dl5pz358pyex8.jpg
MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”

Comments

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,048
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    Experience? I think he was looking for any...
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    I'd love to hear those someday, nice score!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    yes nice score. I heard them thru an old refurbed tube amp for a few
    beatles songs... it was like re-hearing it.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    I will keep you posted. I have had and loved them small monitors by Yamaha. I had never heard of these before. Almost walked right by them. Thinking they were some newer Cheap Kenwoods or something. Thanks to google on the smart phone. Very well reviewed speakers. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Conradicles
    Options
    Let me know if you want to sell them! B)
  • Dabutcher
    Options
    Where do you live? Surprisingly they weigh a wooping 68 pounds a piece! Thanks. D
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,101
    Options
    beryllium dome MR and tweeter (exotic, then and now), expensive (then and now) and well made. Attractive.

I don't much care for the sound of them, though.

Many folks do like them.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    edited March 2017
    Options

I don't much care for the sound of them, though.

Many folks do like them.

How did they sound to you?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Like loudspeakers -- without that sense of depth, richness and "there-ness" that I crave. They sound good but artificial. Like many audiophile loudspeakers (not that they were really such), to my ear, they called attention to themselves. That probably doesn't help much (and, in fairness, it's been a long time since I heard a pair).

I will say that Yamaha, over the years (and probably because they also make instruments & understand music, relative to the other Japanese conglomerates) made & shared with the US market some OK sounding loudspeakers. The little two way NS-4 of the late 1970s (I think I've got that right) were contenders in their price range -- but the Polk monitors, EPIs and the entry level (Teledyne-era) ARs of the same timeframe, to me, were a little better.

All of this being said, all of the Japanese big names did build some fine loudspeakers over the years -- but almost without exception, they weren't shared with the US domestic market. The Japanese big guns seemed to think we all wanted JBL L-100 clones.

• Dabutcher
    Options
    Plugged into my test system. Twenty year old 55 watt Yamaha receiver with Nachamichi CD and they sound light and airy with my Mark Knofler greatest hits. More to come. All drivers work as they should . So that is great news for me. Since I bought them untested. If i keep them. I will use in living room rig. Cabinets will need to be repainted . Peace. D.
  • try1256
    try1256 Posts: 26
    Options
    I have a set I bought in 1983. The can be very picky about amplification and placement. I have used them for everything from studio monitors to home theater.
    As mhardy said, the sound is not for everyone. I find myself gravitating more to my SDA 2a's but use the 1000's as a reference. The thing about the NS-1000m is it is truthful. Sometimes painfully so.
  • Dabutcher
    Options
    As you have owned them for 34 years. I was just wondering reliability? How have they stood up to the test of time? Thanks. D
  • try1256
    Options
    I replace one of the mid drivers back when Yamaha still had them. Other than that, no problems. The tweeters can be fragile and they are very hard to find if needed.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If memory serves the beryllium domes in the MR and tweeters are rather fragile (brittle) -- and pure beryllium was (and is) a very difficult material to work with (i.e., from which to fashion speaker driver diaphragms). I believe that (pure) beryllium metal is also rather toxic. That's not a concern for the owners of loudspeakers with beryllium-containing drivers, but it is kind of a disincentive for manufacturers :#

As an aside, I believe one or two of the ultra-high end loudspeaker makers today are once again using some beryllium diaphragms.
  • try1256
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    As an aside, I believe one or two of the ultra-high end loudspeaker makers today are once again using some beryllium diaphragms.

Focal

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Thanks -- they all run together for me, and I was too lazy to google.
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Options
    Good Score....Very nice monitors!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2017
    Options
    "As you have owned them for 34 years. I was just wondering reliability?"

I wonder if I have 34 years left in me? :#
    What does 34 years of dollar vinyl collecting look like?

Anyway, how do they sound to you?
    Does anyone know the sounding Yamaha speaker imported to the USA?
    Is this it?
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2017
    Options

Is this it?

Were the NS-2000s imported into the US? I think so(?) Did they sound any better than the NS-1000s? I dunno as I never heard them.

ns-2000.JPG

If you want an idea of the kinds of loudspeakers that the Japanese massmarket brands didn't share with the US market, peruse www.audio-heritage.jp

Here're the Yamahas, for example:

http://www.audio-heritage.jp/YAMAHA/speaker/index.html
    http://www.audio-heritage.jp/YAMAHA/speaker/index2.html

gf-1.JPG

In the home market, even Pioneer seemed to do a little better than the HPM-100 ;)

model2401twin.JPG
    (actually, those are a bit more modern, and technically I think in the US these would have been sold as TAD monitors by Pioneer)

As an aside: In the late 1970s, between the ravages of inflation, the strength of the yen, and the high cost of shipping due to the "energy crises" of 1974 and 1978, the big Japanese names made and sold many loudspeakers in the US. I have a pair of Pioneer Project 100A loudspeakers (which aren't bad, by the way) downstairs that were designed and built in the US, by "US Pioneer", e.g.
  • try1256
    Options

Is this it?

Properly placed with the right amplification, hey sound very good. I do find myself rolling off a bit of the mid range driver but that is more personal taste than any flaw. They will shine a light on poorly recorded source material and less than adequate up-line components. I am using a tube preamp with an Odyssey SS power amp which work quite well with them. My problem is my room. I don't have the space to permanently place them far enough apart to achieve optimum sound. I had them set up yesterday and had them sounding very, very good but the right speaker was in the middle of the doorway.

Believe it or not, my SDA 2a's are easier to position for the best sound within my room. The Polks are definitely less precise and resolving than the Yammy's but they are very enjoyable to listen to. I have thought about selling the Yammy's but as long as I have had them, it would be hard to let them go.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    try1256 wrote: »

Properly placed with the right amplification, [t]hey sound very good. I do find myself rolling off a bit of the mid range driver but that is more personal taste than any flaw. They will shine a light on poorly recorded source material and less than adequate up-line components...
    I'd interpret that (harummpf, cough, cough, harummpf) as evidence of their "Japanese JBL L-100 wannabe" status. Of course, that being said, I am an Altec Duplex/VOT fanboy, so -- ahem -- enhanced midrange isn't something I disdain
    :/
    I am using a tube preamp with an Odyssey SS power amp which work quite well with them. My problem is my room. I don't have the space to permanently place them far enough apart to achieve optimum sound. I had them set up yesterday and had them sounding very, very good but the right speaker was in the middle of the doorway.

Believe it or not, my SDA 2a's are easier to position for the best sound within my room. The Polks are definitely less precise and resolving than the Yammy's but they are very enjoyable to listen to. I have thought about selling the Yammy's but as long as I have had them, it would be hard to let them go.

That's interesting -- had I a pair, I wouldn't them go, either, truth be told (Yamaha fanboy that I am).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    anyway, if anyone gets bored w/ theirs... >:)
  • Dabutcher
    Options
    Where do you live? Probly too expensive for shipping? Two boxes at at least 80 pounds each. Peace. D
  • Conradicles
    Options
    NC for me. 28601.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'll be driving back to NC in a couple weeks. I can meet him and bring them back for you Eric.
    Lemme know, Bro.
  • Conradicles
    Options
    I am interested if the price is right!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Y'all hash it out and I'll make it happen.
  • Dabutcher
    Options
    Price is probly not going to be right. With my 100 percent happy feedback on 2,000 Ebay transactions . I can part out the six perfect drivers for a thousand dollars. Cabinets are going for $100 a piece plus a hundred for shipping. Xovers ? I forgot? Plus if I have to ship? PITA! Two bulletproof boxes weighing 85-90 pounds. Probly $200 to ship to east or west coast. Really do not want to ship. Let me spend this week with them to get a better listen. Main system is HT and that's not changing. Living room system sounds good with my brand new LSiM 703's. So to keep them and use them it would have to be living room. Conrad gets first dibs if I sell and ship and he accepts the price. Thanks. D