A Crying Shame

Options
Won these pretty Monitor 4's with Peerless tweets on eBay. They arrived in a flimsy box with some packing peanuts thrown in. You could see one of the cabinets was damaged through a torn corner of the box. I refused it.
Why ??????
2bozjsr4hp9x.jpg

Comments

• kevinko
    kevinko Posts: 165
    Options
    $125 plus shipping which was $50
  • kevinko
    Options
    It hurts a little y'know? He knew they were rare.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Damn, they looked minty too.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kevinko
    Options
    I turned here for some commiserating empathy to ease the pain.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    I was tempted by those myself for an office setup, glad I passed.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • kevinko
    Options
    Maybe the seller will wood veneer them in consolation and ship them back.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    :D:D:D ...wood be nice (pun) but unlikely. If he couldn't pack it he wont be able to wrap it
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    ^^HA! >:)B)
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    Options
    I was wondering if it was somebody on here that won them. I doubt anybody but someone that knows about their scarcity would consider paying close to $200 for a tiny pair of old Polk bookies.

Did you take any pictures of the damage? Just curious to see.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • kevinko
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Did you take any pictures of the damage? Just curious to see.
    No pics. All I could see was one corner of one cabinet. I was tempted to still take them home but that box was a mess. Who knows what I would have found inside.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    I would have still taken them, gotten them reveneered. It'll be a minute before you run into another pair.

• kevinko
    Options
    I let the seller know that if there was only cosmetic damage to contact me and see if we could work something out. I have a pair of mint 5jr cabinets (with the port) that I could throw the drivers, tweets, and xo in. Just a thought. We'll see.
  • Nightfall
    edited February 2017
    Options
    There's no iteration of 5JR that used Peerless and I'm pretty sure the cabinet is larger and the port not tuned for a MW6500.

• kevinko
    Options
    You are correct. SL1000s and MW6502 in my 5jrs. It would be a purely experimental... um, experiment.

I also have RDO-194's sitting here that I could use in the 5jr. I'm not crazy about gnawing into the cabinets to make 'em fit though.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Had a pair like those with the Peerless tweeter. Paid $20 for them. Drivers were good.
    The cabinets were beat up a bit, so I repair things and put some cherry veneer on them. Rebuilt the crossovers and had a really nice set. Gave them to my daughters boyfriend as a college graduation gift. Been keeping my eyes open for another pair at a decent price.ck0pobbqqssr.jpg
    af20m0h89pfu.jpg
    tqzwnyq30jk9.jpg
    9tipm23tw9rt.jpg
    , The cabinets were beat up a bit, so I repair things and put some cherry veneer on them. Rebuilt the crossovers and had a really nice set. Gave them to my daughters boyfriend as a college graduation gift. Been keeping my eyes open for another pair at a decent price.
  • kevinko
    Options
    There's a pair in a slightly rounded box bound for South Carolina trailing packing peanuts as we speak.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    Too funny kevin, I still feel that if the 7B crossover inductors are measured, the key to the 5Jr peerless swap would be found.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • kevinko
    Options
    westmass has shot down the idea. He has his reasons. And I can't argue against him cause I couldn't understand a word he said.

A ported 5jr with Peerless would be the best Polk bookshelf they never made. So it remains a mild obsession with me.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    I have a set of Monitor 4 at home in the original box and packaging. I can't remember if they are Peerless or not. I think one MW might be frozen though. I have never even hooked them up LOL! I didn't know they were a thing.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• kevinko
    Options
    The Peerless is the thing. Otherwise a dime a dozen.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Ahh - gotcha! I'll have to have a look!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• xschop
    Options
    Much respect for WMG here. According to F1, no one has actually measured those inductors and reported it anyways. That leaves a possible mod on the table in my book.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 744
    Options
    Has anyone compared the Peerless 4 to 4A cabinets and the port? That may be a starting point. I also swear I have seen an M4 in a what looked like a 5jr sized cabinet. I would think you could tune the 5jr cabinet for a MW6500 with some playing around.

On a side note, I finally got an L/C/R so I should be able to get inductor values on M5A's and M5 Series II, when I get some free time, which may be a while.
  • kevinko
    Options
    For what it's worth, the port hole in my 5jrs has no tube. There is Poly-fil only in the top half of the enclosure. And the hole is set a little lower than the 4's.
  • xschop
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I owned the non peerless Mon 4s at same time as 5jrs. Hooked to same amp the 5jrs dug much deeper, but there was no tube in the Jrs like the 4s so they chuffed at higher volumes. Its an easy fix by fluting the 5jr ports with a grinder. The 5jr with peerless would be awesome.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you haven't already done it, file a claim with Paypal just in case the seller turns into Richard Cranium saying it's not his problem they got damaged. So long as tracking shows they were redelivered back to him, you've done what you're supposed to do for Buyer Protection Policies.

And file with Paypal. Not with eBay. Paypal gives you your money back. eBay can give you an eBay credit to use for future purchases. It's crazy.

Having gone through this exact same thing a few times now when David Dip$hit drops a home speaker in a box and tapes it shut thinking it'll be fine without protection. Most Pack-Mail stores these days have expanding foam machines that can pack them as safely as when new so there's no excuse for crappy packing any more. I would have still taken delivery and had the carrier note damage in tracking history. Check them out, then contact the seller with pics and what I thought about it. A couple of times I've had the seller give me a refund and tell me to keep them cuz they insured them and get reimbursed. A broken off or smooshed in corner is easily fixed with epoxy or wood filler. Then veneer or laminate them. If you can't do it yourself, there are cabinet shop everywhere that can knock it out for you. With an impact like that the mid-woofer could have shifted too. Something else to deal with but fixable. Really depends on how bad you want that particular model speaker. First thing to do though is let Paypal know what's going on and not just hope the seller will do the right thing.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 744
    Options
    The 5jr cabinet is larger than the 4A's. I believe the tube on the 4's is to tune them to a lower frequency because of the smaller cabinet.

My non peerless 4A's whistle without the grill. If the grill is on, I still here a little chuffing and whistle depending on the frequency.
  • kevinko
    Options
    Thank you for that advice. Tracking shows that they were delivered back to the seller yesterday. He did reply to me that he would issue a full refund. So we'll see. I've never refused an eBay delivery so wasn't sure what the best move was at the time.