Is $260 a good deal for mint RTi4s and CSi5?

Options
I'm a little out of the loop when it comes to pricing on these speakers, but I am able to purchase a pair of RTi4s and the CSi5 for $260. They are in mint condition, not a scratch on them. I know they are the older of the RTiA series, but wasn't sure if these were typical sale prices or not, or if I'm actually getting a deal. Thanks!

Comments

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    There is a pair of RTi4's on our local CL for $85 and they have been there for a while. And there is a CSi5 for $130, so your's may be slightly high but not out of the ballpark if they are minty. Maybe offer a little less?
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited February 2017
    Options
    We got the Rti6 (pair) brand new on Polks Ebay site for $169.99.....a few years ago.

Yours sound a tad high maybe..
  • butie120
    Options
    Ok, so he's willing to do this with me : RTi4 for $115 and CSi5 for $116. Prices include shipping. Jump on this or pass em up?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    It's a solid deal, I am just not a big fan of that particular iteration of the series personally. I would rather have rt25is and a cs400i, which you could definitely find on ebay for that price, just might have to be a little patient. Everything is better in that series, more natural midrange, no bump in the highs, and because they are more balanced overall the bass sounds a bit more pronounced, which I prefer. YMMV...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • butie120
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    It's a solid deal, I am just not a big fan of that particular iteration of the series personally. I would rather have rt25is and a cs400i, which you could definitely find on ebay for that price, just might have to be a little patient. Everything is better in that series, more natural midrange, no bump in the highs, and because they are more balanced overall the bass sounds a bit more pronounced, which I prefer. YMMV...

Interesting. And here I thought these were regarded as pretty good speakers, especially for HT. Maybe I'll have to rethink this...
  • rooftop59
    Options
    They are good speakers, and depending on what you are coming from and your listening preferences you might really enjoy them.

What is your other equipment and what are you upgrading from?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • butie120
    Options
    I'm coming from the Pioneer BS22 and matching center SP-C22. It seems the Pioneers are pretty good at some music, but at times seem a little flat for HT use, which got me interested in the Polks. Do you think there will be a noticeable difference here? I'm running this with a SVS PB 2000 subwoofer so I have the low end covered.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    what receiver do you have? what is the main source for movies?
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • K_M
    Options
    They have a bit too much treble, some like that type of sound, some do not.

We have the Rti6 in one set up, but with a sub. We keep the treble down 1.5 db and it is pretty decent for music OR HT.
  • K_M
    Options
    butie120 wrote: »
    I'm coming from the Pioneer BS22 and matching center SP-C22. It seems the Pioneers are pretty good at some music, but at times seem a little flat for HT use, which got me interested in the Polks. Do you think there will be a noticeable difference here? I'm running this with a SVS PB 2000 subwoofer so I have the low end covered.

You will find the Rti4 (which I have heard, but only own the Rti6) to sound fairly bright in comparison. But everyone is different, if you like a bit brighter it may be fine for you.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Those Pioneers are pretty highly regarded for their value. You will get a different sound but might not be moving up the food chain much with the RTi4's. And rooftop's suggestion is a good one if you can find them.

What is your budget and is it mainly for HT use or music?
  • butie120
    Options
    I have a Denon 2112CI for my receiver. I'm not nessecarily looking for new speakers at the moment, meaning I would be fine not getting anything, but this deal popped up and wanted something maybe more lively for HT. This is primarily for HT use, just a little casual music. I'm using it with a projection screen. Main source for movies is a sony blu ray player, always using blu rays, a little Netflix streaming here and there.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Yes budget is crucial.

I would recommend the Energy RC-10s in the FM. I really liked them, and they will give you what you are wanting, more, um, energy (a little more forward in presentation, more air and detail) than the pioneers, without the sizzle of the RTis. Another similarly priced speaker to consider would be the definitive technology studio monitor 350s (or 450s if you can swing them).

If you've never heard the rti4/6, then its hard to say if you will like them...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • butie120
    Options
    What does the "FM" mean? They do look nice, although not sure where you can purchase them as they don't even show up on amazon. Plus, in getting the matching center these would probably be way more expensive than what I can get for the current RTis. It's a little strange in a Polk forum to have people tell me the RTis might not be worth it, lol "Get the energy instead". Perhaps my Pioneer setup is all I really need. Ugh...
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    FM is the polk Audio Forum Flea Market where fellow polkies can sell to one another... must have 100 posts to qualify for selling items though.
    Everything is related... what are you going to be driving them with? Oh, I see the Denon 2112... might be a little low in the wattscurrent dept.
    Sometimes hard to just update one component when the upgrading of one drives the need to upgrade another.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,878
    Options
    Buy them you'll end up keeping the 5 as it's a good centre speaker. Try the 4 if you don't like them then just flip them .
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    Buy them you'll end up keeping the 5 as it's a good centre speaker. Try the 4 if you don't like them then just flip them .

I do agree that it is a good center channel, and that the rti4s still go for a good price on ebay, so you should be able to flip them easily if you decide.

If you want more sizzle and excitement, then the rtis will bring that.

Here are other options:

1. http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176195/clearing-out-the-audio-closet-sale-speakers#latest

2. http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176148/boston-acoustics-vr-speakers-for-sale-complete-7-1-or-will-separate#latest

Its not really odd to recommend other speakers here. We all love polk and that's what got many of us into this hobby, and this just happens to be the best audio forum around so we stick around. but it wouldn't be the best forum if we only recommended polk when there are so many other great speakers out there...

Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    The RTi4s with a CSi5 are a good match for HT.

That is what the OP was asking for.

In a small to medium sized room with a mid-grade AVR, wonderful combo.

For music - well, at low to moderate volumes coupled with a decent sub would give some pleasing results.

How would I know? Cuz that is what I started with - well RTi4s with a CSi3 center.

The better the amplification, the better the results.

I hate laid back, rolled off speakers touted for 'music'. Makes me strain to hear detail/nuance.

$231 for the combo which includes shipping? Try it and if you don't like it - flip it.

You wouldn't be out any money and you can say that you actually tried it...for yourself.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • butie120
    Options
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    The RTi4s with a CSi5 are a good match for HT.

That is what the OP was asking for.

In a small to medium sized room with a mid-grade AVR, wonderful combo.

For music - well, at low to moderate volumes coupled with a decent sub would give some pleasing results.

How would I know? Cuz that is what I started with - well RTi4s with a CSi3 center.

The better the amplification, the better the results.

I hate laid back, rolled off speakers touted for 'music'. Makes me strain to hear detail/nuance.

$231 for the combo which includes shipping? Try it and if you don't like it - flip it.

You wouldn't be out any money and you can say that you actually tried it...for yourself.

Thanks for your response. That helped a lot. I went ahead and bought the speakers and they should be here by this weekend so I will get to test them out. I can always purchase the RTiA3 from Best Buy to see how that compares to the RTi4 and see if the extra money would really be worth it or not. I was actually trying to read your shoot out review but it seems like the link is now broken. Do you still happen to have that write up by chance? I'd be curious to read it!

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Well, if you can 'undo' the RTi4 buy, and you can get a return agreement on the RTiA3s, then that might be your best bang for the buck.

The RTiA3s will only be a marginal upgrade over the RTi4s - and the return on that will depend on the deal you can get.

If you can't 'undo' the RTi4 deal - stick with that, then save up for a more significant step up when you get to that branch in the rabbit hole.

Is this the link you were looking for?
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/72553/rtia3-vs-rti4-death-match-coming-soon

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • butie120
    Options
    I already purchased the RTi4s and can't "undo" that. The RTiA3s I will have 15 days from best buy. I'm assuming I can sell these RTi4s in my area for around the price I paid. I also bought the CSi5 for $115. I don't see an issue selling this at this price if need be. Yes! That's the link. I imagine the RTia3 will be even less significant with a sub. Does that sound right to you?
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Enjoy your "new" speakers!

I had the RTi6 in my bedroom setup for awhile and they did fine with the HT but they weren't my favs for music reproduction.

We all hear things differently so, as long as they sound good to you, that's all that matters!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    I like my RTi4 speakers, I have two sets, one in my bedroom and the other is at work rocking the warehouse for 40+ hours a week for years. They just need a decent sub and you are all set.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • butie120
    Options
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    Well, if you can 'undo' the RTi4 buy, and you can get a return agreement on the RTiA3s, then that might be your best bang for the buck.

The RTiA3s will only be a marginal upgrade over the RTi4s - and the return on that will depend on the deal you can get.

If you can't 'undo' the RTi4 deal - stick with that, then save up for a more significant step up when you get to that branch in the rabbit hole.

Is this the link you were looking for?
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/72553/rtia3-vs-rti4-death-match-coming-soon

So I read your impressions again. It sounds like the RTiA 3s did perform better for you but as you said not by much. I actually spoke to a Paul representative and he told me that the A3 is a significant upgrade to the A1. He said even though you will be crossing it over with the subwoofer that the crossover will be more seamless because the A3 can dig lower. But I'm just not so sure this is corrected vice with that logic being that the A3 only has a 10hz advantage on the A1. I ordered the RTiA 3 from Crutchfield and I get it for 60 days. I can send it back for only $10 which is a pretty good deal. It'll be interesting to hear the comparison between the two in my room.