Confused as usual

Options
Like many of us, I have acquired several sets of Polks over the years.

One of my finds was a set of SDA SRS 2.3TL's. Seemed in fine shape and bought a pair of 2b's along with them. They sat in storage for several years and recently were brought home to the ranch here in Fairbanks by means of a road trip from Portland OR via the ALCAN.
They made the trip just fine. I had also bought a Dreadnaught from another member which had also sat in storage and it was brought home as well.

After a while I moved the 1C's out and slid the 2.3's into place. I went to plug the interconnect cable from the 1c's in and that is when I realized that they (2.3) had come with a blade/blade cable while the 1C's had a pin blade. Oh well, I thought and swapped them out. Ignorance being bliss in so many things in life.
Have enjoyed them immensely the last couple of months and with the recent sales and interest of the Dreadnaught cases by Toolfan, figured now was the time to slip the Dreadnaught into the system.
Whipped out the 'The SDA Handbook' prepared by DarqueKnight and started reading the instructions. Soon realized that it was talking about cutting up your pin/blade cable to inject the Dreadnaught.

Hmmmm..... I have a B/B interconnect, that doesn't sound right.

Flipped back a few pages to read the characteristics of 2.3 versus 2.3TL's. Both come with a P/B interconnect and I have a B/B. Isn't that odd I thought?
Read the description of how the midrange drivers are mirrored from 2.3 to 2.3TL's. Pulled off the covers and confirmed that mine are arranged like 2.3TL's, meaning 4 drivers on the inside edge of the speaker. Hmmmmmm.....
Turned them around, see that the serial numbers are 'SRS 2.3TL R 4217, L 4229". Hmmmmmmm....
Read that all drivers should be MW6510s. Stand up pull drivers from both speakers and find that they are MW 6510's with a 1989 date on them. Hmmmmmm.
Tweeters are supposed to be SL3000's. Visually confirm this. Hmmmm....

So apparently I have a set of 2.3Tl's with a B/B interconnect cable.

I am all ears on this one if anyone has any ideas as to what I have here.

Nathan
miywt438o9xw.jpg

wlu523tpaykc.jpg
o4o1djp50l16.jpg
h0k68as193p3.jpg

Home Rig

SDA 2.3TL's front and center
Polk 1000p Center
Pioneer Elite SC35 Receiver (Pre/Surround
Sunfire Cinema Grand 5X200-Back in the mix.
OPPO BDP-93
Squeezebox
Stepped up to name brand Speaker Cables and interconnects!
Monitor 4, 5, 7, 10's, SDA 1B's, 2B's, 2.3TL's, RTA 15TL's all in storage waiting for me.
Sales Rating #1!!

Comments

• WastelandWand'r
    Options
    I might have to change my signature if I can't confirm their status as TL.s
    Home Rig

Polk 1000p Center
    OPPO BDP-93
    Squeezebox
    Monitor 4, 5, 7, 10's, SDA 1B's, 2B's, 2.3TL's, RTA 15TL's all in storage waiting for me.
    Sales Rating #1!!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/83124/sda-srs-2-3tls-in-seattle-wa

The subject came up in 2009 when you bought them. You weren't kidding about having them in storage for a while!

Definitely 2.3TLs but they installed the BB connector at the factory for some reason that build day. I think the consensus now is to replace the sockets with Neutrik connectors if using a Dreadnaught.
  • WastelandWand'r
    Options
    Emlyn,
    Crapp I searched for threads and missed this one. What the hel. Getting on in years is not helping me. Thanks for the link. I see it was 2009 so at least I have that excuse for not remembering, if that is an excuse. Prevagen anyone?
    Yes, I have considered the Neutrik but thought that with a blade blade I was sunk based on how they were wired differently than B/P.
    Will continue investigating it.
    Many thanks,
    Nathan

Home Rig

Polk 1000p Center
    OPPO BDP-93
    Squeezebox
    Sales Rating #1!!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    They're TL's.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • WastelandWand'r
    Options
    Indeed. An odd duck pair.
    Home Rig

Polk 1000p Center
    OPPO BDP-93
    Squeezebox
    Sales Rating #1!!
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Nathan, I think the consensus in the thread that Emlyn linked is that they are true 2.3TLs all the way (except the odd inclusion of blade/blade connector). Internal wiring looks to be same as all 2.3TL. The tip-off for me is that the inside of the blade-blade connector shows that both blades are electrically involved. When I converted my blade-blade 2BTL for use with the Dreadnaught, I needed to add a 2nd connection wire to allow for proper Dreadnaught functioning.

Others will hopefully come along and concur. Jesse knows a thing or two about 2.3TL and would be a good voice to hear from.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Definitely 2.3TL's. Replace the socket with a Neutrik SpeakOn, make yourself a new SDA cable for the Dreadnought and don't look back. The blue marked wire is positive, the white is negative.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk