Please tell me if this is not normal!

Options
13»

Comments

• codycatalist
    Options
    I switched out the speaker wire and think that may be the culprit. I am going to test further today and make sure.

Scratch that.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Slapaho wrote: »
    I ran into an issue very similar to this years ago in some custom speakers I was building. The side notches in the main tweeter holes were deep enough so the wood was forcing the connectors inward towards the magnets causing the diaphragm plates to bend and distort. Made the notches larger and problem solved.
    In my Monitor 12.2's, I had to open the terminal notches a little with a rat tail file for RDO-198's to drop in smoothly.
    Also make sure all 4 corners of the tweeter plate are settling down inside the routing. One corner sticking up is going to tweak the top plate when the screws are snugged up. That would put a bend to the diaphragm too.
    Easy test. Simply slide the tweeter out of the cabinet while playing and see if the issue continues or goes away.

I believe you are on to something. When testing not screwed down it sounds fine but once I put them in it starts again. Held them in place and screwed them in slowly and didnt over tighten. They sound much better now, granted some do this regardless but I was able to get 2 that sound right.

I'm gonna play a little more and post any updates here.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member