RTi a9s Volume question

Options
So I'm running a pair of RTI a9s and a Polk sub through a Yamaha RX-V781 receiver and a Crown XLS-1502 amp.

Everything sounds extremely good when I really turn up the volume, but I feel like I can barely hear it when watching TV or listening to music until I turn up the volume almost all the way.

For example, for what it's worth my volume range goes from -80 db to +16 db. For regular TV or music I need to have it around -05 db or so. So if my math is correct, that's about 80% volume which seems quite high. -05 db is fine for normal stuff, yet they get significantly louder when brought to 0 db and higher. Much much much louder.

I'm assuming I have the right setting for the amp selected on my receiver. It's set to "Basic" under Power Amp Assign. Just wondering if this is normal for these speakers? Thanks.

n3b4ihxai529.jpg

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'd guess your Crown needs more input voltage than the Yamaha's preout is giving it.

Have you run YPAO?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,882
    Options
    Do you need drc on? Dynamic range control
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    That's way off, go into your speaker settings on the receiver and see where the speaker levels are at. Should be close,+ or- to 0.

The receiver alone should be driving them better than that. You may also have an impedance mismatch thing going on. Some pro amp have an adjustment for that too, see if your Crown does.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    I believe your crown has an adjustable input sensitivity. It has 1.4v or .775v, use the .775 as that will better align with your receivers output.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mapex636
    Options
    I already had set my amp to .775v and it helped a little. As for trying YPAO, no I haven't tried that yet as I figured it wouldn't do much since I'm running stereo sound?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    Options
    Ummmm.....yeah.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    Options
    mapex636 wrote: »
    I already had set my amp to .775v and it helped a little. As for trying YPAO, no I haven't tried that yet as I figured it wouldn't do much since I'm running stereo sound?

Then your problem rests with a setting in the receiver. Run the calibration, then re-visit those settings to see if you can tweek them more to your liking. Of course, we are assuming you have everything hooked up right.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's