PS Audio GCP-200

Options
Anyone have this preamp and/or had the upgrade to it offered by PS Audio?

Mine is approaching 10 years old and the right channel first was oh so slightly out of balance (correctable) then started HF clipping at even moderate volume levels. I swapped channels and gear until I was sure the pre was the culprit. My unit has what I believe are the Gen 1 gain cells. They are potted (by that I mean resin filled) so no hope of troubleshooting any discrete components.

I contacted PSA and they have "a comprehensive repair package that will provide you with an entirely overhauled GCP complete with a 1 year warranty." This package sells for a flat rate of $400.00 + shipping. I followed-up with them requesting a breakdown of just what is overhauled and pics of an overhauled chassis if possible. Still awaiting that info.

So, thought I'd query the forum to see if someone else may have already done this.

Happy listening!

Mike

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    Options
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    Options
    Can't help you on that one Mike, but the price doesn't seem bad for a complete overhaul.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    That was my thought also.
  • BlueMDPicker
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Can't help you on that one Mike, but the price doesn't seem bad for a complete overhaul.

Thanks Jesse, I do agree. I started the dialog with an online service request form, primarily to see if they still serviced/supported a component of this age. The original support tech who responded provided the info in my original post. When I followed-up with a request for what was involved in the overhaul package, a second tech gave a sketchier answer: "the full overhaul means they will completely take apart the unit, test everything, and replace anything that might be bad." Here's where I am with them as of yesterday afternoon:

"Hi xxxxx,

Thanks for the expanded info. I'm sincerely not trying to put too fine a point on all this, but I'm still unclear what I would be purchasing in the $400 overhaul referenced by xxxxx.

Would I be receiving replacement of ONLY components found to be out of tolerance, or would the population of all three internal boards--power, I/O and control--be refreshed? This is an important consideration for a number of reasons. I would not want to, for example, only have failing discrete components replaced on one channel when ALL components are the same age and, therefore, subject to high probability of similar failure in the short term. Additionally, I would not want to spend $400 to simply replace a potentiometer, as an example, and hope everything else remains stable beyond a 1-year warranty period.

For a number of years, third party vendors (Underwood, Cullen, etc) have done factory approved upgrades to various PS Audio components. In fact, I own a few of them. In all cases, I knew exactly what was to be upgraded. So, I'm seeking that kind of specificity if I'm purchasing "a comprehensive repair package". If you're troubleshooting and replacing an out of spec part/parts, $400 seems high.

As I previously stated, I have several PS Audio products and have had a few serviced in the past to my complete satisfaction. I have no doubt your techs could easily diagnose and repair the issue I'm having with this preamp. I just need the clarification stated above.

Best regards,"

Being too anal? :*

I will call them next week and see if I can sort this out. This has been my go to preamp for a number of system configs, so hope I can get it back on the road.

Mike
  • DarqueKnight
    Options
    I have had better luck getting straight answers in the past dealing directly with the tech support manager. I don't know who that person currently is. When you call, get that person's name and email address and copy CEO Paul McGowan on the email. Paul's email is paul@psaudio.com.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    +1, I would want to know exactly what was being done as well.
    IMO, $400 is not pocket change for most people, and even if it is, you still have a right to an itemized list of what will be done. This is by no means skepticism for PS Audio in particular, I would feel the same about any company doing work like this.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • BlueMDPicker
    Options
    Thanks @dromunds, @polrbehr and @DarqueKnight!

I'll let you know what I find out. My first reaction to the overhaul was hope it would include the current generation of gain cell they are now beta testing in a soon to be released preamp.

Pinch hitting until something is resolved is my Carver Research Lightstar Direct. Oh my does it ever synergize well in the hybrid ESL rig!

2bkffyc4ml8h.jpg
  • F1nut
    Options
    Not too anal. A comprehensive repair package should be what it says, comprehensive.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueMDPicker
    Options
    Revised pricing, after speaking to the Customer Service Manager, of $250 + shipping to put everything to spec with 1-year warranty.

Off she goes to CO.
  • dromunds
    Options
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I received my favorite preamp back today as good as new--perhaps better.

The right channel gain cell was failing so they replaced both channels, all four power supply caps and checked that everything else was still to spec. PS Audio is rolling out their new DAC/Pre combo this week built around a new generation gain cell. I haven't had the hood up to verify, but I do believe my unit has the next gen cells.

It sounds fantastic in all respects. My Carver Research Lightstar Direct had been pinch hitting. It's, without question, a fine preamp. But, I'd say the GCP-200 bests it by a good margin.

Jeremy Bretey is the Customer Service Manager and welcomes direct contact via telephone (866-406-8946) or email (jeremyb@psaudio.com).

Chalk me up a satisfied customer once more!

If you're not familiar with this pre, and get a chance to pick one up for a decent price, I would highly recommend it.

Happy listening!

me8mrxj8tgcd.jpg
  • F1nut
    Options
    I've had nothing but stellar customer service from PS Audio.

President of Club Polk

• dromunds
    Options
    Glad it worked out for you, at a very reasonable price.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Thanks @dromunds !

I have the external power supply unit for this pre as well. After some critical listening with/without it, it's clear the onboard power supply benefited from the recap. So, my next project will most likely be a recap of the external unit.