ok, youse guyses are gonna roll your eyes...

Options
A while back, I bought a pair of Canare speaker cables
http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/174458/canare-wire-it-just-keeps-showing-up

I've been using them here of late with the Nelson Pass/First Watt/DIY "Amp Camp Amp" variant that nearly magically showed up recently on my doorstep.

OK, today I did - finally - A/B the amp with my normal amp (a slight variant of the JE Labs "Simple 2A3" design) with the "Amp Camp" amplifier.

Being one lazy m - of - o, I just switched the cables :) I hadn't tried the Canare cabling on the 2A3 amp before.

holy moly.

I was using "interesting" cabling on the SE 2A3 amp before (some cryo-treated 18 AWG magnet wire stuff from an actual brand of some sort) - that I thought sounded pretty good (i.e., better than zip cord).

I am in a very different place now.

OK?

:blush:

Comments

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    Rolling my eyes alright...how did you get dkfreebird's cables?

Congrats on your new find! Now, you need to start at one end of that warehouse of yours and see what a difference the cables make on all things functional.

That should keep you busy for a while.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options
    I'm not actually cabling naive; just loath to spend big bucks on small pieces of wire.
    If I started now, I'd die of old age before I got all of the LPs here cleaned and listened to. I don't need another set of tasks to do ;)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,080
    Options
    :*
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    Who made that stuff? Obviously anything sold by the OP on that cable must have been underpriced!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Instead of rolling eyes, can I just laugh :D:D:D
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Great! Their stuff is not so bad and of course cheap! B)
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    On the other serious side - what are your takes on those amps?
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited January 2017
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I am in a very different place now.

OK?

:blush:
    I guess you get to stay. ;)

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,050
    Options
    So if I'm reading this correctly the canare is the better sounding cable?
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ALL212 wrote: »
    On the other serious side - what are your takes on those amps?

The "amp camp" amplifier is a very good sounding piece of hardware, top to bottom. It has the finesse and immediacy of "any" good single-ended* amplifier.

To my ears, on the current, slightly bizarre configuration of my Franken-Duplexes, and using the same preamplifer, the single ended 2A3 amp outdoes the ACA. However, the 2A3 amp (also DIY) was about 5x the cost of the ACA (both DIYs, so that's a rough estimate of the delta). The output impedance of the preamp I am using may not be optimal for the ACA (or maybe for the 2A3 amp, either, truth be told).

Oh, and the ACA certainly has better HF extension/output than the 2A3 amp (which has good, but not great OPTs on it).

The Canare wire has improved the depth, spaciousness ('separation'), and clarity compared to the cabling I've been using on the 2A3 amp.

The ACA had sounded so good with the Canare cables that I decided that, when I went back to try the 2A3 amp (an "A/B" test, which I've been meaning to do) I knew I wanted to try them on the tube amp. Glad I did.

You guys can laugh, poke fun, whatever --- just please, please please don't goad me into putting $2k cabling on a $1.5-ish k amplifier :(

Please?
    * Remember, all single-ended amps are Class A, but not all Class A amps are single-ended.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    OK.....I just fell off my chair. Lol I'm laughing so hard I have To go pee. LMAO.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    So if I'm reading this correctly the canare is the better sounding cable?

Yes.
    Better than what, you may ask?
    I am glad you asked.

http://www.jwaudio.net/Cryo-Nova-Speaker-Cables.html

0_0_0_0_442_293_csupload_36275348_large.jpg?u=1971047308
    (from their website -- which still exists, it appears)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    OK.....I just fell off my chair. Lol I'm laughing so hard I have To go pee. LMAO.

Get the net, Tony.....this one might fight a little before landing in the boat.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Too funny.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    The CryoNovas must have just thawed out, Mark! You should have put them outside in the NE winter weather for a little while to get them prepped for action again. No wonder they lost it.
  • stuwee
    stuwee Posts: 1,508
    Options
    I haven't laughed this hard in days, great thread guys!! What were we talkin' about? O, cables...or was it amps? Anyhoo, great fun!!
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • tonyb
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

Get the net, Tony.....this one might fight a little before landing in the boat.

This one is mantel material Russ. lol

Oh crap Mark, if you ever wanted to explore cables you don't have to sell 20 acres to get there. So much on the used markets for a couple hundies it's ridiculous.

You know my theory to keep the other half from snuffing you out in your sleep, if you want something, sell something. Judging by the looks of that audio room of yours, your not shy of things to sell either.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You know my theory to keep the other half from snuffing you out in your sleep, if you want something, sell something. Judging by the looks of that audio room of yours, your not shy of things to sell either.

Yeah, Mrs. H subscribes to that theory, too. I haven't bought into it yet, unfortunately :*
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    You want me to send you some IC's to go with the Canares? You can use them to hookup that "common law" phono amp you got.

What i am doing here is just prepping you for when you send me the ACA and you never see it again. That's a fair trade in my book.... ;)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    At the moment, as best I can figure it, the ACA sort of belongs to the Forum -- although, as of now, one kind benefactor is "all in" for its purchase price (and it ain't me)!

I am going to post a separate thread -- probably two, actually -- on that subject anon. Still fomenting.

I look at that little Reduction, sittin' there like an eager puppy, very often and get a good ol' tinge of guilt goin' about that, too.

Again, there's a thread to be born around that topic, too.
    Since I know our buddy Halo's entered the phono preamp fray, now (or soon) is probably a good time.

Does any of the above make any sense at all? ;)
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options

No. B)
  • tonyb
    Options

No. B)

Lmao.....and coming from a professor one has to ask how many former students left his class scratching their heads.

Just bustin' balls Mark, but ya have to admit....it is pretty darn funny.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Even as a teacher/lecturer, I always figure that if I cannot inform, I can at least entertain.

Actually, my previous, ill-focused post (actually this whole thread) is my tongue-tied way to express my deep & sincere appreciation for the incredible generosity that is shown by so many people on this forum.

... and words really do fail me when I try to do so.

oh -- and -- both of the amplifiers mentioned in the original post really do sound mighty fine with them Canare cables.

but now I'm repeating myself :)
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited January 2017
    Options
    At the moment, as best I can figure it, the ACA sort of belongs to the Forum -- although, as of now, one kind benefactor is "all in" for its purchase price (and it ain't me)!

I am going to post a separate thread -- probably two, actually -- on that subject anon. Still fomenting.

I look at that little Reduction, sittin' there like an eager puppy, very often and get a good ol' tinge of guilt goin' about that, too.

Again, there's a thread to be born around that topic, too.
    Since I know our buddy Halo's entered the phono preamp fray, now (or soon) is probably a good time.

I'm slightly confused. lol. What is the Reduction? This? http://bottlehead.com/product/reduction-phono-preamplifier-kit/

I remember hearing @SCompRacer posting something about the bottlehead gear, I think with a custom made wood base that looked really nice. I found the photo:

bh_eros_13a.jpg

Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Yes, the Reduction is the second generation of Bottlehead's Seduction two-stage 6DJ8 passive RIAA (MM) phono preamp. I built a very early Seduction kit long ago; mrbiron built a Reduction some while back, then entered what biologists refer to as "log phase" with his family :)

This is a Seduction:

32444831221_f9f335ba8f_b.jpgDSCN5316 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    31723508934_d230d17f39_b.jpgP1020763 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

This is mrbiron's Reduction (still being held hostage at an undisclosed location as of this writing):

25277999734_db5e0833e2_b.jpgDSC_2913 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

mrbiron lent his Reduction to me to compare to some of the other "phonostages" here in the frozen white North -- having no idea that it would disappear for year upon year as he waited, patiently, for a formal report on how it compares to other stuff.

I am actually planning to fire it up again today & spend some quality vinyl time (Mrs. H has a birding thing today on the North Shore down in MA). Further details as events warrant.

Back on-topic (is there a topic?):
    That Eros is freaking beautiful -- that's Doc Bottlehead's higher-end phono preamp, if memory serves.

yeppers. http://bottlehead.com/?product=eros-phono-preamplifier-kit