Magnifi Mini - No sound with ChromeCast but works with Bluetooth music

Options
I got the GF a Magnifi Mini for Christmas. She uses ChromeCast for TV through her iPad. Bluetooth works for music, but can't get anything to come out from TV. She doesn't have a TV antenna or cable, just Chromecast. Her TV is an older Sharp and doesn't have hdmi ARC, just hdmi so I used the optical cable. I've tried every selection on the TV I can think of to get the audio to go to the Magnifi Mini - I've turned down the TV speakers, I've turned off the TV speakers, I've selected digital on the audio output. I even pulled out a small TV that has hdmi ARC and used the hdmi cable. No audio comes out of the TV. My GF called Polk CS and talked to them and no luck even after trying the aux cable. Before I call Polk CS myself, I thought I'd ask you guys if anybody has any idea why no audio is going to soundbar but get sound via Bluetooth? Very frustrating since it was a Christmas gift. She really likes the sound coming via Bluetooth but need the TV audio obviously. I've never had a soundbar so its virgin territory to me. Lol. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I should take it to my place where I have DirectTV and see if it works there? I'm thinking it has something to do with the fact that she uses Chromecast but I don't know what it could be. On the other hand, she gets no static or anything when you select Antenna. Thanks.

Comments

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You know it's possible the optical out isn't functioning. I purchased a sharp 60" LCD about four years ago and returned after only a couple of days. Apparently it was a "made for holidays" set that was missing many features. The optical out didn't work, and the remote and user interface was about as bad as they could get.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    I tried the hdmi on the other tv, and also the usb aux cable on the Sharp tv, no sound on any of the different audio connections.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Can you see the red light lit behind the little door covering the optical jack on the TV? Also, have you selected the optical input on the remote? Kind of obvious, but thought I'd ask.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    I have hooked up 2 of these one via HDMI ARC and the other via optical on an older Samsung. No problem with either. It is really so simple I am stumped as to what the problem can be.

call polk
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Yes it should be very simple according to instructions. Yes, when trying the optical cable I selected the optical input on remote. Also did that when trying hdmi. It's a weird problem. I guess I'll have to call Polk again. May bring to my place first and try with DirectTv. I still think it has something to do with the fact that she is getting her TV via Chromecast. As I said, Bluetooth works well.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Yes, weird. I set one up this weekend (coincidentally with a Sharp TV) and I'm pretty sure we just plugged it in, changed the audio output of the TV to external, and it just worked.

Chromecast is just another HDMI input device that sends audio just like a Blu-ray player would. If it produces audio through the TV speakers, then it should be able to be output via optical. Hopefully a Polk rep can determine the problem. Let us know how it works out.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Thanks, I'll let you know the results. The Chromecast produces sound from the TV just fine but just can't get it to output to the Magnifi Mini from TV. Polk CS once again I guess.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Does she have a dvdp hooked up? Use that as your source and see if you get sound.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dromunds
    Options
    Thanks H9, I'll try to hook up a DVD player.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Is the TV outputting Dolby digital or pcm?
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • dromunds
    Options
    It is set for PCM currently I believe, but IIRC I tried all options for output.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Update: Talked to Polk CS again, and they think the problem may be some internal source switching fault, and I was told to send it back and I'd have a new one in two days. Good CS!
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Nice
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.