Omni A1 - Problem playing Spotify

Options
Hi, Hoping someone can suggest something here.

I have an Omni A1 connected to a pair of RC60 in-ceiling speakers. The set-up works when I play internet radio but for some reason, when I play Spotify, it works for a short period and then seems to go into some sort of a loop. It sounds almost like a record skipping - I guess it is a buffering problem or something.

I contacted Polk CS and they suggested changing the connection from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz on my wireless network. I tried that but the result was only marginally better (It lasted about 3 minutes before the looping started on the 5Ghz setting)

FWIW my Modem is a Bell Home Hub 2000 as offered by Bell Canada (quick Google search leads me to believe it is a Sagemcom F@st 5250 with a Bell Canada sticker on it)

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

I appreciate any insights.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello Steve,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. Let me refer this to Polk and see if I can help.
    Regards, Ken
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,462
    Options
    Hey Steve,
    welcome to CP.

Couple of questions:
    1. Do you know what your internet speed is?
    2. Is there a setting in the Spotify section of the control app for the stream quality?
    3. Where is your Omni in relation to your modem/wifi router? Is it out in the open, or boxed in?
    4. Where is your modem/wifi router, and how is it positioned? (eg, up high, down low, behind a bunch of stuff, in a computer desk, etc. We looking for optimal placement for least obstructed wifi transmission)

Sometimes the combo modem/router units don't do very well serving as both modem and router. It's typically best to have these set up as separate devices for best performance, but this issue could be something as simple as an equipment placement issue, one or both of either the router or Omni.
    I disabled signatures.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello Steve,
    I received a reply from Polk and they feel the best approach is to exchange your unit for a new one. You can send an email to: Kennon.Maddox@soundunited.com or Kim.Jasper@soundunited.com and they'll make the arrangements. Or, if you prefer you can telephone 1-800-377-7655 and ask for either one of those gentlemen, mention that you have been working with me on CP.
    Cheers, Ken
  • SDDow
    SDDow Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi folks,

I appreciate the feedback.

MSG - Per your questions -
    1.Do you know what your internet speed is?
    Just ran a DSL Speed Test - came in at 31.41Mbps

2.Is there a setting in the Spotify section of the control app for the stream quality?
    There are. I didn't think of that. I will play with those and see if it makes a difference. Right now it is set pretty high by default so I will lower things down and cross my fingers.

3.Where is your Omni in relation to your modem/wifi router? Is it out in the open, or boxed in?
    Only about 4 feet away from each other. Pretty clear line of sight (the Omni utility shows 5 bars signal strength)

4.Where is your modem/wifi router, and how is it positioned? (eg, up high, down low, behind a bunch of stuff, in a computer desk, etc. We looking for optimal placement for least obstructed wifi transmission)
    Per #3 strong signal to the A1.

Ken -
    Actually (fortunately) I have another Omni A1 new in box in my possession (I have a pair of Polk Atrium Outdoor speakers to install but haven't done that yet - It's cold up here in Canada - was going to wait until it warms up a bit)

I will try swapping out the unit to see if I get the same behaviour.

Will advise.

Again - thanks for your assistance.

Steve
  • msg
    Options
    Wow Steve, yeah, I was hoping there'd be something sticking out here pointing to the problem source, but everything seems on the up and up.

If you get the same issue with the second A1, try Streaming Spotify over your home WiFi with a mobile device, set to max stream quality, and see if you still get hiccups. If it does, then maybe your networking gear deserves a look. If it's clean, then we can look back to the Omnis.

Semi-related trivial note - I just noticed last week that my WiFi gets jittery when I use the microwave, evidenced in music buffering.
    I disabled signatures.
  • SDDow
    Options
    Just following up on this in case anyone comes across this issue in the future.

It was definitely a problem with the Omni A1 unit itself. Per Ken's advice, I swapped out the Omni A1 unit for another one and Spotify works fine.

As a test I also tried the defective A1 with a pair of Atrium 6 speakers and I got the same result - that is, it is still does not work with Spotify.

So, thanks all for your help on this. Now I just need to get the defective unit replaced...

Cheers,
    Steve

• msg
    Options
    Hey Steve, glad you got it figured out. This actually came to mind the other day and was wondering whether you got it sorted.
    I disabled signatures.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Steve,
    I'm glad you were able to figure it out. Since you are a Canadian resident it might be best to contact Polk's Canadian manager, Walter Moser. You can email him at: Walter.Moser@soundunited.com or via telephone at: 1-877-660-6601. He's a good guy and I know he'll help.
    Cheers, Ken
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • SDDow
    Options
    Thanks Ken. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

Steve
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I needed to correct the telephone number I listed, sorry for the confusion.