Yamaha A-S2100 thoughts

Options
So I have been thinking of replacing my Emotiva XPA-1'S and USP-1 with an integrated to save some space in the family room and gain a cleaner less robust look.

ACL has the Yamaha A-S2100 for a reasonable price, and I really like the styling, but what are your thoughts? Have any of you heard one or have another suggestion?

Another thought is to use my ATI 2 channel app, and upgrade my pre-amp.
Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant

Comments

• sgtmick63
    Options
    I have used Yamaha products such as receivers, int amps, cassette decks, cd players since the early 1970's. They always sounded great. They were very well built and reliable. I never had a unit fail.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Yamaha sound as well.

I was seriously considering this move or the a-s3000 at one point.
    From what I gathered, the 2100 sounds better than the 2000 and the 3000
    sounds better than the 2100 (as one would expect)
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have to have those meters, if I go with Yamaha :)

The 3000 is well out of my budget which is around $3k for this move.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    By all accounts, a sweet piece of kit. Just do it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    Options
    Not sure how it sounds, but it looks really sweet.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited December 2016
    Options
    What's "ACL"?

I mean -- I need some more Yamaha stuff at my house.

In all seriousness, that model and the even statement-ier A-S3000 seem to impress folks who've heard/owned them.

Yamaha_AS-3000.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Just looking at the A-S2100 on the US Yamaha site. Read that it has a "Superior Quality Electronic Volume Control for Optimum Sound". Whew, that's a relief! I thought it had one of them ol' fashioned Wood Fired Volume Controls.

;)

(I'm sorry -- I won't do it again!)

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/a-s2100_g/
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I'm a little concerned that it's only 90wpc.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Actually it is interesting to compare the specifications of the AS-2100 with the CA-1010 of 1978. CA-1010 was the second-to-top integrated amplifier in 1978, which I think (???) is at par with the A-S2100 today.

let's see if these are legible. If not, the two manuals are easy to find -- if one's suitably interested.

A-S2100:

30617737323_13683c9be6_b.jpgA-S2100 specs by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

CA-1010:

31280385112_33a98f4179_b.jpgCA1010 specs by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Now -- I am not a big believer in specifications as being particularly useful (although, young and naive as I was in '78 I sure thought differently then) -- but still interesting to compare, methinks.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    edited December 2016
    Options
    One of these days I will repair and refresh my CA-1010. I've had several people interested in buying it but I refuse to.

Jeremy, go for it. I wouldn't be worried about the 90 watts, even the TOTL 3000 is only around 100 watts isn't it? I'm sure it's a very "stout" 90 watts.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    edited December 2016
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    It's not all about watts.

How many watts is your little Dayens that you ran the big Ushers on? The answer should alleviate Jeremy's worries.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2016
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    It's not all about watts.

EDIT: nope, sure ain't. nor about THD+N (well, maybe at very low output power) nor damping factor nor s/n, etc., etc.

It may be recalled that we roll with three-point-five wpc at my house. Fine direct heated single-ended triode watts; best there are :)

No, but there are other interesting things in those two ol' manuals, e.g., the phono preamp overload points. both manuals also include some performance curves which are also interesting.

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    One of these days I will repair and refresh my CA-1010. I've had several people interested in buying it but I refuse to.

Jeremy, go for it. I wouldn't be worried about the 90 watts, even the TOTL 3000 is only around 100 watts isn't it? I'm sure it's a very "stout" 90 watts.

I'm in the same danged boat with my CA-2010. I hesitate mostly 'cause, after spending money on it, I fear I'll be disappointed -- although I don't really expect to be disappointed.
  • F1nut
    Options

It's going to depend on a number of factors. How efficient are the speakers? How big is your room? What types of music and how loud are you likely to listen?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jeremymarcinko
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

It's going to depend on a number of factors. How efficient are the speakers? How big is your room? What types of music and how loud are you likely to listen?

Right. I don't listen at crazy loud levels but the family room is relatively large. I don't remember exactly, but roughly 18'x24'. It would be powering lsim 705's, which are moderately efficient. I like to jam on occasion and don't want to worry about clipping.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ok, you can roughly calculate the max SPL by using 1 watt/1meter with 90dB efficient speakers. It takes double the power for every 3dB increase, which means you'd get in the 109/110 range.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    edited December 2016
    Options
    ... and...

3 dB more for two channel vs. 1 channel

3 dB less per doubling of distance (i.e., 1 meter to 2 meter, -3 dB; 1 meter to 4 meter, -6 dB, etc.)

and of course -- continuous watts would translate (until the amplifier and/or loudspeakers self-immolated) to continuous dB SPL. 110 dB continuous sound noise is not so good for one's ears. Actually that's an understatement.

NIOSH puts the safe exposure limit at around a couple of minutes, give or take; OSHA somewhat more (30 min).

NIOSH-OSHA-Standards.gif
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited December 2016
    Options
    What?
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ... and...

3 dB more for two channel vs. 1 channel

3 dB less per doubling of distance (i.e., 1 meter to 2 meter, -3 dB; 1 meter to 4 meter, -6 dB, etc.)

and of course -- continuous watts would translate (until the amplifier and/or loudspeakers self-immolated) to continuous dB SPL. 110 dB continuous sound noise is not so good for one's ears. Actually that's an understatement.

NIOSH puts the safe exposure limit at around a couple of minutes, give or take; OSHA somewhat more (30 min).

NIOSH-OSHA-Standards.gif

Neither the receiver nor my amps make this list. Something to think about though...
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Rick88 wrote: »
    What color are you getting if you do get one?

I'm partial to the silver myself. ;)

p4vhey8ke1nb.jpg

Is there really any debate? ;)

These suckas look marvelous in silver.

11535696185_165df1328f_b.jpgDSC_6689_z by Mark Hardy, on Flickr