Need Help-Joule Electra LA 100mkIII

Options
2»

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The actual perceived gain or lack of gain is negligible between the 12AX7 and 5751 to my ears. But as always try it for yourself and see what works best.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    vcwatkins - You are correct. Google 5751 vs 12AX7 gain. Lots of interesting info. 12AX7 = 100% gain. 5751 = 70% gain. Etc, Etc.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    @WagnerRC Bob, I still believe it probably is a slam dunk. The Aleph is lower power, but, I have no problem driving either the Tylers or Ushers with it. I do notice improved gain when using the balanced inputs through the P5. Less umph when using RCA. The Cary tube plays nicely with it, but, I went with Psvane tubes for the increased gain they seem to offer. I have confidence that retubing will bring it to where it needs to be.

I mentioned to Brock earlier that I'd forgotten I have a couple of 12ax7's somewhere. I'll run the Raytheon in and then switch it out for a 12ax7 and see if there is any noticeable difference.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Crap, just noticed you were looking for a copy of the manual. Do you still need?
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • kharp1
    Options
    @BlueMDPicker Mike sent a good copy, but, thanks for the offer Craig. I imagined this pre to be a great match with the Aleph and am.convinced it will be. UPS needs to hurry up, I'm like a kid on Christmas morning and I want to play with my new toy.
  • kharp1
    Options
    Received all of the tubes but the 6EM7's Friday morning and got them installed. I noticed a sonic improvement, but, things were still off in the overall presentation, and, it would stll distort when turned up around halfway. I adjusted the gain and it was noticable, but, didn't help...yet.

Received the 6EM7's Saturday morning and installed them and immediately noticed a huge difference. WIth out being burned in it sounds incredible. Trying not to do too much listening as I want to come back after a while and see how the sound has developed, however, I can't help myself! This thing sounds so sweet and extended, especially in the bottom end. It's full, tight and rich. Was listening to some Cowboy Junkies earlier and Margoo Timmins' voice was so rich and sweet. Looking like this could definately be a keeper.

Want to say thanks to everyone that helped with their insight. Jesse and Brock were especially helpful.

Need to get to Arlington and get my ears on the MD2's and those diamond tweeters.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    There ya go.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Nice! ! Im glad its working out for you!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Cool. Enjoy!
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Glad to hear Kerry, that tube shipped on Friday.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Received all of the tubes but the 6EM7's Friday morning and got them installed. I noticed a sonic improvement, but, things were still off in the overall presentation, and, it would stll distort when turned up around halfway. I adjusted the gain and it was noticable, but, didn't help...yet.

Received the 6EM7's Saturday morning and installed them and immediately noticed a huge difference. WIth out being burned in it sounds incredible. Trying not to do too much listening as I want to come back after a while and see how the sound has developed, however, I can't help myself! This thing sounds so sweet and extended, especially in the bottom end. It's full, tight and rich. Was listening to some Cowboy Junkies earlier and Margoo Timmins' voice was so rich and sweet. Looking like this could definately be a keeper.

Want to say thanks to everyone that helped with their insight. Jesse and Brock were especially helpful.

Need to get to Arlington and get my ears on the MD2's and those diamond tweeters.

Now that's what I like to hear, congrats man, glad you got her worked out. Frickin' sound is amazing on these pre's, least to these old ears.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    Options
    Wanted to also say thanks to Bob @WagnerRC for a seamless transaction. The packing was first class all.the way.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    Thank you. I would like every transaction a positive experience, that is my goal. I don't sell products to profit.