newbie ? sda crs

Options
Whats up everyone NK1 from Chi town, I just picked up a pair of sda crs for $40 bucks on the right speaker there is no sound from the tweeters I looked but can't locate the fuse. Where are the fuses?
Thanks GO CUBS!

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited October 2016
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    There's been very little to no sound from the Cubs bats also.
    What do you want to fix first? Your CRS tweets or the Cubs bats?

Burn.

@la2vegas I don't believe that the CRS have fuses, don't they have a polyswitch in the crossover? @NK1 I would open it up and see it is connected, if it is switch with the working tweeter and move on from there. Great pair of speakers, welcome to the forum!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 748
    Options
    It could also be a burned resistor, burned out poly switch (it is supposed to self reset), or blown tweeter. The good news is any of them can be fixed fairly easy and small cost. There are likely plenty of replacement tweeters, and likely new and better ones from directly from polk. Pictures of the speakers, tweeter, interconnect cable, and interconnect cable connections will help. There are a couple of versions of the CRS.
  • befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Wouldn't the easiest way to tell if its a dead tweeter or a x over issue be to remove the tweeter and either check it with a multi meter or try the working tweeter in the bad speaker.Although that may be a tad harder if the wire is soldered on.But I'm sure someone on here could tell you if thats the case.Anyway if it is a blown tweeter the new replacements are said to be significant improvement!
    btw invu- nice deal! Congrats.
    Post edited by befuddle on
  • codycatalist
    Options
    befuddle wrote: »
    Wouldn't the easiest way to tell if its a dead tweeter or a x over issue be to remove the tweeter and either check it with a multi meter or try the working tweeter in the bad speaker.Although that may be a tad harder if the wire is soldered on.But I'm sure someone on here could tell you if thats the case.Anyway if it is a blown tweeter the new replacements are said to be significant improvement!
    btw invu- nice deal! Congrats.

Indeed that is the easiest way granted the wires aren't soldered like you mentioned. That's what I advised to swap the tweeters above.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    Options
    Sorry for the repetition Cody.Although in review I noticed he has the dual tweeter model and I'm not sure if one goes if the other will still function.[So that may entail swapping them both] It may well be [as previously stated] that the poly switch has weakened.I've read on here that they can go bad over time or fail from repeated trips.Also on that subject [although my recall may be incorrect] that it improves the snd to bypass them [although due diligence to distortion is obviously then needed as there is no tweeter protection] alternately it may have been said to use a resistor?
    Also on those models I think I may have read that disabling the SDA effected tweeter also improves the snd
    Perhaps the resident x over expert Westmassguy or other guru's can impart their wisdom and correct me in a attempt to help the op out
  • codycatalist
    Options
    befuddle wrote: »
    Sorry for the repetition Cody.Although in review I noticed he has the dual tweeter model and I'm not sure if one goes if the other will still function.[So that may entail swapping them both] It may well be [as previously stated] that the poly switch has weakened.I've read on here that they can go bad over time or fail from repeated trips.Also on that subject [although my recall may be incorrect] that it improves the snd to bypass them [although due diligence to distortion is obviously then needed as there is no tweeter protection] alternately it may have been said to use a resistor?
    Also on those models I think I may have read that disabling the SDA effected tweeter also improves the snd
    Perhaps the resident x over expert Westmassguy or other guru's can impart their wisdom and correct me in a attempt to help the op out

No worries on repetition it's how most of us learn. As far as crossover I wouldn't believe both to go out if a cross over component went out as the Dimensional Tweeter (outer most tweet) is on a different crossover section. I could be wrong as I don't mess with XOs I leave that to the pros.

Yes I have been told that removing the polyswitch is advised for sound quality but only if you have enough CLEAN power. I kept mine as I am driving my SDA 2Bs with a 100w/ch Yammy which I feel isn't adequate enough to remove protection (granted if I blow my SL2000s I guess its an excuse to upgrade to the silk domes).

Yes with the CRS's it is said to disconnect the Dim tweet as it will make for a better sound. Matthew Polk realized that in order to get an SDA affect only the low frequencies would need to be replicated on the opposing channel.