heh -- I learned something new (to me) today -- about -- "Frampton Comes Alive"

Options
mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
edited September 2016 in Music & Movies
So, I am of an age and a socioeconomic background such that, for better or for worse, the epocal :wink: two-disc album "Frampton Comes Alive" was part of -- the soundtrack of our lives.

It sold a gazillion copies, and, sort of like "Whipped Cream and Other Delights" and "Color Me Barbara", I think that all but a half-dozen or so have been jettisoned by their original owners as the seventies faded into the rear view mirror ;)

At any rate, is there any more to be said about this rekkid at this late date (it came out in 1976)? Well, yeah -- at least something I didn't know about it. Several songs on the album (including "Show Me the Way, which was an AOR staple for a long time, back in the olden days) were recorded at Plattsburgh State University (SUNY Plattsburgh) in (way the heck) upstate NY.

Interesting piece on the topic today on the centerpiece local program, "Vermont Edition" on VT public radio:

http://digital.vpr.net/post/40-years-after-frampton-comes-alive-recalling-concert-recorded-plattsburgh#stream/0

peter-frampton-concert-ad-suny-plattsburgh-cardinal-points-1975.jpg

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    The wife listens to it at least once a week, it's something we both see eye to eye on as far as overplayed music of our younger years. It's hard to believe after playing with Steve Marriott and Humble Pie, he made it big state side $4.00 to the public wow thanks for sharing. I still prefer his contributions in Humble Pie.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Indeed.
    We were reminiscing about Humble Pie just recently -- some great stuff. Great stuff.

https://youtu.be/sdXjm8pZMws
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I never owned or listened to the entire Frampton album. Guess I will order the CD from Amazon.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I never owned a copy myself -- I did find one at the dump some years back; it's here somewhere.

True confession: I do really enjoy the set's climax "Do You Feel Like I Do?", talkbox guitar effects and all.

Polk forum aside: It's an album that is quite enjoyable to listen to on a pair of vintage Polk Audio Monitor Series loudspeakers of the same era (as the album)!

:)
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    The holy bejeebers was played out of Frampton on a Garrard TT and JBL100 speakers.
    I always liked the "stutter step" (for lack of a better term) in the tag line of "Do You Feel Like I Do".
    Sal Palooza
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    Try the acoustic version of Frampton. It is very good.
  • tat
    tat Posts: 159
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I knew the drummer on that album. He co-wrote "Do You Feel Like We Do?" actually. Consumate rock drummer from Chicago whose love was N.O. Calypso I recall, you can also see him with Carly Simon using his trademark green Ludwigs. He got so fed up with the dishonest music industry people (much in common with sketchy Boxing promoters back then) he packed it in for a union job with FDNY until his death about 10 years ago. Although he had been back in touch with Frampton before his death I think, so had he lived longer he might have been back onstage; really great musician who really played wonderfully with just about anybody. Miss You man, has it been that long? You still owe me razors John! Ca-ching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQZmCJUSC6g

No green Ludwigs above unfortunately, just right on point though man he was great. Songs about Mick Jagger I heard lol. I used to crank that Frampton album on my CRS+ back in the early 90's. Blew a tweeter on the above tune if I remember correctly. I know alot of Frampton '77 was recorded at Winterland, SF, Ca. Plattsburgh is news to me wouldnt be suprised. Steve Marriott is just fabulous, especially early on.

cpd5l476nact.jpg
    Post edited by tat on
    When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws are free...
  • tat
    Options
    Given the last few days in NYC, I should probably mention John Siomos was probably the only successful musician who was also a first responder on 9/11. Definitely one of the good guys.
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    Very interesting Tat. That's one of the great things about the Polk forum; you're only a few degrees of separation from somebody who knows somebody.
    Sal Palooza
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    I also played the be beejeezus out if that album on a Gerrard Zero 100C. With a Shure V15 Type 3 IIRC. Everybody I know had that album. And 30 Days In The Hole was another classic.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    Never was a huge fan of live recordings from the 70's but to me to were 2 standouts. Frampton Comes Alive and Deep Purple Made in Japan. Many of the live tracks from these albums became the de Facto standard versions. Saw both of them and they were some great shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdzR4LzRwzQ
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The quintessential live rock recording (despite the grumblings of some folks about after-the-fact vocal overdubs), for my money - and FWIW - was Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus".

Sort of Lowell George's last gasp of greatness before he slid totally and permanently into the abyss.

Plus, it sounds... terrific.

MoFi-Little-Feat-e.jpg

The first real track on the album, "Fat Man in the Bathtub", may be the only song in rock & roll ever recorded with just enough cowbell. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's got that great Tower of Power horn section!
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    I love Humble Pie " Rockin The Fillmore" (with Frampton) and my favorite song "I Walk On Gilded Splinters"
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • TCK
    TCK Posts: 231
    edited September 2016
    Options
    dont forget this one...

rqzf0y74d4zx.jpg

Allman Bros - Live at Fillmore East -1971
    - SDA 2B (1989, Oak Tops, 194s, Spikes)
    - Monitor 7B (1982 Peerless, Sonicaps, Mills, Dynamated, JB Welded, Binding Posts)
    - SVS SB12-NSD (2 in Flat Black)
    - SVS SB 3000 (Gloss Black)
    - Pioneer SC-1222K AVR
    - Marantz MM 7055 (5 Ch Amp)
    - Pioneer PD-D6 SACD Player
    - Marantz NR1403 AVR
    - Sony UBP-X800M2 (4k Blu-ray)
    - Sony UBP-X1100ES (4K Blu-ray)
    - Adcom GFA 555
    - Monitor 5 (194s, Side Surrounds)
    - Monitor 5Jr+ (194s)
    - LG OLED65CXPUA (4K OLED TV)
    - LG 55UN7300PUF (4K HD TV)
    - RT35i (Cherry)
    - CS400 (Center)
    - CS350 (Center)
    - F/Xi A4 (Rear Surrounds)
    - RT25 (Rear Surrounds)
    - Audioquest Cables

" But boy do I remember the strain of her refrain " LG
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Waiting for Columbus is a fantastic live album. Everything just sounds so right on it.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Don't forget these:

Full House - J. Geils Band
    Babylon By Bus - Marley & The Wailers
    On Your Feet or On Your Knees - BOC
    Live Dates - Wishbone Ash
    Absolutely Live - Doors
    Live at Leeds - Who
    Get Yer Ya Ya's Out - Stones
    Steppenwolf Live
    All The World's A Stage -Rush
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am a big 'OO fan, but never was all that crazy about Live at Leeds.
    I was much more favorably impressed when the expanded version was (finally) released, some years back.

The version of A Quick One on Live at Leeds is stuff for the ages.

I picked up a cheap copy of Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out (the SACD version of a few years back) for a coupla bucks at a used book sale in the spring... I've never listened to it (not really a big fan of the Stone Rollers); is it worth a spin?
  • tat
    edited September 2016
    Options
    TCK wrote: »
    dont forget this one...

rqzf0y74d4zx.jpg

Allman Bros - Live at Fillmore East -1971

This is the one that brought me into the game too, care of some great original editor Rolling Stone Book of Lists. It had some pretty funny stuff in there regarding crazy music stories. Wish I could find it.

Ya's Ya's is great performance, probably not the best source/recording but great Midnight Rambler and others.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    The live Midnight Rambler recording, I do know. It used to get lots of airplay.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited September 2016
    Options
    ^^^^ all the above have there moments but these are the three best live LPs
    Love 'Forever Changes Concert'
    UFO 'Strangers in the Night
    and
    Thin Lizzy 'Live and Dangerous'
  • BlueFox
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I am a big 'OO fan, but never was all that crazy about Live at Leeds.
    I was much more favorably impressed when the expanded version was (finally) released, some years back.

The version of A Quick One on Live at Leeds is stuff for the ages.

I picked up a cheap copy of Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out (the SACD version of a few years back) for a coupla bucks at a used book sale in the spring... I've never listened to it (not really a big fan of the Stone Rollers); is it worth a spin?

Live At Leeds has too much electrical crackle noise on it. Get Yer Ya-Yas Out is my favorite live album. This was recorded at Altamont, and that was a wild atmosphere with the **** Angles acting as guards, and beating some guy to death.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Thin Lizzy Live And Dangerous is indeed a great live album.
  • dromunds
    Options
    And let us not forget The Mothers Live At The Fillmore East
  • BlueFox
    Options
    H e l l s Angels is censored. LOL. What a foolish forum platform.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tat
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Otis Redding Live in Europe may have given birth to the format.

I love the Magic Bus on Live at Leeds, there is some kind of phasing echo that reverberates beautifully before the band kicks in again. It never sounds as pronounced as I remember it when I listen to it now, but I spun that track over and over in HS for awhile trying to figure out what they were doing. Still haven't lol.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Peter Frampton? Really? Well, I guess that seals it, we're different generations, lol
    No one I know my age or over owns, nor would they even entertain listening to that voluntarily. But it was a favorite of Go-go dancer aficionados at the turn of the decade and into the '80s.
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ^^^^ you should hear the kids nowadays talking about theses old LPs around the dollar section of the local music shops...
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I had a friend who tried to sell a copy to a used record store in the late 1970s. The proprietor just kind of laughed at him. Apparently everyone who bought that album in 1976 was trying to offload it by 79 or so :)
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    6w6ng146tpd8.jpg
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0