lucky find with some mint monitor 7b's... now what?

Options
So long story short, the other day i was cleaning out my grandmother's attic and way in the corner I found two polk monitor 7b's in almost perfect condition (with minor residue on the surface I've been cleaning off with windex and fine scotchbrite), a technics sl-b2 turntable, and an adc soundshaper mark 3.

Now that I have these things, how should I go about building a system? I don't think I wanted to include the equalizer since it's a bit over my head as I have no audiophile experience whatsoever but I definitely wanted to be able to use the turntable for some vinyls I have.

I also don't know if I should opt for an amp and a preamp or just get a receiver but I'm definitely trying to be as price efficient as possible.

Any advice/ direction to an FAQ would be much appreciated!

Best Answer

Answers

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    What's your budget? You'll probably want to replace the cartridge on the turntable too.

P.S. Vinyls isn't a word.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Gittles
    Gittles Posts: 4
    Options
    my budget is around the $200 range but I can be flexible if its worth the extra cost.
  • Nightfall
    edited June 2016
    Options
    What city Craigslist do you search? With that budget a vintage receiver with a built in phono preamp is probably going to be your best bet. It would be very difficult to find a phono pre and integrated for that much money new.

Have you plugged in the turntable and made sure it's working properly?

• Nightfall
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Also, gently press in on the midwoofers (the middle of the three, 6.5") on the speakers in an evenly fashion, do they move freely or are they frozen in place or making scratching noises?

• Gittles
    Options
    I use central nj craigslist. The midwoofers moved freely when I gently pushed evenly but I noticed that if i push unevenly they make a scratching sound (which i assume is because I unevenly pushed them).
  • Nightfall
    Options

• Gittles
    Options
    I might go with that kenwood, It's fairly close and the price is decent. Thank you so much for the help!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    For $150.00 you're not going to do any better, so go get it before someone else does.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    I'd concur (FWIW).
    The Kenwood is a nice piece.

(Actually, the two Pioneer receivers above are pretty nice as well)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Yes, it's the same series/vintage with 20 more wpc.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk