FLAC through Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH?

Options
Is there a way that I can play FLAC files through my Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH?

Other than getting my systems connected working years ago, I'm pretty green when it comes to audio (..but I'm learning slowly!)

I am upgrading my some of my speakers to LSiM703's and a SVS SB-2000. I would like to play the few FLAC files that I dowloaded from HDTracks through that system.

Thanks.

zD
HT : Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH | Sony BDP-S350 | Parasound HCA 1500A | LSiM 703's | SVS SB-2000 | Polk Audio RM101 | Polk Audio RM7 | Sharp Aquos 52" LED | Speaker Cables - MIT AVt3 | ICs - MIT AVt3 | Harmony One

Headphones : Sennheiser HD-600 | Little Dot MK III tube amp | HRT - Music Streamer II DAC

Comments

• honestaquarian
    Options
    @ZenDawgg
    Other than finding a way to convert them to another format or buying an outboard box.The only way to play them would be to possibly purchase them from HDTracks again in another format that the Pioneer will play. That is one of the the things about HDTracks that I love over other sites like superhirez.com (another site that I dearly love for their DSD downloads*) They allow you to choose which format you want to download an album in. WAV may be the best format for the Pioneer.
    I have downloaded music in FLAC, ALAC, WAV and AIFF formats from HDTracks. My Oppo Digital in the living room will play all of those formats. However my Integra and Playstaion 3 in the bedroom will ONLY play the WAV files. In fact the playstation will only play WAV files in standard 16 bit 44.1 khz form and not 24/96. So I know how you feel.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I just read through your owners manual, it would appear your Pioneer doesn't have native FLAC support. This leaves you with a few options that may or may not require spending more money.

1) Do you have a laptop or a PC within close proximity to the Pioneer that has HDMI out? If so connect said computer to your Pioneer with an HDMI cable, switch the Pioneer to the correct input, and play the FLAC files from your computer with one of many playback programs.

2) If your PC doesn't have HDMI out you could use it's on board soundcard with a 1/8" to RCA cable. This isn't the best option IMO, internal PC soundcards aren't great, especially on a laptop.

3) If your PC doesn't have HDMI you can buy a DAC, connect your PC to the DAC with a USB cable, connect the DAC to your AVR with analog cables, and play the files from your PC.

4) Buy a device that supports playback of FLAC via USB or over your network and outputs to analog, connect to your AVR. Examples:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marna6005/marantz-na6005-network-audio-player-and-usb-dac/1.html

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Asynchronous-Transformers-Construction-High-Quality/dp/B00RB9FZPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451708162&sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+n50
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • ZenDawgg
    Options
    honestaquarian - I download the FLACs so that I can play them on my Headset setup listed below, but thanks for info and options.

Nightfall wrote: »
    1) Do you have a laptop or a PC within close proximity to the Pioneer that has HDMI out? If so connect said computer to your Pioneer with an HDMI cable, switch the Pioneer to the correct input, and play the FLAC files from your computer with one of many playback programs.

I did look through the manual briefly and saw that it doesn’t have FLAC support.

I do have a Headphone set up that I play where I play my FLAC files with Foobar2000 - Headphones : Sennheiser HD-600 | Little Dot MK III tube amp | HRT - Music Streamer II DAC – so I have a DAC there. I was thinking about running laptop to the DAC and then to the receiver.

But… I just remember that I have a small home theater PC sitting right above my receiver that I retrofitted for another task. I know it has HDMI out and the current role of that PC does not use a lot of resources so….. I think you helped me find a solution!

Which brings up another point… in the last 3 days I came to this forum looking for some speaker upgrade help. But I’m finding out that I’m just scratching the surface with everything. Network Audio players, network streaming, Internet Streaming…

I also have a home built NAS that is running FreeNAS. And I don’t have to buy anything this time!

I'll mess around with it this weekend.

Thanks guys!

HT : Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH | Sony BDP-S350 | Parasound HCA 1500A | LSiM 703's | SVS SB-2000 | Polk Audio RM101 | Polk Audio RM7 | Sharp Aquos 52" LED | Speaker Cables - MIT AVt3 | ICs - MIT AVt3 | Harmony One

Headphones : Sennheiser HD-600 | Little Dot MK III tube amp | HRT - Music Streamer II DAC
  • ZenDawgg
    Options
    After a few hours troubleshooting I was able to get this working with HDMI connection from my old HTPC to receiver and playing HDtracks and other rips stored on my NAS.

When I reloaded the HTPC for another purpose I only installed the vid driver. I had to install the latest Intel HD 4000 full driver for audio. That was one issue. The other was a small metal tab above the HDMI port on the HTPC preventing the HDMI cable from seating properly.

I just use TeamViewer to remote into the HTPC and run Foobar2000. I may look at different options in future but for now it works!

Thanks!

• Nightfall
    Options
    Enjoy.

• honestaquarian
    Options
    Wow
    That's a lot of work just to get some FLAC files playing!

Enjoy
  • ZenDawgg
    Options
    Yeah but i look at it this way, I already had the equipment so it was no out of pocket expense.

...and now I can rip my CDs, download some more HDTracks and be able to listen to digital through my new speakers (on the way). That last part was the motivational factor. :)

• Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Options
    It doesn't sound like it was a lot of work. Well-worth the effort to be able to utilize your HTPC. That's why it really doesn't matter if your Pioneer had the capability to play FLAC on it's own. You are better-off with an HTPC and can do a lot more than you could have with a FLAC capable AVR.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's always a good feeling when things come together. Enjoy!!!
    Post edited by gce on
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • ZenDawgg
    ZenDawgg Posts: 89
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Definitely worth the extra effort especially since the ex-HTPC and NAS are sitting right next to my HT equipment. It does feel good that I can check that off the list especially since it wasn't on the original list.

Now to try and stay within budget this year!

Next task -read up on this site and learn.

• ZenDawgg
    Options
    So I joined Rhapsody 3 months for $1.

I have a Little Dot MK III headphone tube amp and HRT - Music Streamer II DAC in my headphone setup.

Would it be possible to connect the headphone amp to the Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH??? Certain inputs or outputs on the receiver. Do certain functions need to be to turned on/off?

I was just curious how it would sound in my streaming setup to the LSiM703's. I figured that I already have it and it is a tube pre/amp? But I don't want to damage anything.

Description and a picture on the input/output shown below.

Thanks!

SEPP (Singled-ended Push Pull) OTL in Class-A
    Frequency response: 12 hz~100 Khz (-1dB)
    THD+N: 0.15% (80 mW @300 ohm)
    Power Output:
    350 mW @ 300/600 ohm
    300 mW @ 120 ohm
    100 mW @ 32 ohm
    Power Consumption: 30W (228V x 0.130A)
    Variable Gain: 3,4,5, or 10x
    Recommended Load Impedance: 32 ohm~600 ohm
    Input Impedance: 50K ohms
    Pre-Amplifier Output Impedance: 600 ohm
    Pre-Amplifier Gain: 3-10x (also controlled via gain switches)
    Pre-Amplifier Voltage: 10V RMS
    Pre-Amplification circuit includes both driver and power tubes
    Driver Tubes: 2x RTC5654
    Power Tubes: 2x Soviet 6H6N (included)

kqvct97c8gvc.jpg

• Nightfall
    Options
    Does that Pioneer have preouts?

• ZenDawgg
    Options
    Yes.

ydvfonfpasyf.png
    pre.PNG 109.8K

• Nightfall
    Options
    You could run the front preouts to the inputs on the Little Dot but I believe you'd have to unhook your front speakers from the binding posts while listening to headphones.

• ZenDawgg
    Options
    I was't planning to use headphones...

What I was hoping for was:

Rhapsody Stream from computer -> DAC -> Little Dot tube pre/amp -> AVR -> LSiM703's

If that make sense. I wanted to hear what this would sound like since the Little Dot is tube.

• Nightfall
    Options
    I see, use it as a tube buffer. Couldn't hurt to give it a try I guess, but that's not really what it's intended to be used for. Just connect the output of the Little Dot to any of the analog inputs on the Pioneer.

• ZenDawgg
    Options
    Thanks - I guess I'll Google to see if anyone has done this before I try.

• Nightfall
    Options
    It will work, my doubt isn't in if it will work or not but rather if it will improve the sound at all.

• Jibby
    Jibby Posts: 1
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ZenDawgg, I use WDTV for playing flacs and it works flawlessly. It has analog and optical outs for audio(I use the analog out to my 2ch.receiver). HDMI out to tv. It also has 2 USB ports which you can hook up external hard drives. I have one drive for audio and 1 for video files.

The WD plays everything i've thrown at it, audio and video, (even plays .iso dvd video)with exception of .DSF hi-res audio files. Plays all flac files. What I love about this setup is on-screen(TV) navigation and choice of your files. I can see all files on screen from across the room and use the included remote to select, play, pause, etc. I can't believe more people aren't using this.

You can also stream via wifi or direct ethernet cable. I have mine hooked up direct from computer in another room(long ethernet cable routed under floor), and use this mostly for transferring the audio and video files from computer to the hard drives connected to the WDTV. Best setup I can imagine.
  • ZenDawgg
    Options
    I'll have to check into it sometime.

• ZenDawgg
    Options
    Confusion...

So I can't figure out if I like streaming/FLAC through HTPC -> AVR via HDMI or...

HTPC -> Music Streamer II -> AVR via USB/Analog

To me the latter sounds a little flat, but I don't know if I have everything set properly.

With HDMI set up I can see the front of the AVR displaying 192Khz Stereo. The AVR manual states "This receiver has an on-board Windows Media™ Audio 9
    Professional3 (WMA9 Pro) decoder" But is the AVR decoding or the PC with HDMI??

With the Music Streamer II the front displays 96KHz Stereo and i made sure I choose the Music Streamer II in MediaMonkey. Of course I think that is the highest this DAC can go. Now I am just using a cheap USB cable but I'm using AQ Diamondbacks for ICs.

I guess I'll need to do some more checking, testing and listening.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    If your using an HDMI connection to the receiver, then the receiver is doing the decoding. Windows media decoders are not the best though, sound wise.

Get a good dac, many good used ones in the 3-400 buck range, I'd also suggest switching out those Diamondbacks, they are also a little flat sounding to my ears anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ZenDawgg
    edited February 2016
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    If your using an HDMI connection to the receiver, then the receiver is doing the decoding. Windows media decoders are not the best though, sound wise.

Get a good dac, many good used ones in the 3-400 buck range, I'd also suggest switching out those Diamondbacks, they are also a little flat sounding to my ears anyway.

TonyB,

There was a noticeable difference when I swapped out the Diamondbacks (AVR to Amp) with the MIT AVt3 ICs that I just won. Something different...sounded like it opened it up more. I can't really describe what it is....just better. This was still using HDMI to the receiver.

Then I decided to see what it would be like running the DAC to the AVR with the AQ's and there was a noticeable difference....flatter. Was the deficiency the USB cable, DAC or AQ's? Probably a combo.

I'm eyeing up another set of the AV3t's.

So now I'm in a dilemma. If I get a good DAC $3-400, used pre $3-400, used AVt3 IC's $100...I'm close to the Price of a P5 and I hear they have a good DAC? I see a used P5 for $800 on either Audiogon or US Mart...but it is silver and my gear is black.

I think I'll live with the HDMI for now, research and save.

But what $3-400 range DAC would you guys recommend if I went that route?

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Depends on what you need it to do. Do you need it to do DSD ? I would go used as you can get a way bigger bang for your buck. Some I would look at are the PS AUDIO Digital link 3 or Newave dacs, Cary Xciter...which I use and am happy as a clam with, Arcam Rdac, Tech dacs, Musical fidelity M1....just to name a few. The list is endless. Cambridge dacmagic is another dac that some like around here as well as W4S dac 1.

Every one listed though can play hi-rez files, but not all can play dsd. Tech may have some dacs DSD capable under 5 bones used but if that's not applicable to you don't lose sleep over it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ZenDawgg
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Can't say that I've even explored DSD so I don't know if I'd ever need it or not.

Currently my digital are CD rips to FLAC, HDTracks FLAC, and Rhapsody streaming.

Digital is nice for the convenience factor.

I need a pre...with DAC or standalone DAC, SACD player.....I need I need .... too dang much at this point! I need to decide on the path to get there.

Can you rip SACDs?

So far I've been completely happy with the advice that I've received here and the resulting sound that I'm getting. I'm sure I'll get there slowly, although every time I think that I've figured something out, the rabbit hole goes deeper.

• Nightfall
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You can rip SACD's but it requires a specific model of the Playstation 3.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    ZenDawgg wrote: »

Can you rip SACDs?
    Really only one way to rip sacd as I know of is this complicated path with an orginal PS3
    https://newtoolbox.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/sacd-ripper-primer-v4-0.pdf

FooBar has a playback decoder plugin
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited February 2016
    Options
    with JRiver Media, I can put a Hybrid SACD in my computer and in Jriver click on options then click on encoder and select DSD then setting and I can choose 2.8 or 5.6

but my my blu ray player in my pc surely can not read SACD's so when I have Jriver rip it as a DSD 2.8 file surely its just up converted to that format from a WAV right?

plus the file size is huge when I do this...so what am I doing right?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    These are your DSD SACD options in JRiver
    Doesn't actually convert to PCM but puts it into a PCM pack...IDK the difference between converting or packing it into PCM pack

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I forgot about checking there for info thanks!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD