Best cables short of MIT for LsiM 707

Options
I am not getting what I like for music. Running Wireworld Solstice right now. I have repositioned my speakers the best that I can and I am not getting closer to what I want. Are cables the cure?

Thanks
Bruce

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I never could get the 705's there and I tried with a multitude of gear. I hate to say it, but perhaps you should start looking hard at the Polks. :|

Me too... Me too...
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I am not getting what I like for music. Running Wireworld Solstice right now. I have repositioned my speakers the best that I can and I am not getting closer to what I want. Are cables the cure?

Thanks
    Bruce

Cables are not a cure all for everything missing in ones system.

Like Skip said, if the Usher sound is more to your tastes, the Polks shouldn't be on your radar, 2 different sounds. Seems to me you haven't quite found that synergy yet.

In order to not keep swapping stuff in and out, buying and selling, go get your ears on some more variety of speakers and gear and see what floats your boat. We can suggest things all day, but we can't hear with your ears.

Once you get a grasp on the types of sound you like from various pieces of gear, we can better suggest what would synergize well with that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited December 2015
    Options
    To answer your wire question I would use Audioquest Rockett 44's on those speakers terminated in Banana banana.
    But as said above the wire isn't going to magically make you love your speakers if you don't right now. Wire will just allow you to hear what they can do and support the equipment you use. They are NOT for tuning purposes as many would think they are.
    Using Colored wire only makes things harder to deal with instead of easier. Those kinds of wire can really add issues instead of solving them. I don't believe in using wire to "tune" your system.
    Now where you have had your last pair of speakers may not work correctly with your current speakers. Placement is where most of the magic lays. Get that right and then you will hear what they can do. I'd do this way before replacing the speaker cables.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Bruce, are you able to put to words what you feel is missing or not working to your liking? empty? tinny? bass heavy? or is it more refined qualities you're missing in the experience?
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    @msg Bass is a little heavy and mids and highs are a bit muted.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    How much have you experimented with room calibration with your AVR and room treatments?
    I could be wrong but calibration is not a factor in "pure direct" mode.

Does anyone think that isolating them better from the raised hardwood floor would help, they are on rubber covered spikes now. Or how about spikes on those little pucks? This floor is like a drum head.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Parasound A31, no have not tried the 1L's with them
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    My guess regarding the bass is the speakers are overloading the room or are too close to walls. On the mids and highs, compared to brighter metal dome tweeter speakers, I think the LSiMs can sound a bit subdued. It's easier to tame a bright speaker than it is to make a more mellow speaker sound brighter with speaker cables alone. It is possible to have a relatively bright source component "tune" the sound so the speakers accentuate the highs more, but it sounds to me like you've found you prefer speakers with a different sound signature than the LSiMs for music. If I was in your situation, I'd use the LSiMs mainly for home theater and focus on setting up a dedicated two channel system with different speakers.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I dunno about "best," but I like these: LAT International SS-900 SIGNATURE BI-WIRE
    with locking bananas. Set you back $388.00 however. (you could go SS-800 as well)
    I think @Motorhead is trying them...
  • pretzelfisch
    Options
    How close are they to the side wall and the wall behind them? From your description it sounds like they are too close to sides and maybe to close or far from the wall behind them.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Open doorways behind them and three feet from the sides
  • afterburnt
    Options
    How much have you experimented with room calibration with your AVR and room treatments?

Does anyone think that isolating them better from the raised hardwood floor would help, they are on rubber covered spikes now. Or how about spikes on those little pucks? This floor is like a drum head.[/quot]

What will the spikes do?
  • pretzelfisch
    Options

Does anyone think that isolating them better from the raised hardwood floor would help, they are on rubber covered spikes now. Or how about spikes on those little pucks? This floor is like a drum head.

The way I read the manual pure direct is still using calibration settings and sub cross over if you have it. You would need to set the Parametric EQ to Through.
    When you used calibration how many mic positions did you use?
  • tonyb
    Options
    It's my understating the OP is limited on his placement options. I would double check the connections and play around with the settings in the receiver first. Try maybe one or 2 other brands of cables and IC's and if nothing still floats your boat than time to look elsewhere for speakers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Ironically what he describes as his issue is exactly what I have found MIT's to help cure. Bloated bass and fleshing out the mids and highs.

Granted he probably does have other issues such as using an AVR for a pre and limited placement issues.

**shrug**

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited December 2015
    Options
    AVR as a pre, never worked for me for 2 channel music.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • heiney9
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    The MIT's will not change how he feels about the speakers. No cable will and probably no gear will. The LSiM house sound and Usher house sound are very, very different. It's kind of like being a B&W fan and buying Sonus Faber speakers (friendly jab at Joey >:) ).

I get that, but based on his post about what's missing from the LSiM's was what I was making the recommendation on.

He didn't qualify it by saying the Ushers give me this and that and the LSiM's don't. He named a few specific things, plus my comment was more tongue in cheek since he doesn't have/want to spend MIT kind of money.

I will say, next to my Pass amp, the single biggest improvement I made in my system was adding MIT cables. Sorry, but that's saying a lot, because until I experienced it, I would have never, ever believed it myself.

YMMV

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Options
    In the end the LSiM's may not do it for him for a variety of reasons. Placement limitations, gear limitations, not the type of complete sound he is expecting, etc.

H9
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    I will say my 705's were great when I bought them. Added some shotguns to them and they really opened up by a large margin. Wasn't a small change that's for sure.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Having run the LSiM 707, 705 and 703 with various MIT cables in various rooms I can say without question none sounded like Bruce describes his 707's at present.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Unfortunately Bruce can't afford MIT cables or other comparable brands....not even at used prices.

One cheap brand on the used markets I can recommend is Straley Reality cables. You can probably pick up a set of 8 footers for around 100-150 bucks.

Btw Bruce, do you have the speakers set to small or large ? If small, set them to large and see how they sound.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Tony they are set to small, I will try the large setting.

Other than being broke it also sucks that I need pretty long cable runs thus costing even more.

For the sake of conversation what do you think a pre/pro will do for me? I have always wanted a Halo P5 for the DAC and phono stage etc. but that is a long way off.
  • afterburnt
    edited December 2015
    Options
    any thoughts on the spikes? don't cost me nothing as a I have some however I think it will make it more difficult to move the speakers around
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    On carpet? I always spike my speakers through carpet. My 705's were spiked theough carpet and pad to subfloor with the supplied spikes.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• F1nut
    Options
    Always spike your speakers.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    any thoughts on the spikes? don't cost me nothing as a I have some however I think it will make it more difficult to move the speakers around

Your spouse may strong disagree about holes in the carpets and it may be costly to repair your carpets if you move. Occasionally you will want too clean and shampoo your carpets and spiking creates some issues.
    It isn't a good idea with a tile or nice hardwood floor either unless you use a suitable spike protector.
    If you are in an apartment, forget it.

Nevermind...
  • F1nut
    Options
    As I said, ALWAYS spike your speakers.

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    Options
    The spike holes go away with the simple use of a vacuum. I've never had problems even when carpet cleaning over them.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Holes in the carpet and costly to repair. Hahaha. WTF kind of carpet is this garage sale engineer talking about?

Sorry X, but WTF do you mean?
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Hardwood floors ,