active external crossovers

Options
I am biamping my system and am looking at options for external xovers. Anyone else doing this and what xovers are you using and differences between various offerings. Have used a rane a23 in the past and looking for better or other suggustions. Thanks.
Main Rig:
Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
MIT exp 1 ic's
Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
AQ kingcobra ic's
OPPO 83 CDP
Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
ADS L1590/2 Biamped
MIT exps2 speaker cable

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    Options
    Check out Marchand.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    I looked at their site and the adjacent xovers were beyond my budget.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    Finding a variety of units and pricing isn't an issue. Just trying to get some input on brands in current use and feedback on users experiences with them.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    While it's been quite a few years since I operated a bi-amped or tri-amped system I venture that all of those crossovers, I listed above, sound pretty limited and would negate any of the advantages gained from this approach.
    The best one to try and find would be the vintage Pioneer SF-850 crossover which show up on eBay fairly regularly. In all likelihood the only thing needed would be to clean the level adjustment pots. If you're at all handy the power supply and coupling caps could be updated. In terms of versatility and sound character the Pioneer is going to beat anything less than the Marchand.
    I've used the venerable Sony TA-4300F in the past with fine results, but that could be harder to find. There was a Pioneer Series 20 crossover which was excellent but impossible to find.
    Then there's always Audio Research crossovers, but they're selling for more now then when they were new. Classic vintage gear will be the one to think about.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have a Bryston 10B LR and several diy'ed units I have built from various blank PC boards depending upon specfic needs.I also have a DSP based Mini DSP 2x4.While not the sonic equal of my pure analog units it is by far the the most versatile.The cost of admission is very low and fun factor is high and a good way to get your feet wet in the active crossover bi-amping game. https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    I've been biamp ed for about 1 year or so with the krell, Mac 2120 and the rane and have been amazed with the improvement in the bass impact, I am going to a lot more power and dampin in with a bigger amp to replace the mac so I thought an improvement in xovers was in order. Would prefer vintage if I can find one as I have a fantastic tech to do any upgrades needed of wanted.I will ck out the suggustions you mentions but I know the Bryson is way out of the ballpark $wise ( I've seen them in the thousands I believe.)
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    Will mention that since I'm using RTA12c's for the mid and highs I've left their internal xovers alone and just send about 1k and above to them from the krell amp ( which I think they do a good job with) 1k and below has been sent to a separate pair of JBL L123a's (12" drivers out of the old L100 century speakers) in their own cabinets curently driven with the 2120 mac amp. This amp will be replaced with a 200+ watt adcom 555ii witch I feel will add a lot more "punch" over the mac. The rane has been doing fine (however I have no reference point to compare with other xovers as it is the only one I've used so far) but I know I can improve here easily. Just inexpiereanced with other choices of xovers to choose from.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    I have had a rane ac22 for years. I use it in my dj rig. Mine is the xlr version. Its surprisingly quiet.

If you want something that does more for a reasonable amout also check out dbx pa2 or venus. Otherwise more on the home end might wind up costing a bit more.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Here's information on the Pioneer Series 20 equipment including the crossover:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-Series_20.html
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    While it's been quite a few years since I operated a bi-amped or tri-amped system I venture that all of those crossovers, I listed above, sound pretty limited and would negate any of the advantages gained from this approach.
    The best one to try and find would be the vintage Pioneer SF-850 crossover which show up on eBay fairly regularly. In all likelihood the only thing needed would be to clean the level adjustment pots. If you're at all handy the power supply and coupling caps could be updated. In terms of versatility and sound character the Pioneer is going to beat anything less than the Marchand.
    I've used the venerable Sony TA-4300F in the past with fine results, but that could be harder to find. There was a Pioneer Series 20 crossover which was excellent but impossible to find.
    Then there's always Audio Research crossovers, but they're selling for more now then when they were new. Classic vintage gear will be the one to think about.
    Thanks Ken those pioneers look beautiful, but the 850 appears to be a 3 way.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Thanks Ken those pioneers look beautiful, but the 850 appears to be a 3 way.

Each crossover has the same frequency cut off selections

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/sf-850.shtml
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Here's the owner's manual:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/908286/Pioneer-Sf-850.html?page=4#manual

You can use it as either a 2-way or 3-way crossover, it has three selectable crossover slopes as well as the ability to adjust the crossover frequencies. They recognized the need for low phase distortion and low harmonic distortion and high signal/noise ratio.

• soundfreak1
    Options
    Thanks ken. Very cool looking unit.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you've been a really good boy this year, you could ask Santa for one of these:

https://passlabs.com/products/preamplifiers/speciality/xvr-1
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    Nice, don't think I've ever been that good. LOL
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Me neither...!
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    If I ever get what I deserve, God help me!
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    It looks as I will have to keep the rane for a while longer (as I figured) it sees the cost to "up grade" is going to be substantial apparently. Crap! LOL.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    If you've been a really good boy this year, you could ask Santa for one of these:

https://passlabs.com/products/preamplifiers/speciality/xvr-1

Howdy Freak,

Wondering if you ever made a move on the active XO . . .

There's one local and I'm debating if I wanna work that hard (and spend that much $$) for nirvana

Rock On!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    Yes I got lucky and found a vintage Nakimichi EC 100 with external powere supply. I had it recaped and rechiped. Fantastic sound.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    Yes I got lucky and found a vintage Nakimichi EC 100 with external powere supply. I had it recaped and rechiped. Fantastic sound.

ok!
    All-in-all ... was it/is it worth the effort dialing it in?
    It appears to take a lot of patience i.e. trial and error

TIA for your input!

AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    No problem "dialing it in as you just set the crossover point (according to your speakers) and balancing gain output by volume. Easy peasie
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I've been thinking (as much as I ever actually think about anything when it comes to hifi) lately about active crossovers myself, though I still know next to nothing about them.

The Rane XOs get good press.

One of the local vacuum tube hifi gurus says (very) nice things about the Electrovoice (pro audio, of course) XOs. There were several models, and apparently they can be a bit confusing, but as I understand it they are quite configurable (although some DIY may be required). One model was the EV XEQ-2 (two way, methinks), which, according to the aforementioned guru, was a rebranded Altec component.

http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet.net/proelectronics/prosignalprocessing/1631A-Manual.pdf

These offer (again, according to said guru) "time delay for driver alignment, totally configurable crossover points, slopes, and horn eq, and pretty neat bass sculpting."

a.jpg
    borrowed image from www.hifido.co.jp

EV manual at: http://www.electrovoice.com/binary/XEQ-2_Engineering_Data_Sheet.pdf

I'll be honest: cheapskate that I am, I've thought (more than once) about buying one of the truly cheap Behringer 2- or 3- way stereo XOs :/

A final "thought" (I really shouldn't even pretend to know anything about this subject!) -- my impression is that any of the vintage "brand name" consumer XOs, on the used (eBAY!) market are outrageously expensive. Many of the big names offered 'em, but they are uncommon and collectable. I also wonder how good they really are (independent of pretty high-end components like the Series20 Pioneer line Ken mentioned).