Digital out from Iphone 6 to DAC? (bypassing iPhone internal DAC)

Options
I was wondering if you could give me some direction here. I want to connect my iPhone 6 into a PS Audio DAC, which sound pretty dam good.

The idea is to use the digital signal bypassing the iPhone built in DAC, since the my DAC is from mid 90's it only has a coaxial and optical (Toslink) inputs.

How would you approach this?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Unless wadia made a new unit I haven't heard of anything on the market recently that will do this. Wadia made the first device with this feature but was made for the 30 pin devices not the lighting connector.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Can't he wi-fi it to another device then to the dac ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    So he can't say buy a cheap apple tv and stream the audio to it, then connect the apple tv to the dac ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Yeah, not the most optimal for sound quality.

Aren't most wi-fi enabled music servers these days apple compatible ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    Is there truth to the data loss over Airplay? Airplay sounds pretty damn good.
    I have a Apple TV connected HDMI to my AVR and I Airplay to it and it sounds awesome.
    I only store music on my iPhone 6s Plus in Apple Lossless so it always sounds pretty damn good. You can really tell the difference between Lossless and lower rez files as I have done countless shootouts on this.
    When I hardwire my laptop using USB to the AVR ( Built in DAC for B USB) playing the same exact song , it's barely noticeable any difference at all.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Read up on the use of the Apple adapter (CCK). It gives some (all?) functionality by converting from the lightning port to a USB jack. I've actually got one, but haven't played with it much because a) its connection to my Fiio E17 was spotty (sometimes phone thought DAC was drawing power, even though I set it to not do so) and my 'portable' setup was getting a bit ridiculous in terms of amount of cables. I'm doubly prevented from experimentation due to the fact that my DACs for my room systems are not USB-accepting; I do have a USB-to-digital coax converter but it draws power from usb port so stymied again.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/746636/dac-for-iphone-6
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, my system is prehistoric, no wireless or USB digital inputs. Only Toslink and Coax at a not so old DAC.

This sounds crazy, I listen LP discs and CDs most of the time. However, lately I have been listening itunes radio a lot. Upgrading is out of question. Firstly, I am poor and then I love my equipment, too many hours spent learning and restoring it.

Also, thinking that one solution would be buying an old MAC mini and set a music server with appropriated player software as I read here:

http://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-build-a-music-server/
    Does this sound a good idea?

In my other setup, I can stream Digital signal or connect via USB with (non-apple) devices to a pretty cheap wireless Samsung Blue Ray player without internal DAC.

This Blu Ray player transfers the digital signal through a coaxial to the DAC and then the LR analog signal goes to an integrated amp. Clean and simple!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    If you are listening to iTunes Radio then the point is moot since iTunes music is braindead by design. An external DAC is not going to add quality that has been removed.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited November 2015
    Options
    xgv4ioxgpmyr.jpg

4a1vbochfxgj.jpg

I think I have a solution this pure I 20 has A built in DAC and you can use it hooked up to your preamp with RCA's or better yet you can utilize it hooked up to your present DAC via toslink, that's how mine is hooked up and the tunes off all my I pods and I phones sound fantastic. I know you will need a 30 pin/lighting adapter.

I bet if you call I Pures customer service they should be able to hook you up the best $100 I spent on a apple products Dock/DAC check it out if it works your golden, the tunes going through my I-20 utilizing my Marantz's 15s2bs DAC sound great.

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Steve's suggestion above looks promising. And your mac mini suggestion is also great, but there are cheaper options:

1. HRT iStreamer: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004H5UYLO/ref=psdc_689637011_t2_B0049MOK92

2. iFi Nano i DSD: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Nano-iDSD-Portable-Decoder-384kHz/dp/B00R5HO426/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1448906811&sr=1-1&keywords=ifi+nano+idsd Skip is or was a dealer, and I think his were cheaper. Excellent sounding dac for the money, and it will work with an iphone with a camera adapter (about 30 bucks).
    3. By any old cheapy computer (like an Intel Next unit of computing or an off-lease mini tower from tiger direct) and use it as server. Remember, you can put itunes on a PC ;-)

Good luck!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    I run my laptop through a HRT Streamer to my preamp, good solid product the IFI will also do the job and our very own Skip at Audio Thesis sells their products, there you go its possible, and 3 ways to go about doing it.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    Options
    This is good, you can choose between using the analog and digital outputs if you have a high-quality separate DCA.