Not a bi-wire thread

Options
I purchased a pair of advertised new, old model MIT AVT bw2 12ft speaker cables couple of weeks ago off Ebay. I ordered new iconn Regular Banana plugs that screw into the cable ends from MIT (there were none in the AVT box).
Banana plugs connect tightly onto the threaded wire ends & fit very nicely into the back of the 705's and A3020. The bw denotes bi-wired, 'love having the bi-wiring pre-finished, no jamming double wires into my 3020 speaker connects.
These things are a hunk of cable, they stay where you put them and do not appear to cause undue strain on either the speaker or amp connects. The ends are marked high & low for connection into the speakers.
As disclosed, discussed & debated on the last giant Bi-Wire thread, what you hear is what you hear.
To my inexperienced and un-nuanced ears my system sounds better with these MIT cables. I was using Amazon-bought nothing special speaker wire, bi-wired into messy connections at my amp.
Sound is fuller, more detail coming through the speakers and a bigger sound. High volume listening is less stressful as peaks are smoother. Thanks F1nut & others for prodding me forward. I know these are low end cables, there is a difference, where to next?
PS do the cables have a break in period?

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Normally they do.....but it takes time and you'll probably not notice since it happens slowly.

Glad you like them, if you never just simply tried for yourself, you'd never know, right ? That's all we ask of people. The higher up the chain you go, the differences become more pronounced...given your electronics is of similar quality. Your not going to put 800 buck cables on Monitor 7's.....know what I'm sayin' ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ukcolin99
    ukcolin99 Posts: 286
    Options
    Agreed & thanks Tony. Figure the garden hose-like diameter of these cables allows more signal to flow into speakers that are capable of handling it to produce better quality sound. Might be tempted to try MIT cable for the center although for me this is all about 2 channel music into the 705's. Cannot imagine trying to run these cables to my surrounds or the Monitors that are 50ft away.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Don't mistake garden hose size for quality, MIT has more to it than that and I've heard some similar sized cables I wouldn't use on anything.

I'd suggest not wasting your coin on upgraded cables to surrounds, unless you enjoy 5.1 music. Otherwise, the magic rests in 2 channel.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Those avt 2 bi wire retail for around 700$ msrp! I use the avt3 bi wire for my front 3, a very nice solidly built cable. would love to try something higher up the MIT food chain sometime, like shot guns or magnums. But looking at some serious coin for those.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tonyb
    Options
    That's why you have to find them used or on clearance.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    Options
    Figure the garden hose-like diameter of these cables allows more signal to flow into speakers that are capable of handling it to produce better quality sound.

I get the impression you think what is inside is massive gauge stranded wire. That's not the case at all. MIT cables use multiple runs of unique configurations plus the networks to produce the better sound quality you hear.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    Options

tonyb wrote: »
    That's why you have to find them used or on clearance.

Definitely agree. Have had my eyes peeled on both. Still in the 600$ range though. But a great deal considering retail is 2000$.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    ZCords were recently a very good deal too. Picked up 3. Good power cables!
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    Like yourself cbridle I joined up here and was using cheap bare wire but from mono price. I was on the fence about cables and just wanted a high quality low cost upgrade. It was not until that MIT had a sale and Itool the plunge and scored a whole 4 pairs of AVT for my HT and it really opened my eyes not just to cables giving me more but everything! Good to hear your loving them but it gets really expensive the higher you climb that ladder so enjoy staying where you are right now.
  • ukcolin99
    Options
    Thank you F1n, you are correct, keep sharing your knowledge. pfb, noted and agree I'm gonna enjoy what I have for a while. Thinking the Yamaha, 705's & AVT's are a good price/performance match for 2 channel musical enjoyment for at least 6 months....
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,915
    Options
    Funny I just ordered a set of MIT Shotgun S3 Biwire.. I'm not expecting much change if any from my standard Shotguns but I got them for a great price I had to have them.. LOL!!
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    One pair of shot gun s3 on MIT clearance....489$... Only if our loon wasn't so crappy right now.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• ukcolin99
    Options
    I saw the shot guns luckily they were only 10ft, saved my wallet some pain. They are gone now. I see MIT Cables has a new(ish) forum on their web site, maaan there's some member's w/fancy hardware on there.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,915
    Options
    I got them hooked up last night, I won't make any assessments till later, but I also added Pangea AC-9 PC's to my amps as well..

I am now running full MIT Shotgun S3 cables and Pangea PC's throughout my system..
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    I think my very first post in this forum was about bi-wire. At the time, I thought clear coat speaker wire was the only thing available to connect speakers. I also thought the larger the gauge, the better. So I came up with this brilliant idea, I wanted to take two individual cables of clear coat wire and run them to each speaker, creating a thicker gauge form of transit for the signal. So I joined the forum to ask about my brilliant idea, not knowing that bi-wire cables existed. I thought I'd join an elite group of audio enthusiasts by being the inventor of a new type of cable. I was going to be rich! Yeah...that worked out brilliantly!

So FYI, I'm actually the inventor of bi-wire cables, I just thought of the idea a couple decades too late. I'm a late bloomer, I guess.
  • sribulusu
    Options
    Is there is a significant/noticeable difference when you biwire? I recently got the monitor 60 (T600) towers for cyber Monday sale. My JVC amp (RX7000) shut down with flashing "overload" past volume level on 50. Any thoughts?
  • tonyb
    Options
    sribulusu wrote: »
    Is there is a significant/noticeable difference when you biwire? I recently got the monitor 60 (T600) towers for cyber Monday sale. My JVC amp (RX7000) shut down with flashing "overload" past volume level on 50. Any thoughts?

The monitor 60's are fairly easy to drive by most any gear. I would check your speaker connections at both ends, speaker/receiver. If your using bare wire connections, make sure none of the rubber coating is caught inside the posts or stray wire touching another from another post. As always, use some quality cable too.

.....and keep the volume down if that doesn't solve the issue.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's