When connecting a turntable

Options
"The PHONO jack of the unit is compatible with an MM cartridge. To connect a turntable with a low output MC cartridge use a boosting transformer"

What does this mean?

Comments

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It means if you put on a moving coil cartridge then you will need a compatible phono stage.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    It means if you put on a moving coil cartridge then you will need a compatible phono stage.

Jeremy, do you speak "idiot" because I don't understand that either?
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    What Jeremy said ^^^^^. A good explanation here: http://www.needledoctor.com/FAQs/Phono-Preamp-FAQs
  • afterburnt
    Options
    This TT has a "MM type cartridge phono equalizer amplifier" so I dont need one I guess. So where do I plug it in, phono or Aux?
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited July 2015
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    "The PHONO jack of the unit is compatible with an MM cartridge. To connect a turntable with a low output MC cartridge use a boosting transformer"

Also known as SUT or Step Up Transformer. It boosts the small output signal of an MC cartridge so you don't have to buy a higher gain phono pre amp. SUT's go between the turntable and phono pre amp.

SUT's can be of mild to wild pricing. You can also buy the parts and DIY. They can have fixed gain or have two gain stages to choose from.

For example, my DIY SUT has two gain stages, 26 dB or 32 dB gain. The signal goes through small transformer windings (passive, not powered). Adding 26db or 32dB to a 40dB MM phono stage gives you 66dB or 72dB. Plenty of gain for a LOMC (Low Output MC Cartridge, like .3mV).

A popular brand of SUT trannies.

file.php?id=7518&t=1

carlssut_4.jpg

You find/build them with trannies inside or outside.

bobs-devices-sky-cinemag-sut-6.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    Are you using a high or low output cartridge ?? If is it's a low output cart I could send you an a Ortofon Step up to try. Plus Dskip is correct plug it into the Aux.

P-man
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • aprazer402
    Options
    Just curious afterburnt, what turntable do you have that has it's own built-in phono amp? A newer Audio-Technica that also has USB connectivity?
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    I'm assuming the supplied cartridge is MM and compatible with its own internal preamp so connect it to the aux.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • afterburnt
    Options
    pumpkinman wrote: »
    Are you using a high or low output cartridge ?? If is it's a low output cart I could send you an a Ortofon Step up to try. Plus Dskip is correct plug it into the Aux.

P-man

Bill I have no idea I cant find the specs on it. audio-technica MM(VM)type phonograph cartridge AT95E

• aprazer402
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Page ten of the user's manual for the TEAC TT you have states you can use either the internal pre-amp on the TT to the Aux. input of the pre-amp, receiver... OR you can switch off the TT pre-amp and use the phono stage of the amp., or receiver. If your amp has a phono input you can switch back and forth and see which one sound the best. This is assuming a MM cartridge and only a MM phono stage in amp. I did not read the TT manual enough to see if the TT's internal phono amp is capable of the step-up required for a LOMC.
  • afterburnt
    Options
  • aprazer402
    Options
    LOMC "Low Output Moving Coil" type of cartridge that requires a step-up transformer or a MC capable phono stage built-in to your receiver, pre-amp or integrated amp. Re-read S Compracer and P-Man's posts above.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    You can have the whole gatdamn freakin' junk, man! You can kiss my bum in the county square cause I'm freakin' buggin' out! I didn't come here for this! I don't freakin' need it, I don't want it! I didn't get out of the gatdamn Eighth grade for this kinda junk! All I wanted to do was freakin' listen! I just wanted to learn to freakin' listen, man! Bye tiger, bye tiger...
  • afterburnt
    Options
  • pumpkinman
    Options
    The AT95e is MM. No step up is required just plug it in and go. aprazer402 is correct use the onboard phono pre or the phono pre (if there is one) in your receiver/preamp. Listen to both and decide for your self which you like best.

P-man

lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• afterburnt
    Options
    I found the output spec: 3.5 mV (1 kHz, 5 cm/sec). Is that high or low. Sorry about the outburst, I seem to have a touch of apoplexy %^)
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited July 2015
    Options
    :p AB you are what Dean Martin called a "Kick in the Head :) hang in there brother! you got all the friends you need right here ...we will help you send every penny you own :)

BTW for phono cartridges you have 3 types...MM - MC high -MC low ... now if you have a phono amp which say its for MM only it normally works OK for HIGH MC cartridges like my MC =Moving coil - Blue point #2 or MM = Moving magnet ..that is the setting I use, but Moving Coil - MC comes in two version high and low.

now some say LOW MC are the best but need a better phono amp to handle them...
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • pumpkinman
    Options
    3.5 mV is high output
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• afterburnt
    Options
    Bill maybe i should just come over and listen to your records
  • afterburnt
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    :p AB you are what Dean Martin called a "Kick in the Head :) hang in there brother! you got all the friends you need right here ...we will help you send every penny you own :)

What a pal, what a pal!

voltz: Now look, would I turn on this gas if my friend Afterburnt was in there?

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Try it both ways. 1) Use the TT's internal preamp and hook it up to aux and then 2) turn off the TT's internal preamp and hook it up to phono. See which one sounds better to you.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Get a High Output Moving Coil (HOMC) Cartridge. You can use these on a MM phono stage. You can thank me later. ;)

Like this?

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/cartridges/230bf7df33e9687d/index.html
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    Options
    You can have the whole gatdamn freakin' junk, man! You can kiss my bum in the county square cause I'm freakin' buggin' out! I didn't come here for this! I don't freakin' need it, I don't want it! I didn't get out of the gatdamn Eighth grade for this kinda junk! All I wanted to do was freakin' listen! I just wanted to learn to freakin' listen, man! Bye tiger, bye tiger...

Seriously? That AT cart is a standard unit that will connect to almost ANY receiver with a phono stage! Why all questions and drama? Hook it up with the ground wire and start spinning. It's not rocket science!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    LOL....chill my good man. TT's can get you all riled up for sure which is why some have moved on from them. Like CNH said, it's not rocket science but there are some things you need to know.

Just my .02, but measure the distance between the TT and the ground out the nearest window and make sure the cables are a bit shorter. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    Options
    cnh wrote: »

Seriously? That AT cart is a standard unit that will connect to almost ANY receiver with a phono stage! Why all questions and drama? Hook it up with the ground wire and start spinning. It's not rocket science!
    Of course I am not serious. You don't recognize that is basically a line from "Apocalypse Now". I am a bit frustrated but I will get it together.

• afterburnt
    Options

P-man
    Thanks Bill, thanks for the offer! What exactly will an Ortofon do?
  • pumpkinman
    Options
    voltz wrote: »

What a pal, what a pal!

voltz: Now look, would I turn on this gas if my friend Afterburnt was in there?

(Use Irish accent)
    You might rabbit you might
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• pumpkinman
    Options

P-man
    Thanks Bill, thanks for the offer! What exactly will an Ortofon do?

Nothing with the cartridge you now have now. You're pretty much ready to play vinyl.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    Hey that's a nice turntable, so your no dummy!
    In the 70's almost every decent receiver had a Phono input so you would plug the turntable into that. In the 90's turntables went away so there was no need for a Phono input. Here comes 2015 and people buy turntables once more. Well Teac knew that so they boosted the output with a "built in" Phono input so you could just plug in to a regular AUX or Audio input.
    But if you do still have a Phono input you can turn off the "built in " booster in the Teac and use yours.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1