Another multi channel bites the dust

Options
kevhed72
kevhed72 Posts: 4,967
sort of....I discovered one channel of my Parasound 1205a is out....this is the 2nd older Parasound I have had an issue with for HT duty which between tv, movies and x box gets a workout in my house. I cannot gripe too much, due the HCAs in general are getting up there in age and I bought both of mine used. Do I dare go the Emo route for HT....new....so in theory I never need to worry about this again? Looking back, I should have went brand new from the start for a solid HT amp. One last note....I would normally just leave the amp on full time so people wouldnt keep turning on and off multiple times in a day.

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    sort of....I discovered one channel of my Parasound 1205a is out....this is the 2nd older Parasound I have had an issue with for HT duty which between tv, movies and x box gets a workout in my house. I cannot gripe too much, due the HCAs in general are getting up there in age and I bought both of mine used. Do I dare go the Emo route for HT....new....so in theory I never need to worry about this again? Looking back, I should have went brand new from the start for a solid HT amp. One last note....I would normally just leave the amp on full time so people wouldnt keep turning on and off multiple times in a day.

Before you go tossing the amp, try replacing all the fuses to see if the channel comes back.

Mark's 1500A lost a channel last year, we pulled the fuses went to RS and bought new ones to replace them and wala fully functional amp again!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • voight1
    voight1 Posts: 51
    Options
    Got my xpa-5 about a month ago and have zero complaints. Im running it on a fully timber matched rtia setup, which some say is overly bright with emo amps...but I have a pioneer elite and was able to adjust my x-curve which helped. Sounds great and have some peace of mind with 5 years of warranty... Emo is probably the biggest bang for your buck on the current market IMOP.. I agree I would try and trouble shoot a bit with your current amp and see if you can figure out what's going on with it. Good luck with everything
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    Some people and their groupies just have a personal hate on Emotiva and I would just ignore them.

Nobody here hates Emotiva, only the thought that they are just as good or better than higher dollar equipment. I don't think you'll find a single person, including @F1nut that won't agree Emotiva is fine if you're looking for an HT amp in that budget and want a warranty, otherwise go used and get better.

Why would someone ignore advice from anybody with as much experience in a particular hobby as some of these guys have? Perhaps your advice to ignore is the one that should be ignored.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,743
    Options
    I've had two Parasound amps lose a channel in the past. In both cases, it was just the circuit that powers on the relay. One needed a new cap, the other needed a diode. Less than a dollar in parts in both cases.

You may want to have them checked out, shouldn't cost much. In my case I have friend that does electronic repair (non-audio normally), so any shop should be able to handle it. It took him less than an hour in both cases.