Used B&K Reference 200.5 vs. new Emotiva XPA-5

Options
I currently own a Parasound HCA 1205A. Unfortunately, I can only use for the front 3 channels of my HT system because one of the channels is out. I want an amp with all 5 channels working. I have been looking at a B&K Reference 200.5 and Emotiva XPA-5. The Emo costs $1k brand new, and the 200.5 can be found used for about $850. I've heard the B&K, and I really like its warm sound. I haven't heard the XPA-5, but I've heard and read good things about it. One major concern that I have about the B&K is that if something goes wrong with it, I would have to ship it to ATI in California to have it repaired. (The B&K weighs about 75 lbs, and I live in Florida, so shipping and insurance would cost a bunch.) With the Emo, I'd have a 5 year warranty. Also, I really do like the amp that I have right now. To have it factory repaired, I would have to ship it to Parasound out in California, and shipping and insurance would be expensive, although it would not be anywhere near as expensive as shipping the B&K. So, I have some choices:

1. But the Emo for $!k brand new, with a 5 year warranty.
2. Buy the B&K for about $850 and roll the dice that it might not need repairing in the near future.
3. Bite the bullet and ship the 1205A out to Cali and have it factory repaired.
4. Keep the 1205A as it is and be a happy camper with a great 3 channel amp.

What say ye? (BTW, my front 3 speakers a a pair of Paradigm 11s3MkIII's and a Paradigm CC-490.)
Paradigm 11seMkIII mains, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
Paradigm CC 450 center, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
Polk Audio RTi6 surrounds
Paradigm SE sub
Sony BDP S5100 blu-ray player
Panasonic 50" plasma
Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
Parasound HCA 1205A amp
Audioquest Evergreen IC's

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    While I LOVED my B&K reference 200.2 for my 2-channel. I like my lower pwered rotel for HT. Probably because it's a little brighter.

I've heard a lot about the EMO being good for HT so that's something to consider. That being said I don't think you could go wrong with the 200.5.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am biased a bit toward B&K. There is no reason you HAVE to ship it to ATI if it acts up. A local tech can look at it just as easy.

My local guy fixed a bad channel for me no problem. I also have a service schematic (would have to double check) so you can give that to a local tech to help. I don't think there are any unobtanium parts in the amp either.

I see no real reason to AVOID it HOWEVER, if warranty matters the Emo would work as well. You could look at the price difference as the cost of the warranty. Additionally Emo warranties are transferable so you could buy a used on with some warranty time left and save a little too.

The B&K is still new enough it's got years before it would need recapping and they aren't know to just explode either. Very heavy amp, lots of power, balanced and RCA input if that matters.

Lastly, why do you think you need that much power? Your Paradigms are fairly easy to drive so you could get by with a less powerful amp easily. And with that type of budget you could get a really nice amp from other brands as well.

Although Parasound, B&K, Carver, Sunfire and Outlaw are some of my favs
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • hochpt21
    Options
    I was hoping Dan would chip in. The B&K was my favorite amp up to the MF and powere the heck outta my cheapie Monitor70's but was a hair laid back for sharp HT sound effects for the 1 month I threw it in that system.

For 2-channel it was a knockout.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • hochpt21
    Options
    Plus what speakers?? That would make a big difference...
  • Sci-fi Polk Guy
    Options
    I am biased a bit toward B&K. There is no reason you HAVE to ship it to ATI if it acts up. A local tech can look at it just as easy.

My local guy fixed a bad channel for me no problem. I also have a service schematic (would have to double check) so you can give that to a local tech to help. I don't think there are any unobtanium parts in the amp either.

I see no real reason to AVOID it HOWEVER, if warranty matters the Emo would work as well. You could look at the price difference as the cost of the warranty. Additionally Emo warranties are transferable so you could buy a used on with some warranty time left and save a little too.

The B&K is still new enough it's got years before it would need recapping and they aren't know to just explode either. Very heavy amp, lots of power, balanced and RCA input if that matters.

Lastly, why do you think you need that much power? Your Paradigms are fairly easy to drive so you could get by with a less powerful amp easily. And with that type of budget you could get a really nice amp from other brands as well.

Although Parasound, B&K, Carver, Sunfire and Outlaw are some of my favs

I don't really NEED that much power. It's the same reason why some folks in the U.S. like to own Ferraris even though the max speed limit is about 75mph. I really like having large current reserves. That's what drew me to the Paras ound. Also, I may upgrade my fronts to a larger, not so easy to drive model. So, in a way, using an amp with great current reserves would help to future-proof my system. Besides, you know how audio people are. There is no such thing as too much power. I imagine that if someday there were an amp that could produce 2000 watts per channel into 5 channels, there would be a good number of folks who would buy it. (You'd probably have to get a second mortgage on your house to buy it, though. :) )
    Paradigm SE sub
    Panasonic 50" plasma
    Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
    Parasound HCA 1205A amp
  • Sci-fi Polk Guy
    Sci-fi Polk Guy Posts: 194
    edited March 2015
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Plus what speakers?? That would make a big difference...

Fronts: Paradigm 11seMkIII's
    Center: Paradigm CC-450
    Surrounds: Polk Audio Rti6's

(I made a couple of typos in the OP. The information above is correct.)

Paradigm SE sub
    Panasonic 50" plasma
    Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
    Parasound HCA 1205A amp
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    I don't really NEED that much power. It's the same reason why some folks in the U.S. like to own Ferraris even though the max speed limit is about 75mph. I really like having large current reserves. That's what drew me to the Paras ound. Also, I may upgrade my fronts to a larger, not so easy to drive model. So, in a way, using an amp with great current reserves would help to future-proof my system. Besides, you know how audio people are. There is no such thing as too much power. I imagine that if someday there were an amp that could produce 2000 watts per channel into 5 channels, there would be a good number of folks who would buy it. (You'd probably have to get a second mortgage on your house to buy it, though. :) )

Yup, I get that no problem.

To me this is what it comes down to

Cost = B&K wins
    Warranty = Emotiva wins

Amp that has your sonic signature = ???????

I'd say with the Paradigms you would want the warmth of the B&K and I'm scared the Emo "might" be bright. I say that however without ever hearing one, so I'm going strictly off what I've read here and elsewhere.

Overall if you can get it for a good price with someone having checked it out beforehand that would be to me a no brainer.

It cost me 140 to rebuild one channel of my amp, with labor being 80 an hour. But I wouldn't worry too much about a B&K being bad if the seller seems legit. I am 99% sure I messed up my amps channel myself.

Hell I'm keeping a B&K search on my eBay preferences to see if I can snatch up more low priced B&K's just to have lol...

I dream of a dual 200.5 setup to bi-amp all of my LSi's lol..... But TBH have no need for it.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There is no such thing as too much power. I imagine that if someday there were an amp that could produce 2000 watts per channel into 5 channels, there would be a good number of folks who would buy it. (You'd probably have to get a second mortgage on your house to buy it, though. :) )
    Well, there are many that already run a rack of pro audio amps. Then there is the D-Sonic class D amps...very crazy multi-channel numbers.

M3-2800-7 (7 channels) 7 x 400w
    M3-3200-5 (5 channels) 3 x 800w, 2 x 400W
    M3-4000-7 (7 channels) 3 x 800w, 4x 400w
    M3-5400-7 (7 channels) 2 x 1500w, 1 x 800w, 4 x 400W

Anyway, a good bench tech probably can fix your amp....The cost might be $60-$120 on the low side...you never know. Find a local guy. I would do that then put the money you were going to spend on a replacement amp on speakers. Your amp should be able to drive most out there. Your Parasound is very capable!

Power supply:
    1205A
    1.6 kVA Toroid power transformer with independent secondary windings for each channel, 100,000 µF power supply filter capacitance
    http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e93/stevefish69/1205atop.jpg

XPA-5
    1,2kVA toroidal transformer with 60,000uF storage capacitance
    http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0104/5532/products/XPA5_INTERIOR_1_1024x1024.jpg?8832
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Sci-fi Polk Guy
    Options

WLDock wrote: »
    There is no such thing as too much power. I imagine that if someday there were an amp that could produce 2000 watts per channel into 5 channels, there would be a good number of folks who would buy it. (You'd probably have to get a second mortgage on your house to buy it, though. :) )
    Well, there are many that already run a rack of pro audio amps. Then there is the D-Sonic class D amps...very crazy multi-channel numbers.

M3-2800-7 (7 channels) 7 x 400w
    M3-3200-5 (5 channels) 3 x 800w, 2 x 400W
    M3-4000-7 (7 channels) 3 x 800w, 4x 400w
    M3-5400-7 (7 channels) 2 x 1500w, 1 x 800w, 4 x 400W

You're right. Those are crazy power numbers. I saw a review for the M3-5400-7 from about 4 years ago, and it cost back then about $1k less than a Parasound Halo A51 costs now.

Paradigm SE sub
    Panasonic 50" plasma
    Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
    Parasound HCA 1205A amp
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I owned an xpa 3, and did an ok job for home theater. A great deal for new, but i never really liked that amp. I currently have 2 b&k reference mono blocks, endless amounts of power, and caps the size of coke cans. Haven't tried them for home theater but great for music. Love the laid back sound, was never a fan of emo's bright sound.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    Options
    Another vote for finding someone local to repair your Parasound. If the only options are what you layed out in the OP, I'd take the B&K.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    Not much love for Emo in these parts. :)
  • Sci-fi Polk Guy
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »

Thanks!! I've heard great things about Anthem amps and the MRX receivers.
    Paradigm SE sub
    Panasonic 50" plasma
    Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
    Parasound HCA 1205A amp
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Paradigm and Anthem were made for each other.

Might have something to do the fact they are sister companies lol....

• Sci-fi Polk Guy
    Options
    Not much love for Emo in these parts. :)

Trust me; I know. In fact, I haven't seen many Paradigm owners in these parts!! :D
    Paradigm SE sub
    Panasonic 50" plasma
    Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
    Parasound HCA 1205A amp
  • Sci-fi Polk Guy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    If you like the 1205, then find someone local and get it fixed. It's cheaper and the cost will be offset by the higher price you could sell it for - if you ever do.

I've tried the service centers listed on Parasound's website. Does anyone know about a good service center in the St, Pete/Clearwater/Tampa Florida area? (Preferably a place that you've had experience with.)
    Paradigm SE sub
    Panasonic 50" plasma
    Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
    Parasound HCA 1205A amp
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    If you like the 1205, then find someone local and get it fixed. It's cheaper and the cost will be offset by the higher price you could sell it for - if you ever do.

I've tried the service centers listed on Parasound's website. Does anyone know about a good repair place in the St, Pete/Clearwater/Tampa Florida area. (Preferably a place that you've had experience with.)

I'd almost start a thread with that title. Might get some of the FL folks to chime in.

• bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    Options
    Buy the Emo for $!k brand new, with a 5 year warranty.

I did.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Does anyone know about a good service center in the St, Pete/Clearwater/Tampa Florida area? (Preferably a place that you've had experience with.)
    No experience but what about these guys: http://www.proaudioe.com/
    "Servicing TV, Stereo, & Audiophile equipment since 1989" and they have the big McIntosh right next to O-Scope in the picture. Sounds like a good start!

The Service manual can be found on the net if you search.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Sci-fi Polk Guy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    Does anyone know about a good service center in the St, Pete/Clearwater/Tampa Florida area? (Preferably a place that you've had experience with.)
    No experience but what about these guys: http://www.proaudioe.com/
    "Servicing TV, Stereo, & Audiophile equipment since 1989" and they have the big McIntosh right next to O-Scope in the picture. Sounds like a good start!

The Service manual can be found on the net if you search.

Thanks a bunch. Talked with 'em earlier this morning. Just wanted some more options to explore.

Paradigm SE sub
    Panasonic 50" plasma
    Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
    Parasound HCA 1205A amp
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Thanks a bunch. Talked with 'em earlier this morning. Just wanted some more options to explore.

Yup, the hardest part is finding the local guy, then you just never go anywhere else :smile:.

My guy has done work for a bunch of diff guys in my area with no problems, so I will keep using him till I cant no more :wink:
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Paradigm and Anthem were made for each other.

Might have something to do the fact they are sister companies lol....

Shhhh....why's yous gots to blow up my spot!!!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,063
    Options
    Another vote for fixing the Parasound. A good service guy will not only fix the problem, he'll go over it and make sure there are no other issues, which gives you peace of mind.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    If fixable the Parasound is the best bet. If not then you got a tough call to make lol
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    Scifi, get a proceed 5 or 3ch amp and call it a day.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The Parasound is fine for your needs. That series of Paradigm speakers is NOT particularly "bright". I used to have the larger bookshelves and a bright amp didn't really affect them that much, to my surprise!

Of course the Parasound is not bright. But I'm just saying that the Emotiva, which is normally bright, would not be horrible with your speaker set.

Good luck!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]