Legacy Audio Focus Crossover Modification Thread

Comments

• VR3VR3 Posts: 21,818
    Government Mule is great, on that particular CD there are two tracks that are a real Audiophile treat for sure, great imaging. I find that modifications really bring out the snare and cymbals in the recording.
    Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
    Here is another - this is with the drivers on the same plane

This is with a $100 Insignia receiver, .50 tweeters, Definitive midbass drivers and Xbox 360 source

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,889
    Nice work Trey but a question...ok so the jacks say "Driver Output", "Highs", "Mids" and "Lows", wheres da "Input" jack?
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
    The inputs are the highs mids and lows, it is set up for tri wire

Thank you :)

I made some custom inserts to go inside the units for shipping.

These weighed in at 75 pounds shipping weight! :)yp30jllti5u0.jpg

• blehmboblehmbo Posts: 180
    very nice and clean. they look great.
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 4,675
    I hope the owner finds a nice way to display them! These should not be hidden.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
    Thank you gentlemen :)

• Moose68BashMoose68Bash Posts: 3,442
    Now, Trey, your are venturing into industrial engineering and packaging design!

You never cease to amaze me! :)

Onward and upward. I can't wait to see your next (ad)venture!
    Family Room, PS Audio PW Transport, DirectStream DAC; AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux SM6 MKII Pre; AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps or CAT 600.2 Dualmono Amp, Morrow SP7 Speaker Cables, SDA SRS 1.2tls (RD0198s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: "The Abbot" Monastery-Level Xovers, Custom Internal Wiring, Binding Post Plates, & SDA ICs).

Exercise Room, Wadia 171 iPod Dock, PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC, AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux SM6 Preamp, AQ King Cobra RCAs, Perreaux PMF3150 Amp, Dreadnought, Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables, SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers).

Synology 713+ NAS on Gigabit LAN serving PW MkII DAC & DirectStream DAC.
    Thanks Phil :tongue:

It wasnt to much of a big deal, I used 6 mil foam and great stuff, let it set about 30-40 minutes then put it out in the sun

Worked liked a champ as I wanted to make sure the inductors would be snug in their transit!

Very wise, Trey.

I recently had to return one of my PS Audio DACs to the factory for warranty service. When they returned it to me, FedEx had apparently dropped the box.

The result: One of the transformers in the DAC broke loose and was moving around inside. I had to ship it back to them for more repairs.

As good as their standard, original packaging is, it can't withstand the shock when dropped. Your packaging ought to prevent that.
    Family Room, PS Audio PW Transport, DirectStream DAC; AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux SM6 MKII Pre; AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps or CAT 600.2 Dualmono Amp, Morrow SP7 Speaker Cables, SDA SRS 1.2tls (RD0198s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: "The Abbot" Monastery-Level Xovers, Custom Internal Wiring, Binding Post Plates, & SDA ICs).

Exercise Room, Wadia 171 iPod Dock, PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC, AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux SM6 Preamp, AQ King Cobra RCAs, Perreaux PMF3150 Amp, Dreadnought, Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables, SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers).

I hear you there Phil, I have had experiences similar. I remember when I went to the UPS hub to pick up my SVS cylinder subwoofer and caught a glimpse of a package falling in excess of 15 feet from the conveyor belt...

Oh my! :-D

The initial response to the modifications is extremely positive but I am awaiting a formal review to post. I will start a different thread with his pics and review so it is not diluted into this one.

To quote Elon Musk, ""There's so much hope riding on that rocket," "So when it worked — and Dragon worked, the solar arrays deployed and people saw their handiwork in space operating as it should — it was tremendous elation."

Little teaser picture before the review

144a28z8y5mh.jpg

Trey, awesome, they aren't being hidden but put out for show with the rest of the gear, nicely done man, nicely done!
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.

I am pretty certain he will eventually put matching side panels on them to go with the speakers (which I would do to, only really makes sense

• mrbironmrbiron Posts: 4,408
    Trey, that looks Fu&^'n sweet!
    Nice job! The matching sides will bring them to a whole new level. Would his plan still be to have a window into the network or cover them completely?
    Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65, Bryston BDA-2, Cheap TT, PS Audio UPC200, PS Audio AC3's, Zu Mission SC's, HTPC, One, Bottlehead Reduction & Crack w/Speedball
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,628
    Man, I want that stand too. Love the finish on the speaks as well.

Trey, you need some kind of fancy logo on the front of that box. Something that designates who did this fine work.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
  • drumminmandrumminman Posts: 3,346
    Impressive! Great work Trey. Hope he does a review now and one after 200-300 hours.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
    Thank you guys for the kind words :) these were a good challenge and I am humbled they have been created :)

tonyb wrote: »
    Trey, you need some kind of fancy logo on the front of that box. Something that designates who did this fine work.

Trey, I second that comment! However, I wouldn't go too "fancy" because your work is clean and elegant. Your logo should reflect those characteristics of your work. I actually think, for example, "Version 3 Audio / Monastery Series / 'The Abbot'" on a small, high quality brass plaque would work well (the slashes indicate line breaks). This is, of course, more or less what you do today on the inside.

Agreed, even if it just said VR3 Audio, like on a magnet so people can decide for themselves if they want to place it on the crossover casing, or the fridge holding up those report cards.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
    edited June 2015
    n7rebc6ddig0.jpg
    Thanks guys :smile:

I have contemplated a "Version 3" badge for the front of gear but I am really really picky about this and I would want something extremely high quality, think like CNC plates. The downside is this is very expensive to do on a smaller scale. I could totally "print" one out on my 3D printer and that is some of the things I am working on.

I have slowly been designing a line of cables, this customer enjoyed the cables I included which are kind of a prototype of a Monastery line of cables :smile:

Never seeing the entire speaker, I'm assuming the styling on the outboard crossovers mimics the speakers or am I totally off the trail with this thinking?

Also, covering up the insides of the crossovers would be criminal, that's beautiful work. Electronics as art!
    edited June 2015
    lqbafupdupsy.jpg
    The slant I incorporated into the design is similar to the speaker and he is going to put matching wood side panels on the sides :)

I don't think I ever saw a big floorstander tilted in the front like that. To each his own though. The Focus speakers are pretty big, it just looks funky.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
    I did this to my super towers due to the height of the tweeter. If your tweeter it's above ear level, you are missing out

VR3 wrote: »
    I did this to my super towers due to the height of the tweeter. If your tweeter it's above ear level, you are missing out

Yeah, I know why he did it, just never really seen anyone actually do it with floorstanders. I never was one that subscribed to the tweeter at ear level thing anyway. Sometimes even sitting on the floor offers a better sound. To each their own though, love the finish on those speaks.

legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
    I'm waiting on pictures but he had the side panels made of COPPER! Should be sweet.

• OscarJrOscarJr Posts: 2
    As a new Legacy loudspeaker(s) owner, I must admit that the work here looks top notch. I have a brand new set of Legacy Calibres and now I'm wondering how much better they could sound, but then again, I wonder about the factory stuff being very very close to optimum anyways. Hmm.