Spikes - whose got em, which ones are best

Looking for spikes for my downfiring sub. I've got a set of the Meniscus stuff from the group buy years ago but I'd prefer to keep those for my RTA 11TL's....

So I'm looking for a decent set of spikes (with install hardware).... I'm aware of the Dayton stuff but dont know if there is better/cheaper stuff out there (realize those two words are NOT normally mutually exclusive)...

I want something that has spikes and also then feet things so I could use it on wood or carpet......

Suggestions appreciated....
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Thinking about upgrading mine and found these.
    http://www.oregondv.com/spikes.htm
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited February 2015
    gce wrote: »

Those look nice, but decently similar in price to the Parts Express stuff....

Right now I'm looking at these 3 options from Parts Express:

Option 1: Dayton Audio DSS6-BK - most expensive, like the most I think

240-694_ALT_1.jpg

Option 2: Dayton Audio DSS2-BC - cheapest one, still decent dont know if #1 is worth the extra cost...

240-660_ALT_0.jpg

Option 3: Dayton Audio DSS4-BK - about the same as #1, but dont think I like the way the spike is built as much

240-717_ALT_0.jpg

Love some other suggestions....

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    edited February 2015
    Its been suggested I go with these babies instead........ I do like the cost for sure lol.....

Option 4: Dayton Audio DSS3

240-674_ALT_0.jpg

Other options:
    _________________________________________________________________________________________

Option 1: Dayton Audio DSS6-BK - most expensive, like the most I think

240-694_ALT_1.jpg

Option 2: Dayton Audio DSS2-BC - cheapest one, still decent dont know if #1 is worth the extra cost...

240-660_ALT_0.jpg

Option 3: Dayton Audio DSS4-BK - about the same as #1, but dont think I like the way the spike is built as much

240-717_ALT_0.jpg

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Adona multi-element spikes are great, but not cheap.

Anyway, you want a tall spike, 2" minimum, to raise the sub off the carpet otherwise it'll sound muffled.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Jesse, his spikes will be in addition to feet on the sub so clearance won't be an issue.

My concerns (we have been emailing back and forth so Dan knows this already) is being able to pierce and couple to the slab/sub floor.
    He has a normal thickness carpet with pad. Those more conical options won't pierce as well as the DSS3s I suggested.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • EndersShadow
    edited February 2015
    F1nut wrote: »
    Adona multi-element spikes are great, but not cheap.

Anyway, you want a tall spike, 2" minimum, to raise the sub off the carpet otherwise it'll sound muffled.

Yup, the legs right now are 4" tall and the spikes just add to that and are mainly to couple it to the concrete pad....
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Jesse, his spikes will be in addition to feet on the sub so clearance won't be an issue.

My concerns (we have been emailing back and forth so Dan knows this already) is being able to pierce and couple to the slab/sub floor.

He has a normal thickness carpet with pad. Those more conical options won't pierce as well as the DSS3s I suggested.

I went with what Ryan suggested... If I dont like them I will likely buy the Dayton Audio DSS6-BK and since they use the same insert, just swap em......

240-694_ALT_1.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    Keep the suggestions going though, I've got another couple projects in the works that will likely need spikes.....

Mostly source gear though so the DSS6's may be what I use, but I am open to other suggestions...

@F1nut, those spikes look quite nice. They are for sure an option for my other stuff.... I dont think I could use them with the Dayton inserts though so that kinda sucks...
  • F1nut
    Ok, looks like you've got it figured out.
    I dont think I could use them with the Dayton inserts though so that kinda sucks...

They have multiple thread options, 6mm is no problem.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• EndersShadow
    Ok, looks like you've got it figured out.
    I dont think I could use them with the Dayton inserts though so that kinda sucks...

They have multiple thread options, 6mm is no problem.

Cool... I may look into that more tonight when I get home. The site only pulls up on my phone (not at work) so its hard to read a bit lol....

• F1nut
    Here ya go....
    Multi-Element Cones:

These extra-large multi-element cones offer outstanding performance and are suitable for use with larger equipment. The lower portion is machined from solid brass while the upper portion is machined from Kevlar-filled composite.

The cone assembly measures 2 inches in diameter by 2 1/2 inches tall. The lower brass portion is available in black, black-chrome, chrome or gold. Please call Adona at 478-781-3400 to place an order.

$86.00 for a set of four cones with 6m threads.

$86.00 for a set of four cones with 1/4-20 threads.

$90.00 for a set of four cones with M8 or 5/16-18 threads.

$92.00 for a set of four cones with 3/8-16 threads.

President of Club Polk

• EndersShadow
    Here ya go....
    Multi-Element Cones:

These extra-large multi-element cones offer outstanding performance and are suitable for use with larger equipment. The lower portion is machined from solid brass while the upper portion is machined from Kevlar-filled composite.

The cone assembly measures 2 inches in diameter by 2 1/2 inches tall. The lower brass portion is available in black, black-chrome, chrome or gold. Please call Adona at 478-781-3400 to place an order.

$86.00 for a set of four cones with 6m threads.

$86.00 for a set of four cones with 1/4-20 threads.

$90.00 for a set of four cones with M8 or 5/16-18 threads.

$92.00 for a set of four cones with 3/8-16 threads.

Man those are a bit pricey, but I'm quite sure worth it.... maybe those will be when I've got money for an upgrade for em lol....

• smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    One thing I have found with spikes is thickness at the base of the spike matters for carpet. The beefy looking short/fat spikes, unless you have speakers that weigh a lot, will sit off of a tightly woven carpet. You really have to push them down forcefully and even then the speaker might lift up. I actually had to cut sections of the carpet in our house just for the spikes to hit the wood because the carpet was so tightly made. Thick carpet = tall, thin spikes that are sharp...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • EndersShadow
    smglbrth wrote: »
    One thing I have found with spikes is thickness at the base of the spike matters for carpet. The beefy looking short/fat spikes, unless you have speakers that weigh a lot, will sit off of a tightly woven carpet. You really have to push them down forcefully and even then the speaker might lift up. I actually had to cut sections of the carpet in our house just for the spikes to hit the wood because the carpet was so tightly made. Thick carpet = tall, thin spikes that are sharp...

You mean like these :wink:Dayton Audio DSS3

Dimensions: 9/16" diameter, 1-5/16" high

240-674_ALT_0.jpg
  • F1nut
    I actually had to cut sections of the carpet in our house just for the spikes to hit the wood because the carpet was so tightly made.

That is dedication, I applaud you sir.

President of Club Polk

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited February 2015
    Given that the sub weights about 130lbs, I'm sure it will "dig in" just fine. Only the high quality dense carpet and thickest of pads should be a problem.

It's great that your room has a concrete slab as wood can be tricky. The subfloor in my home used to resonate like crazy when I had my RT3000p's spiked. The vibrations were even more intense in the next room. I then isolated the speaker by making an isolation riser and that cut the vibration a great deal. The vibration effect was sort of nice on some movie scenes but not desired overall and quite annoying at times with all the shaking and buzzing. The SI sub did'nt help....its right next to the most resonate thing in the room, the fireplace screen.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • EndersShadow
    WLDock wrote: »
    Given that the sub weights about 130lbs, I'm sure it will "dig in" just fine. Only the high quality dense carpet and thickest of pads should be a problem.

It's great that your room has a concrete slab as wood can be tricky. The subfloor in my home used to resonate like crazy when I had my RT3000p's spiked. The vibrations were even more intense in the next room. I then isolated the speaker by making an isolation riser and that cut the vibration a great deal. The vibration effect was sort of nice on some movie scenes but not desired overall and quite annoying at times with all the shaking and buzzing. The SI sub did'nt help....its right next to the most resonate thing in the room, the fireplace screen.

Yeah, once I get it in place I will be running some Frequency sweeps as we have a LOT of picture frames on the walls that vibrate a bit already... want to track down which ones are and put some Armacell or foam of some sort on them so they dont make as much noise.....
  • gce
    This would probable be a good choice for going through carpet. You still having the mass of a big spike for support on a subwoofer or large speaker but a thinner point to go through stubborn carpet.

4iktbzznhkrm.jpg

Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481

I have bought from these folk's. Dan they are pretty much the same except you get more thread options with oregondv than Parts Express so it will come down to shipping price.

• EndersShadow
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I have bought from these folk's. Dan they are pretty much the same except you get more thread options with oregondv than Parts Express so it will come down to shipping price.

Gotcha. Since these are NOT going in existing holes the thread options didnt really equate that much.

• gce

Just ordered a set from these guys. The price was right, so when I get them I'll see how the quality is.

Anaheim Hills CA,

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481

Gotcha. Since these are NOT going in existing holes the thread options didnt really equate that much.

it does when you go to find a metric thread that few carry in any quantity. That is why I always opt for the American thread. A few years back only fastenall carried those M threads in any length and I can go get 1/4-20 threaded rod to make it work anywhere.

• EndersShadow
    Gotcha.... I'm dumb on measuring and math lol...
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530

Only on that? #trolled

I am excited to see photos of the finished overall product.
  • EndersShadow
    edited February 2015
    codyc1ark wrote: »

Only on that? #trolled

I am excited to see photos of the finished overall product.

I never said only....

But at least I didnt move to a different state before selling my house next to the crack dealers #dontdishifyoucanttake

PS all meant in good fun....

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • specd_out
    specd_out Posts: 505
    Ive been using the Dayton ones for a while. I have the 2" ones on my a5's and the 1" or 1.5" cant remember which under my turntable and my center channel. They still look like new and have been stable.
    HT Rig Samsung 64F8500 |Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD|Pioneer Elite VSX-32| Two Carver TFM-15cb Bridged for mains|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15 Heights|Polk Audio FXia6 Surround|DIY 8cuft Dayton Ultimax 15" powered with a Crown XLS1000
    2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1BillD Mod|Carver M1.0t MkII Opt2|Pro-ject RM 1.3|SpeedBox S|AQ King Cobras|AQ Rocket88|
    ISF Level 2 Certified Calibrator
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited April 2015
    I've got some of these Salamander spikes. Heavy weight spikes!

39df9ec9-0a5a-0988-ebc9-516ba7db48f4
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *