How good are the SDA-2B Studios

Options
So just how good are the SDA-2B Studio Speakers?
I have the opportunity to get a pair of these in a trade and wanted to get some opinions on them.
These are 100% original. Can I assume that they would benefit from a crossover rebuild?
Any other upgrades recommended?
Also, it sounds like they are difficult to drive, do I need a special amplifier?

What is a fair price for these?

Thanks
Keith

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,921
    Options
    They are easy to drive, sound good stock, sound great modified.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• KLapinas
    KLapinas Posts: 608
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    They are easy to drive, sound good stock, sound great modified.

So no special amplifier needed?
    What is recommended power for these?

• KLapinas
    Options
    Does anyone have the specs for these?
    Or better, does anyone have the original brochure for these that they could share?
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,058
    Options
    I have some of these and love them. Just make sure your amplifier is "common ground" design. I will try to find the specs...
  • KLapinas
    Options
    I have some of these and love them. Just make sure your amplifier is "common ground" design. I will try to find the specs...

Would I have any issues with any of these:
    NAD C356BEE, Aragon 4004 mkII, Onkyo Integra TX-108 or Anthem Integrated 2

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    Options
    KLapinas wrote: »

I think you will be fine with all except the Aragon. I believe it is a true dual mono design.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • KLapinas
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »

I think you will be fine with all except the Aragon. I believe it is a true dual mono design.

That is my luck, that is the amplifier that I would love to use for them.
    How about a Carver M-400A cube amp?
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    Options
    Congrats! Slap a decent tube amp on them and you may never look back, or forward for that matter!

Enjoy!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • KLapinas
    Options
    Can anyone tell me what they are worth?
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I sold mine for $225 and $250.

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »

That is my luck, that is the amplifier that I would love to use for them.

I believe the m400 inverts one of the outputs and relabels the rear speaker terminals, basically not common ground.
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • KLapinas
    Options
    Mystery wrote: »
    I sold mine for $225 and $250.

What condition? All original?

The reason I ask is that there is a good chance I am going to sell these when I get them unless they completely blow me away. I am trying to sell another pair of speakers to de-clutter and a friend of mine wants to trade for the ones that I am selling. So...
  • Mystery
    Options
    Yes all original in very good condition.
    Here are the pics of one pair:
    81912.attach
    81913.attach

• halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,580
    Options
    I know, off topic. But how does this model compare to 1B's?
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    I think the studios have a minor better look to the wood capped 2Bs for few reasons and I know I'm going to waver back and forth here.The rap about the 2Bs are those fabric side panels that after years pull away and seperate from the sides and must be glued and and when strapped back to the sides and will look ok after set. If the top caps and a veneer sides were to match then the 2bs would be a killer look wise and better than the Studios. If not done then the S4zyg4ob34rw6.jpg
    tudios do win out but since I favor real wood I'm into doing the full job like I believe Lazareth did. Sound wise I don't know and do not quote me I believe they have the same inards so it's cosmetics at work here. I use an Adcom gfa 555 and it pushes the 2Bs w/ ease and multiple sets if called upon.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • F1nut
    Options

A terrible amp if there ever was one.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mystery
    Options
    4zyg4ob34rw6.jpg
    That looks little bit crammed in for the SDA's. Hmm...

• Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have to agree, those puppies need some breathing room to allow optimal SDA enjoyment. Hey Keith, I was thinking one of the long time CP members here has a Aragon 8008BB amp he uses with some SDA's and he ended up just strapping the neg. speaker outputs on the amp. Might do a search here to verify this to make sure. I do know Aragon made some very fine power amps back in the day. The studio 2B's in the pics definitely look fairly clean, pin/blade correct?
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Options
    2B's can use the AI-1 if you want to use a non-common ground amp. Building a dreadnaught will add a fair bit to your cost though.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,580
    Options
    halo71 wrote: »

Anyone? Perhaps I should have started a new thread. lol

--Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    I liked my modded 2Bs, but very placement picky and a smaller sweet spot. Weren't great for double duty, but were ok for HT.
  • Conradicles
    Options
    Here is a link to the SDA Handbook:
    http://vr3mods.com/uploads/SDA_Handbook_2011_Rev2.pdf

Looks like the 2B's are 6 ohms and 89.7 dB efficient.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    edited December 2014
    Options
    lc3jmxy4e7hc.jpg

Paid $200 for my Studio 2Bs in mint condition it was a Sunday the seller had a few calls when I called him he said first one to show up with the money gets them, needless to say I jumped in the truck with the cash and grabbed them babies. The 2 pair of CRS+s were $125 for both pair how I got those at that price was quite the story, but since this thread is about 2Bs there you have it, but I will leave that story for another time.

$325 for 3 pairs of SDAs craigslist has been very very good to me now I just need to do the upgrades on at least the 2Bs and one pair of CRS+s which will cost me 3 or 4 times more than what I paid for the 3 pair. I got the OEM stands for one pair of the CRS+s and they cost me more than the 2 pair of them. B)
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Conradicles
    Options
    Can I click "Like". Looks like dabomb.com.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    edited December 2014
    Options
    92vydcfkb6hl.jpg

Here they are in the initial setup, I since have added MIT Shotgun Speaker Cables an MIT Shotgun ICs to the mix. My retro 2 Channel Rig!
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,168
    edited December 2014
    Options

Anyone? Perhaps I should have started a new thread. lol

Had both, the 1B's with some lite mods were a lot fuller sounding. Twice the tweet, twice the drive??(also twice the price to mod) While some may not agree, the 1B's are a hands down improvement over the 2B's . It sure got me through a trial listening period and in some strange way I miss my 1B's a little.......just a little!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Mr. Bubbles
    Options
    IMO The 2B's are some of the best SDA's hands down, up, sideways, it doesn't matter. Much better tonal balance and better percieved distortion characterisitcs. (I am not sure how they actually measure as compared to other models). Aragon is a true dual mono amp and will not work unless you have the AI-1. If you are a Carver fan thats ok but i have tried several carvers on my various SDA's and did not enjoy any of them. I have heard them on HT rigs and they sound ok. Just my opinion.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    You guys are right that the 2Bs are shoe horned in. I have pulled them out and yes there was a noticeable difference. I only have a 1 bdrm and w/ the limitations of both room logistics and the fairly strict placement of the 2Bs this was the only option.Front facing and a 7/8 foot spred is 2/3rds of the equation. Side room w/ no angle or tow in/out either way. If the mw are placed on the same plane I always wondered why the side placement was also so important. Not arguing here I just don't understand why side clearance makes a difference.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • F1nut
    Options
    Do not pull SDA's into the room.

President of Club Polk

• leftwinger57
    Options
    I only did it once to see/or hear any difference. I thought so but not that dramatic even though I did say 'a noticeable difference'. If I'd pulled them out I'd have no living room left.