Window Tech Support Scam

Options
Just a heads up this scam is back with a vengeance really high pressure, In the last week or so I've gotten at least 10 calls from these jerks saying my computer is sending excessive error messages and that they need to access my computer (yea right like that's going to happen) to fix the problem.

Remember Microsoft Tech Support ain't free and NEVER cold calls anybody.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    just about anyone who calls is trying to scam me.
    I seldom pick up the phone.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    just about anyone who calls is trying to scam me.
    I seldom pick up the phone.

You and me both. While technology is good to most extents, it's also allowed the crooks access to a bigger numbers game, easier targets, and the possibility of bigger rewards. Bottomline is everyone wants access to your money, legally or illegally.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    Options
    Oh yeah ! When "Microsoft" calls me........... I give em an earful of violent profanity that kinda' stuns some of the callers, when asked why they partake in such a shameful, devious enterprise, most are speechless. I finish by saying "shame on your mother for raising such a rotten child" and then I disconnect the call. I'm hoping this behavior might eventually get me removed from their call/sucker lists. I used to just give em a blast from a Freon boat horn.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    If they're really annoying, I'll just leave the phone on, sitting next to me in the kitchen as I wash dishes, make dinner, etc. Yammer away all you want; the only thing you're going to hear is pots and pans clanging together, me cursing at my stove, etc. Funny how they're never on the line when I pick up 20 minutes later. :)
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    LOL!

These guys are fun!

They tell me that and I ask them "Which one?" They say "Huh?" I say "Which one? I have 7."

They start stammering and I say "Is it the main server?" They get all excited and say "YES! That's it! The main server!"

Then they say "Can you go to the Start menu and..." to which I interrupt and say "I'm looking for a start menu but I don't see it."

They start trying to walk me through it and I act like I don't know what I'm talking about. I get my IP address and have them ping me though. While they are trying to walk the "stupid user" through the steps in finding the Start menu, I'm running a traceroute on the ping they just hit me at.

I eventually get them to the point where they ask me what the name of the computer I'm using is. I tell them "I call it Bob." They say "No, the name on the front of the computer." I say "Oh, ok, lemme look." I bang the phone on the desk a couple times and pick it back up and say "Sorry, I dropped the phone. Ummm...my computer is from Sun Micro...Systems I think its says? Does that sound familiar?"

They usually just hang up at that point 'cause they realize that they've been trolled.

Fools.

Sometimes I can get them to give me all kinds of info if I tell them that I have to get it so I can open up the port in the firewall to them so they can have the access they need.

I'm such a jerk.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ^^^ I love that, you are a sick sob after my own heart. :smile:

If I'm in the mood I'll do the same thing when the bible thumpers come banging on my door. God it can be fun !!!

Rant warning

I am really starting to hate this auto censoring and other such b.s. going on here. Hey Polk or the powers that be 99.9999 % of us (for the most part) are older than three.

Please get you act together.

End rant

BTW: Who wrote the diary of Anne Frank ? I know do you and no cheating
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    Options
    Was it Grant's tomb that wrote that diary ?