My 1'st RDO 198 experience

Options
Well I'm not extremely picky when it comes to tweeters. I was so wrong. I have enjoyed my Polk adventure so far. I've listened/owned many & many of Polk speakers. Really enjoy the Peerless tweets. Well I decided when I got the RTA15tl's I was going to upgrade the tweets asap. Thanks for the push Sea
Randy/Maine

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    oskb95il7iyy.jpg
    3f9fj3ahcdyy.jpg
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    mhcql26mk8jx.jpg
    xv4ms0rdiqn2.jpg
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    Took left side out & listened to it for 2 mins. Big difference. Put other side in & put on a Dream Theater cd & was blown away. Well worth the $$$. I recommend these RDO's to anyone who thinks the sl's are great. They are but these are far more betterer :smile:
    Randy/Maine
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    I found the same thing, smoother yet crisper with better transients c/w the SL3000's.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Hard to beat a silk dome tweeter for smoothness and musicality.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's not a big deal, but the actual Polk part number is RD-0198.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I have them in my Monitor 10's now and I love them. Since Dave did a TL upgrade of my crossovers I was able to upgrade to them! I have heard things or at least in a way I never did before!

Rock On Randy!!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • boston1450
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks. After hearing these - Now I'm wanting to change out the CRS's. Do the 0194's VS sl2000 sound that much different too. I'd love to upgrade completely. But wallet says no & winter is coming $$$ up here
    Randy/Maine
  • westmassguy
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Thanks. After hearing these - Now I'm wanting to change out the CRS's. Do the 0194's VS sl2000 sound that much different too. I'd love to upgrade completely. But wallet says no & winter is coming $$$ up here
    Which generation CRS+s do you have?

Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • boston1450
    Options
    Not sure?? Will post pictures
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    f1ct5hb228vh.jpg
    swi1c87f4aga.jpg
    29swxkchbfzy.jpg
    Randy/Maine
  • westmassguy
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Those appear to be 4th generation, and can be "TL" modified, to use the RDO-198-1s. The RDO-194-1s are drop-ins. The interconnect should be pin/blade.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    I have them in my Monitor 10's now and I love them. Since Dave did a TL upgrade of my crossovers I was able to upgrade to them! I have heard things or at least in a way I never did before!

Rock On Randy!!
    With a few parts and a little work you could convert your M10s to SDAs. Well worth it. You would be surprised how great your 10s can sound.

• SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • boston1450
    Options
    Yes they are. Thanks for the info on series. I will say this. They have the bass to back up their size for sure. Seem to me if they are set about the same position as bigger SDA's let's say 6ft apart. To me they seem to fill the room very well
    Randy/Maine
  • westmassguy
    Options
    Yes they are. Thanks for the info on series. I will say this. They have the bass to back up their size for sure. Seem to me if they are set about the same position as bigger SDA's let's say 6ft apart. To me they seem to fill the room very well
    If you upgrade the sub-base drive inductor, the bass will be stronger and deeper

Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • boston1450
    Options
    Good to know. I may try pulling them away from back wall a tad bit & play around with that till I get the right spot.... I'm using 2 stands per speaker & it seems to be working out ok for now. The CRS's are hooked to the Marantz & it seems to me to be working ok. I'm sure I could make them sing with more power. But for normal listening on vinyl they seem to be working quite well.
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    I just pulled them out 3 inches. I will see if that helps. I have the bass down on the receiver to 2nd notch. Any higher it's overwhelming
    Randy/Maine
  • westmassguy
    Options
    I just pulled them out 3 inches. I will see if that helps. I have the bass down on the receiver to 2nd notch. Any higher it's overwhelming
    Must be room interaction, combined with weak caps. The CRS+ are well balanced, and have plenty of bass, but the quality improves dramatically with crossover rebuild, and new sub-bass inductors.

Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • boston1450
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Pulled them out earlier & it made a difference. Room is terrible. They are a little too close together at around 3.5 feet. We are re-doing upstairs & it has drained us $$$ wise. Little at a time. The upgrades will be happening eventually. I'm right where I want to be as far as buying gear. Matter of fact I've downsized quite a bit lately on gear. Did some upgrades on CD player & tweets that were gonna happen anyways73crfaw0bz38.jpg
    faw0juw5g2rd.jpg
    The RT-909 goes on bottom & should be home this week-3 month rehab
    Randy/Maine
  • westmassguy
    Options
    Very nice, but a bit too close as you say.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • boston1450
    Options
    Yes. There is a door that opens on the left side & as you can see the right side is 12in from wall. This is only temporary. Wife isn't happy they are in dining room & I'm not putting gear in cold barn/garage temporarily. Very happy with the CRS's. Even more so than the 7's
    Randy/Maine
  • RandyWilliamson
    Options
    TennMan wrote: »

Rock On Randy!!
    With a few parts and a little work you could convert your M10s to SDAs. Well worth it. You would be surprised how great your 10s can sound.

Tenn Man do tell...I am def interested.
    Cool stuff: Adcom GFA-555, GFP-710, Oppo BDP-83, Monitor 10's w/RDO198s, rebuilt and modded XO: Sonicap/Mundorf topside, Daytons Low.
    Benq W5000

"Leaning back like a maxwell tape commercial listening to pure polk bliss"
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited October 2014
    Options

Rock On Randy!!

you got my interest Ronnie! but I think my 10 kick serious buii right now B)

you got me very curious thats for sure :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • TennMan
    Options
    There is an entire thread I started 2-3 years ago that discusses me putting SDA crossovers from CRS+ speakers in monitor 10 cabinets. Some people said I was making a mistake but it turned out really well. The good part is you don't have to modify any wires or butcher the cabinets. It is easy to put the monitor 10s back to stock configuration anytime you want. With this new and improved forum I'm not able to find that thread. I preferred the sound of the SDA 10s over my CRS+ that I still have. More bass with the front firing passive radiators in my opinion. I put the monitor 10s back to stock and sold them when I got my 2Bs. I don't have the room for a lot of extra speakers.

• SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    Thanks for the push Sea

I think Sean Connery (as Bond, James Bond) said that in every 007 movie he was in! B)

• RandyWilliamson
    Options
    There is an entire thread I started 2-3 years ago that discusses me putting SDA crossovers from CRS+ speakers in monitor 10 cabinets. Some people said I was making a mistake but it turned out really well. The good part is you don't have to modify any wires or butcher the cabinets. It is easy to put the monitor 10s back to stock configuration anytime you want. With this new and improved forum I'm not able to find that thread. I preferred the sound of the SDA 10s over my CRS+ that I still have. More bass with the front firing passive radiators in my opinion. I put the monitor 10s back to stock and sold them when I got my 2Bs. I don't have the room for a lot of extra speakers.

Cool im gonna try a search....would you say they imaged better? your 2b's are same as the crs+ or they are 2 different sets? trying to learn more about sda...while the other side of my brain panics about monitor 10 seperation anxiety...rightfully so I says.
    Cool stuff: Adcom GFA-555, GFP-710, Oppo BDP-83, Monitor 10's w/RDO198s, rebuilt and modded XO: Sonicap/Mundorf topside, Daytons Low.
    Benq W5000

"Leaning back like a maxwell tape commercial listening to pure polk bliss"
  • TennMan
    Options
    I don't think they imaged better than the CRS+. CRS+ shine in the imagine department. They were on par with the 2Bs in that respect. As well as getting the SDA effect when you modify the 10s, I feel you get deeper and more defined bass compared to the CRS+ or the stock 10Bs. The bass of the 10s has more punch in IMHO. I wish I still had my 10s so I could try my 2BTL modded parts on them. My 2Bs have Sonicaps in the crossovers, Erse inductors and RDO-198 tweeters. All will work in the monitor 10 cabinets.
    your 2b's are same as the crs+ or they are 2 different sets?
    I have a set of CRS+ speakers that are in storage in the closet and I have a pair of 2Bs with the TL upgrade that I listen to all the time. The 2Bs are a much larger speaker than the CRS+. For comparison I have posted a my 2Bs in my living room and my CRS+ before I packed them away.

q0jnp4un66fc.jpg

jormudbhxez1.jpg

• Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    Options
    73crfaw0bz38.jpg
    faw0juw5g2rd.jpg
    The RT-909 goes on bottom & should be home this week-3 month rehab

I have the same rack but really afraid to put anything heavy on those thin glass shelves.
    Looks like they hold fine...

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • boston1450
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ^^^^ i hear you there. The items you see are light & it did in a pinch & it was a 10.00 rack :smile:
    Randy/Maine
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    Options
    ^^^^ i hear you there. The items you see are light & it did in a pinch & it was a 10.00 rack :smile:

I overpaid then at $21. :blush:

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.