Surround Speaker Options

Options
Hey ya'll!
It's been a while since I posted, but my next project is installing an HT in our new house! The HT will be going in the log cabin on the back of the property, where there will be no disturbing any sleeping kiddos. The cabin is a solid log construction from 1964, so I'll have to do a little fancy work running the 5.1 wiring through the crawl space, but it's a good space for it. The TV will go above the fireplace as we won't be using it, with my Jamo D7LCR on L/R duty to each side slightly off-set. I'll figure out the center after I get the TV mounted and know my clearance, but my real question is the rear speakers. I was thinking about building a set of rear surrounds since there is not much room above the windows, and the Jamos use nice Vifa drivers which can easy be matched with off the shelf units.

I could build a little two-way that tucks above the window, but I'd also be interested in building a bipole speaker for the same space, if I could reasonable design and test one; maybe even use full range drivers? Since I'll only be running 5.1 in the room, I think that the additional sound created by a bipole design should fill the rear nicely.

Thoughts, comments; thanks!

j4cyh8jyur2b.jpg

The old test set-up:

89251.jpg

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    My comment is mostly.... DANGGG, that is NICE!!!!!!!!!!!

Followed by have fun treating that room. All that wood is gonna cause some slap clap issues, but I have faith you've realized that and will get it figured out....

Also perhaps look at going 7.1 with bipole's for side surrounds and standard speakers above the windows. You've got a fairly wide space so I dont know if your going to be able to get side surrounds to work, but it was a thought.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    Options
    Thanks! The best thing about the cabin is the cedar smell. It does have a tiny bedroom, a few closets, 3/4 bath, and a kitchenette with full fridge.

The space it too wide for reasonable side speakers, so that's why I'm sticking to 5.1 which should be great.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited October 2014
    Options
    What a a nice space you have there! What about mounting the rears on the back sloping ceiling aimed at the couch?

...and to derail the tread, that room is for sure extremely "live." How cool would it be to do something sweet with ceiling deadening, acoustic panels, diffusers, dropped panels, etc?

Sound_Control_CIA_374_DJFs.jpg
    classroomclouds2.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1364418670561
    acoustic-diffusers-22390-2925085.jpg
    Acoustic%20Diffusion.jpg
    1-Track-Recording-Studio-acoustic-diffusers-floating-floor-acoustic-ceiling.jpg
    871777368_801.jpg
    Acoustic_Panel_Resort.jpg
    LR1.jpg
    cloud.jpg

Sorry! :) But it seems like it would be a cool project.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    That's one gorgeous room! I know it's a hassle snaking and concealing wires in an existing space, but I would consider a 6.1 or 7.1 system, with bi-pole/di-pole for surrounds and rears. That's a lot of space to fill, and personally I despise direct radiators, way to easy to localize.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • recoveryone
    Options
    I would agree with a 6.1 setup for the purpose of covering the wide rear window. the width of the room (IMHO) would cause bipolar speakers to get lost and add odd (delays) sounds reflecting off the side walls. 6.1 with a middle center will help keep the sweet spot local using direct radiators for all the rears. Now if you are/will be sitting off axis of the sweet spot you will lose that enveloped feeling.

In the end its more of a preference, so try both and see what you like.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • zingo
    Options
    I actually hadn't considered 6.1 with all direct radiators, but that would probably work well with three speakers above that window. I'll have to see if my pre/pro can do 6.1, but I think there's a option for that in TrueHD?
  • recoveryone
    Options
    That is dependent (I think) on your AVR, as it should decode the TrueHD or DTS Master to what your setup supports.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • rtart
    rtart Posts: 817
    Options
    Might consider mounting side speakers on stands at ends of sofa. With the room configuration and acoustics, you may find this to be a good option. Pick up a pair of FX 30 or 50's or similar and give it a try......very easy to change if you don't like it.

You may also want to go to the Dolby labs website and look around for advice on speaker placement. BTW, direct radiators are what modern surround formats were designed around....bipole/dipole speakers, etc. are a way to add a diffuse sound to a room by using side surrounds, but direct radiators are the standard when mixed. That said, a pair of dipole radiators mounted at ends of the sofa at ear level might give you a sound you like, and help with the room issues you have.
    My 7.4.4 DIY 4k Home Theater:
    Polk LSiM 707 L-C-R, LSiM702 side surrounds, LSiM 705 rears
    Polk RC-80i x 4 In Ceiling Atmos speakers
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Denon X3700H
    Emotiva XPA11 Gen 3
    XBox One X 4k & BD and streaming
    Panasonic UB-420 4k player
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    Oppo BD-103D for hirez audio
    Technics SL-D2 TT, Grado Gold Cartridge
    JVC DLA-RS2000/NX7 projector
    Silver Ticket 120" acoustically transparent screen
    Berkline 090 electric recliners with Aura Bass Shakers
  • zingo
    Options
    My Sherbourn PT-7020C4 pre/pro can do a single rear speaker in addition to the rear surrounds, so that seems like a good option. With three direct speakers spread to the front and the back, there should be a very nice sound field to fill the seating area.

Anyone ever use full range surround speakers? I'm tempted to get a few full range Vifa drivers and build the surround speakers.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    rtart wrote: »
    BTW, direct radiators are what modern surround formats were designed around....bipole/dipole speakers, etc. are a way to add a diffuse sound to a room by using side surrounds, but direct radiators are the standard when mixed. That said, a pair of dipole radiators mounted at ends of the sofa at ear level might give you a sound you like, and help with the room issues you have.
    I agree, however surrounds tracks are mixed for large theaters, with multiple side and rear speakers. A modest, even large home theater is a different animal. I originally had direct radiators in 7.1, and could easily locate the sources. That's why I switched to custom Bi-Poles. Every room is different, and you need to experiment and find out what sounds best to YOU. In the end, that's all that matters.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • zingo
    Options
    Since I'm not sure how well I could mount and conceal the wiring for side speakers, has anyone ever tried four rear speakers for 7.1? Four rear speakers spread over 10ft?
  • zingo
    Options
    I just picked up a 5.1 set of Focal Sib/Cub speakers from CL for a very nice price, and he included a bonus H/K HDMI 5.1 receiver. These speakers obviously don't match my current stereo Jamo THX speakers, but they were too good a deal to pass up, and should sound great.
  • recoveryone
    Options
    For the pic you posted (IMHO) the room dimension are too far apart from the listening position. Using a 6.1 you will allow you to create a sweet spot.

The only way a 7.1 could work would be placing the side surrounds on stands in the middle of the floor in the approximate place and distance to still create that sweet spot.
  • zingo
    Options
    I think you are right as the room is fairly long. I'll try some configuration without side speakers and see how it sounds.

Thanks ya'll!