Money well spent

Options
I have been breaking in my 2.3tl's for about a week now and couldn't be happier.Thanks to David(westmassguy) for all the guidance and fine work on the crossover rebuild and the new interconnect cable.I installed blackhole5,hurricane nuts,sealed the cabinets with loctite power grab and dynamatted all the drivers and passives.The rdo 198's were installed before the rebuild and they really are what got me going on the rebuild.Thanks to all the information on this forum to make people like me want to go down this journey and I feel I am just beginning.Here are a couple of pics of what was done.I hope the pics don't come out to big.

5gkv8egxqcex.jpgwilj7l9sw15z.jpg
vm5583h6r1nf.jpg
zrvx62flvwgy.jpg
yy71sjxgjdtt.jpg

2 Channel
Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
Musical Fidelity M6Si
North Star Intenso Dac
Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
Oppo 103
Pangea PC
Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Cool man, glad your digging them. That Westmassguy is a pretty solid dude....I'm assuming he's a dude anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    Looks familiar. Congrats on all the upgrades. They do make a massive improvement.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • markamerica
    Options
    Beautiful! If they sound as good as the parts look,(and I'm sure they do) you've got some awesome speakers there. Nice work!
    SDA SRS, SDA SRS1.2TL, SDA-1C,SDA 2B, Soundcraftsmen Amplification (A5002s, MA5002s, MA5002As)
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Thanks,they are really sounding better everyday,I've had them on for about 190hrs straight and the sound just keeps getting better.I put on Eva Cassidy Live at Blues Alley every day and am starting to hear new things everyday it seems,wider sound stage and the location of the instruments.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • markamerica
    Options
    dkfreebird,

That's one of the pleasant things after these kinds of mods, isn't it? Details begin to appear that you did not notice before. Congrats on all counts!
    SDA SRS, SDA SRS1.2TL, SDA-1C,SDA 2B, Soundcraftsmen Amplification (A5002s, MA5002s, MA5002As)
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    Yes it is,I bought new interconnects to try Audioquest Evergreens and am letting them all burn it at once.I've already been looking at other uogrades to to try and get the besf out of them.I sold a set of Klipsch Heresey's the other day and the guy asked why I was selling them,I took him in the other room and let him listen to the 2.3's and he said you might not want to let me listen to these while your trying to sell me the hersey's.He said he had never seen or heard the polk's before and was impressed.:)
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Wow! Dave does nice work! and your speakers look awesome! I am so jealous but seriously happy for ya!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    Nice, those x-over boards are crowded with those big caps,nice job, remember 3 feet+ from the side walls
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    Congratulations!

You've got a lot of listening pleasure ahead of you!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited September 2014
    Options
    They look great, I am sure they sound great also.
    It seems a few prefer these over the big boys.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    I don't have them in the room they will be in yet,they will be in my 15x30 game room when they are set up for good.We just have some rearranging to do after they are broken in.I just listened to No Doubt Rock Steady was startled a few time of some of the effects I never heard in that recording.I can't wait till they are set up properly
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• westmassguy
    Options
    dkfreebird wrote: »
    I have been breaking in my 2.3tl's for about a week now and couldn't be happier.Thanks to David(westmassguy) for all the guidance and fine work on the crossover rebuild and the new interconnect cable.I installed blackhole5,hurricane nuts,sealed the cabinets with loctite power grab and dynamatted all the drivers and passives.The rdo 198's were installed before the rebuild and they really are what got me going on the rebuild.Thanks to all the information on this forum to make people like me want to go down this journey and I feel I am just beginning.Here are a couple of pics of what was done.I hope the pics don't come out to big.
    Was my pleasure Dennis. Now pour yourself an adult beverage and enjoy your handiwork
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • westmassguy
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Cool man, glad your digging them. That Westmassguy is a pretty solid dude....I'm assuming he's a dude anyway.
    Well he's not a dudette.
    Unfortunately, he's getting more "solid" as the years pass
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    Excellent choice of SDA's to rebuild!

Your first couple of pictures look very similar
    IMG_39821024x6832_zpsf7440768.jpg

IMG_41171024x683_zpsbdc11fa4.jpg

Enjoy your new 2.3TL's, they are special!
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    That looks familiar :) I think the binding posts will be my next upgrade.I ran out of funds to have them done when the crossovers were done but I moved some speakers so I'm looking to do them next.I'm pretty sure I can do them myself.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• Mike Reeter
    Options
    That looks familiar :) I think the binding posts will be my next upgrade.I ran out of funds to have them done when the crossovers were done but I moved some speakers so I'm looking to do them next.I'm pretty sure I can do them myself.

While you're at it, upgrade your jumper wires also, another little tweak that makes a positive difference.

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Excellent! Glad you are enjoying your modded 2.3TL's. Damn fine speakers!
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options

While you're at it, upgrade your jumper wires also, another little tweak that makes a positive difference.

Don't forget about the SDA inductors, the 16 mH ones. Makes a huge difference in the quantity and quality of bass. Several options you have from economical to wallet draining.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    I'm leaning that way,inductors,binding post and jumpers.I can tell this never ends.This is a bottomless hole. :)
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• westmassguy
    Options
    We discussed all that if you recall
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    I remember David,just didn't have the funds at the time.Moved some speakers I had and now have a little to play with.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• westmassguy
    Options
    No worries. Took me a year and a half to upgrade my 2As, and still not finished
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    Well finally got the speakers set up where they are going to be and need a little input on my placement.I was wondering if the columns in between the speakers were a problem?The speakers are about 5.6 feet apart and about 33" away from the walls.The sound is amazing once I got them out of the small room I had them in now it is time to tweak themq8spm9kpsbzh.jpg

2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You absolutely need even more room on both sides of them (a minimum of 3 feet (is recommended). Also, Typically, about 6 to 8 inches I find best for placement from the rear walls. Also, the "columns" will present soundstage problems since it looks as though the 2.3TL's are behind them. It is dificult to tell from the picture however. I definately recommend placing them in front of the "columns", although the negative is that it will place the 2.3TL's further away from the wall. It's a trade-off of reducing the sound quality. The further you place them from the rear wall, the less bass response you will hear. Also, having the 2.3TL's that colse to the "columns" will "box them in" and reduce imaging and soundstage and imaging. I hope this helps you out sir.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    Thanks for the info,the speakers are 1" in front of the supports and 5" from the back wall,But the shelves for the gear is in front of them.I guess that is where I will start.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Ideally you want nothing "solid" between the SDA's, the enclosure will screw up the imaging. You can stick your head in between a pair of SDA's, almost to the back wall, and hear music.

Open style equipment racks are not as restrictive, as sound can pass through the rack, but the solid enclosures are not optimum. I also don't like a monitor between the SDA's, the sound reflects off of the glass and skews the imaging.

If there was ever a down side to SDA's, they are "picky" about placement and room size to perform their very best.

I'd pull yours out away from the back wall and try to get the leading edge of the speaker in front of the enclosure even more, hopefully without losing your Bass output.
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    I guess when I read the setup guide I didn't realize that nothing could be in between them.I thought the important part was the distance apart and the space from the sidewalls.Thanks for the input
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    I've had my 2ATLs flanking my DLP for a couple years, with no problems. The front edge of the SDA should stick out past the wood cabinet. Mine are also about 11" off the back wall
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Please don't read into my comments that you can't have anything between your SDA's, it's just not a "perfect" scenario, where they will sound their best.

I think most of us "live without" the perfect room, set-up, and so forth. Making the best out of what you have to work with, that is the key.

Until your new 2.3's are completely run in and all the new components are seasoned, the output is still changing every day.

Keep tweaking your placement and you'll hit the sweetest spot you can find with your room and surroundings.

When you do find that place, sit down and enjoy!
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I think most of us "live without" the perfect room, set-up, and so forth. Making the best out of what you have to work with, that is the key.

Amen to that! I have no alternative to placing my SDA SRSs on opposite sides of built in cabinetry that is nine feet wide.

The sound is great, but I have a hunch that if I ripped out the cabinetry and let the SDAs stand alone, I'd smile even more!

We just have to play the hand we're dealt -- or take drastic steps when the first opportunity arises! >:)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.