Did I blow my PSW110 sub?

Options
kmmccorm
kmmccorm Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in Troubleshooting
Out of the blue (no blasting music or other sudden such events) my PSW110 started buzzing when playing. It sounds like the woofer is blown but I have no idea if it's an electronic buzz or what. I have this wired via RCA from the sub output on my Sony receiver to the R/LFE IN port on the sub.

Any thoughts? Would my only option be to ship this back to Polk for repairs? Or an excuse to upgrade? :)

The video is a little quiet but you can clearly hear the buzzing. It is not rattling from the Sonos sitting on top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWAg1fYmDcw

Comments

• ken brydson
    Options
    How old is it? Still under warranty?
  • kmmccorm
    Options
    Unfortunately, just out of warranty. 3 years on a sub and I bought it in 2011. Given shipping and repair costs I'm guessing this is landfill now.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello,
    Actually the woofer has a five year warranty and the bass amplifier comes with a three year warranty. So, I would suggest contacting Polk CS at 1-800-377-7655 or via email to polkcs@polkaudio.com. They'll be back on Monday.
    Regards, Ken
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Couple things. Does it buzz all the time or only when music is playing? If you unplug the RCA cable from the back of the sub, does it still buzz? Just trying to help see if you have a ground loop hum (any recent change in your cable TV?) or if maybe one of the power caps in the sub amp has given out on you. If you haven't over-driven the sub, then it is probably isn't the driver.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • kmmccorm
    Options
    That's interesting that you mention cable TV, a number of months ago we did switch from DirecTV to Comcast and the main coax line along with the split to the cable modem is right near the sub (out of pure necessity). I didn't notice the buzz while music was playing until very recently but had heard a bit of electronic noise without music previously.

I just unplugged the sub and moved it clear across my apartment to another outlet. When I first plugged it in and it clicked on it buzzed for a few seconds and now it has been sitting silently for 10 minutes or so. I'll have to try to get a setup to run some music through it away from the coax but I guess it's a possibility. Thanks!
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    You may need a ground loop isolator. The JENSEN ISO-MAX VRD-1FF seems to be the most popular and I used it with great success when I had cable. Doesn't work with Satellite.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050