Record Cleaning Machines - DIY or Purchase - Who uses one?

Options
2»

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Options
    The VPI, Nitty Gritty and Spin Clean will all clean your records. Some involve more hand work and time. The machine is just part of the process. Chemicals, rinse, cleaning brush, anti static sleeve, drying cloths, micro fibre brushes, etc. are all part of the system. Vinyl is a real pain LOL! But, I'm hooked!

Ultrasonic cleaning is coming in a big way. DIY and consumer ready units are going become more affordable. The market is ripe and ultrasound is a step up in cleaning quality.
    Carl

• doctor r
    Options
    I did buy a VPI 16.5 used many years ago. I go a little over board and use the Audio Intelligence three step (enzyme, cleaner, pure water) with three different brushes and three different wands. This is only when I first acquire the albums. Afterward a swipe with the anti static brush is all they need. The enzyme step, once I started using it, made the most difference with background noise and pops. Many albums I had previously cleaned were redone with enzyme and greatly improved. The torque of the RCM vs a converted TT is really the only benefit comparing the two. I agree with schwarcw that ultrasonic is going to be the direction of the future.
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ...so in the mean time I recommend going digital and sell your LPs to a fellow Polk member. :D
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    ...so in the mean time I recommend going digital and sell your LPs to a fellow Polk member. :D

Ha!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Obsession18
    Options
    Get a KAB EV-1 and a $30 shop vac from sears and you will be good to go:

https://www.kabusa.com/ev1.htm

Total package cost $200 and it is as effective as any vac cleaning machine on the market.
    2-Channel System
    Analog: VPI Traveler TT, Audio Technica 150MLX, Pro-Ject Tube Box DS
    CD Player: Jolida JD-100 Preamp: Cambridge 840E Amp: Odyssey Kismet Stereo
    Spkrs: Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Systems
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    Options
    The VPI 16.5 rocks.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options

Total package cost $200 and it is as effective as any vac cleaning machine on the market.

So with this combo you scrub on the top? and then turn it over to vacuum it?

with the VPI 16.5 you scrub and vacuum from the same side and it turns the record for you with enough power to deep scrub as you hand controls the brush pressure since its in your hand. easy as pie. piece of cake
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Obsession18
    Options
    voltz wrote: »

So with this combo you scrub on the top? and then turn it over to vacuum it?

with the VPI 16.5 you scrub and vacuum from the same side and it turns the record for you with enough power to deep scrub as you hand controls the brush pressure since its in your hand. easy as pie. piece of cake

Yes, scrub on top, flip to vac. One of the things that sold me on this unit was the external vac, if you have a failure - $30 for another small shop vac and your back in business. Also, not as loud with the vac on the floor, I checked out a VPI 16.5 and man is that thing LOUD.
    2-Channel System
    Analog: VPI Traveler TT, Audio Technica 150MLX, Pro-Ject Tube Box DS
    CD Player: Jolida JD-100 Preamp: Cambridge 840E Amp: Odyssey Kismet Stereo
    Spkrs: Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Systems
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »

That is amazing. No way I could afford one of those new ultrasonic cleaners - but honestly, with that heated tank from Amazon, the machine is pretty simple with a low speed rotary after that. Very tempting indeed. I may have to give that a shot.

Can always make a DIY vacuum machine for drying purposes as a final step as well.

VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• doctorcilantro
    Options
    I picked up one of the 60kHz Ultrasonics, USA-made, for less than $400.
    For Sale 2019:
    Tortuga Audio LDR passive preamp
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes
    iFi iDSD DAC, .5m UBS, iFI Gemini cable, Oyaide Tunami XLR 1.3M, Oyaide Tunami Speaker wire 1.5M, Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones, PS Audio P3 power center

• thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    Options

WHere?

Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited September 2014
    Options
    thsmith wrote: »

WHere?

Probably this one 6 Quart 60kHz VIBRATO Ultrasonic Cleaner. 375 + shipping....

https://www.tindie.com/products/VibratoLLC/6-quart-60khz-vibrato-ultrasonic-cleaner/

2014-07-03T00:54:25.281Z-VIBRATO%206Q60KFDCH%20working01.JPG.2560x2560_q85.jpg

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    anyone have any thoughts about the whole 60hz vs 40hz bubble size and cleaning in the groves debate? Opinions on if it's really a sizable difference (quality of clean-wise)?

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    anyone have any thoughts about the whole 60hz vs 40hz bubble size and cleaning in the groves debate? Opinions on if it's really a sizable difference (quality of clean-wise)?

Check this out.

http://www.zenith-ultrasonics.com/ultrasonic_frequency_selection.htm
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options

Did you build one of those cool rotisserie motor cleaners?
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    [/quote]
    Check this out.
    http://www.zenith-ultrasonics.com/ultrasonic_frequency_selection.htm[/quote]

Hmm - interesting. Why to I feel like that budget line I'm not going to cross is starting to move again. Seems like you could make a case for 40 or 60 - maybe 60 is the sweet spot but both seem effective in the DIY I have seen.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    Good reading in the morning here folks......anyone own the Oki Noki....I found a discounted demo version and it looks like replacement parts are easy to find. Honestly I am between this and the manual spin clean because I am so cheap.....so sway me either way!!
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    I use a kit I bought (out of canada, nick) 3dcanfab.com. fantastic deal about 115.00. Plus I built the plenty and it does a great job. Make my own cleaning solution (25% 99.999 isopropyl, 75% RODI water and a drop of triton x14 wetting agent).
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The pictures I've seen of the Okki noki looks like it works just like my VIP 16.5. and that would make it a good record cleaner in my books!

you just tighten down the record and add fluid and brush it as it spins then vacuum it off rinse & vac again! makes cleaning with these machine A Simple choir.

and you don't need a lot of fluid to clean , just a little bit of cleaner then distilled water to rinse is all that is needed.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    Options
    I use a VPI 16.5 also. It has worked great for me. Just follow the instructions given by Voltz in the post above.
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    I ended up with a Nitty Gritty MiniPro1, cleans, vacuums and scrubs both sides at the same time for a quicker turnaround. It's a good unit, and Nitty Gritty still does a great factory service for pretty reasonable pricing - I got it used off the 'bay and shipped it to NG to have it gone through, good as new now!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Options
    My NG MiniPro2 is a time saver - as mentioned by MrBuhl it cleans both sides at once. I typically hand scrub first using MoFi brush and Deep Cleaner, put LP on NG and vacuum, then add one-step cleaner from reservoir on NG (NG Pure solution), vacuum, sleeve the clean LP, sleeve the jacket. Avg. about 2 mins/LP
    [