Small bookshelf speakers that impressed you...

Options

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2014
    Options
    FastGame wrote: »
    Due to the low cost the Dennis Murphy modified Pioneer SP-BS22-LR can raise an eyebrow http://philharmonicaudio.com/folio-me/html/Phil%20Pages/AALS%20copy.html

What kind of mods did they do?

I replaced my second HT system in my basement with a 3.1 Pioneer set up. Two BS-SP22LR and the matching center, and a 12" Polk sub. Old Pioneer AVR (weakest link in the system). But it still sounds pretty good.

Has anyone here heard the Micca MB42Xs for 79.95 (I told you I was "cheap", even Andrew Jones says it's NO CHALLENGE to produce a great set of speakers if you have a big BUDGET--so I'd say any of you who are listing speakers over 10K aren't really doing anything, because those speakers BETTER BE GOOD or ELSE!).

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited April 2014
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    ...because those speakers BETTER BE GOOD or ELSE!).
    cnh
    or ELSE they screwed you badly... :lol:

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,647
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I once bought on a whim a set of closeout JBL HLS 610's 100.00 for a pair. Went home hooked them up and stood back astonished and the full weight of the sound coming from them. I went back and bought the last pair they had now down to 75.00. All in all I have 4 pairs of them now all used in my home theater or for spare parts from eBay.

Just wonderful little speakers I wish I had the room for a 7.1 of the big brother HLS 620 which isn't a bookie
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2014
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    It might not be hard to build a good sounding speaker with tons of money, but its also easy to build an awful sounding speaker with tons of money as well.

Probably all too true. And a shame. Right now I'm listening to the college FM on a pair of Monitor 5As and a JVC R-S33 40 watt receiver, and there's not much wanting for the purpose!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • FastGame
    FastGame Posts: 67
    edited April 2014
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    What kind of mods did they do?

He changed out the tweeter with a vifa and reworks the crossover. If I'm not mistaking...Dennis Murphy is the person who designed the salk song towers and I think he helps them with crossover design in other models.
    Samsung PN64F8500, Parasound 2100 pre amp, Parasound 2250 v.2 amp, Parasound Zdac, OPPO 103D, Monitor Audio Silver RX8, Dual SVS PB 2000
  • drummer86
    drummer86 Posts: 441
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I'd love to hear those modded Pioneers. They have all the looks of a true giant killer.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player
  • rromeo923
    rromeo923 Posts: 1,513
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I have a pair of these and they are very nice.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue53/clue.htm
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited April 2014
    Options
    rromeo923 wrote: »
    I have a pair of these and they are very nice.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue53/clue.htm
    Very nice review on the Clues speakers, looks like you have some excellent speakers! I noticed at the beginning of the article the price was $1500 a pair and at the end of the article is was listed as $500.00 a pair, did I miss something?
  • FastGame
    FastGame Posts: 67
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    Very nice review on the Clues speakers, looks like you have some excellent speakers! I noticed at the beginning of the article the price was $1500 a pair and at the end of the article is was listed as $500.00 a pair, did I miss something?

mistype, $,500.00 not $500.00 he forgot the 1
    Samsung PN64F8500, Parasound 2100 pre amp, Parasound 2250 v.2 amp, Parasound Zdac, OPPO 103D, Monitor Audio Silver RX8, Dual SVS PB 2000
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Thanks Fast, lol, I was hoping they had dropped the price on them to $500.00 a pair. I bet they sound fabulous.
  • aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Revel M22. Pretty much the cheapest speaker to be rated class A by stereophile. When you listen to them you sure do understand why.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • Mystery
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Today I grabbed two pairs of NHT super zero's.
    These tiny lightweight speakers sound really good.
    Very crisp and detailed highs and can listen on their own without a sub
    With a sub, makes me wonder if I can live without big speakers. :wink:

• Mystery
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Mystery wrote: »
    Today I grabbed two pairs of NHT super zero's.
    These tiny lightweight speakers sound really good.
    Very crisp and detailed highs and can listen on their own without a sub
    With a sub, makes me wonder if I can live without big speakers. :wink:

Want to share a picture of these NHT Super Zero.
    All four fit on top of one Boston A400. :smile:

DSC00327-NHT-super-zero.jpg

• Lan077
    Lan077 Posts: 31
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Energy RC10. Moderate sized bookshelf with real mid bass punch. Surprising sound stage for their size.

9_122906_full.jpg

Jamo c803. Occasionally on ebay for 300-400. Big bookie with big time bass and all around good at everything. The lsim 703s don't embarrass them, except maybe in cabinet quality/elegance.

9_1jamo_c803.jpg
  • bobivxx
    bobivxx Posts: 14
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I really love these little ****. All I know is they are S.A.P. Mondiale. I'd love to get some info (specs) on them if anybody knows (Thanks in advance!). I've had them for a few years; and I really doubt I'll ever get rid of them.

I really like the little Canton Karats too.
  • Tronman
    Tronman Posts: 72
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Polk audio RTIA1 Really impressed me - got 2 pairs of them!
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Tronman wrote: »
    Polk audio RTIA1 Really impressed me - got 2 pairs of them!

+1..

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • Codeman
    Codeman Posts: 14
    edited May 2014
    Options
    My Polk tsx-110's are pretty impressive sounding.. Especially when I got them brand new for $150
    Samsung 51 inch plasma
    Yamaha Aventage RX-A730
    Onkyo Skf-4800 towers
    Polk Tsx-150c center
    Polk Tsx-110b rears
    Twin Onkyo SKW-204's
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Looking at a set of M5JR series 2 tomorrow. Don't know much about those speakers but are supposed to be in very good shape.
    Time will tell..
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Tyler acoustics Taylos Ref Monitors,,, soundstage and and imaging like a ****.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,546
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I'm currently playing with a pair of HSU HB-1 MK2 bookshelf speakers.
    They're surprisingly impressive for their size/build, so far. At first I was a little put off and slightly disappointed, because they're much lighter than what I'm used to - I like heavy speakers; it's just a thing - and I thought this would be an indication of mediocre quality and performance. I thought they sounded muddy at first, but seemed to open up and perform rather quickly with some use.

I've tested them both in my primary and secondary systems.
    I found that I needed to coax a little bottom end out of them with tone adjustments if used without a sub, but take that with a grain, as I'm no expert, have only modest gear, and my sources are not full-res digital. I'm using an older Parasound controller and experimenting with different amps ranging from a 105wpc to 220wpc from B&K & Parasound.

I won't try to spout off with too much audiophile jargon here as I've not much experience, having just really started this past December/January, but from everything I've tested out so far, one thing that occurred to me is that they're nice and detailed without being bright, a characteristic I learned about the hard way with my first pair of "real" speakers in the RTi10. I heard some new things in some of my favorite music more times than to call it placebo/new gear hallucination. everyone says horns are bright, but I found the HB-1's to be much smoother than the tweeter in the RTi10. I know this is apples to oranges, but this note is simply for baseline comparison and horn commentary. As noted, they can also belt out a bit of bottom end - wall shaking, even, depending on the room - with some good clean power, placement, and a little coaxing by way of tone controls. I could use these in my secondary space without the sub, no problem, and I do, though I think HSU recommends they be paired with a sub and set to small. After settling into them a bit, they were also nice in my primary living space in 2ch mode, just relaxing to some tunes on the couch the first night I had them.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html
    HB-1-R-600.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Anything by Totem!
  • george daniel
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I am seriously thinking about Fritz rev 7,,any first hand experiences with them?
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited May 2014
    Options
    George where did the taylo's go? LOL
  • george daniel
    edited May 2014
    Options
    another polkie--cannot remember his screename,, nice guy though,,I certainly hope that he is enjoying them!
  • NJPOLKER
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Do some research find him and make him a offer he can't refuse LOL
  • george daniel
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Drew,, I'm ready to try something new,, and that digs a little deeper,,the fritz's have positive reviews,,and IIRC,, they have a 30 money back if not satisfied. I'm still researching the Fritz's,, I have a pair of Tyler 7U's with upgraded crossovers,, stay tuned b/c I will be putting up a pair of really nice monitors that are made in Atlanta in limited quantities with Dynaudio drivers and a French made supertweeter.
  • NJPOLKER
    edited May 2014
    Options
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Drew,, I'm ready to try something new,, and that digs a little deeper,,the fritz's have positive reviews.

George, My Fritz Carbon 7's had an abundance of bass.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • NJPOLKER
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Steve,
    Forgive me for asking but how can that be?