October 15 1958

Options
gimpod
gimpod Posts: 1,793
edited March 2014 in The Clubhouse
Hi all,

The reason I started this post/rant is because for most of the past year I been sick most of the time and have spent more time stuck in bed watching TV than I care to admit but it has given me more than enough time to question the quality and content of what has become the local and national news. I'm afraid Mr. Murrow's fears for TV and radio has come to pass, you my include the internet also. Unfortunately the so called facts of a story depends on the time of day and the source (i.e. ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, FOX, the internet, take your pick there all different). So I ask you who are we to believe ? So this leaves me to think were all in deep dodo and the "Fifth Estate" is truly dead.

Edward R. Murrow's 1958 Original "Wires and lights in a box" Speech Definitely worth a read, You may also Listen to the entire speech via streaming audio there too. It's just a hair over 37 minutes IMO well worth it.

Also a short followup in 2012 by Joe Flint a veteran entertainment industry journalist for The Los Angeles Times On anniversary of Ed Murrow speech, much still remains the same.

That is all, you may continue on your blissfully ignorant way. :wink::razz:
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
Post edited by gimpod on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Seems like these days every story is sensationalized, even stories that shouldn't even be a story. Good journalism is just about dead. Imho, the press was granted certain freedoms, protection from prosecution, in order to be the watchdog of/for the people. Now, for the most part they work in lock step with government, a form of state run media.

You can't take anything you hear or read at face value anymore although a lot of people still do. Unfortunately too many won't do their own homework to find the truth. Can't blame them really, you have to do that with just about everything that comes out these days. Every network has their own slant, for whatever reason.

....and that's just news channels, don't even get me started on regular programming and the garbage they put out. Seems like only cable can make a decent series these days. The power of media...to shape young mush minds....and for the most part, it works well.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I get a kick out of Motorweek, on PBS.
    They have never said anything really bad about any car they test.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Hey we do see eye to eye sometimes. :wink::razz:

But your right if they think it will make a buck (True or not, they can change it later just as long as there first) they'll print it, post it, broadcast it, even make a show (and I use that term loosely) out of it and that is one just of the problems with the so call news it's profit driven instead of truth driven.

I also agree with you on the so called quality of network TV shows. BTW if you read or listened to Murrow's speech did you noticed the part about 6 minutes of advertising man that would be nice most new shows run 40 minutes max if your lucky.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,915
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I stay away from the news as much as possible, I might try and catch the weather but no reason to do that anymore either, they never really know what it's going to be, I guess the nice looking weather lady's draw me in LOL!!

The news today is like watching a reality tv show, no substance what so ever..

Hey at least there's Glee on TV to watch!! LOL!!
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Money, advertising, Capital will buy YOU anything you wish people to believe, Right and Left. All TV journalism is nonsense, or at least most of it. Pandering to the faithful, again, on "both" sides. With one side being a bit "louder" than the other--which is the only difference I can see.

How many true talk shows of an "intellectual" interest can one find on 500 channels? lol

Journalism? Fair and balanced. That's journalistic nonsense. A free press that is not biased in a nation that has corporate monoliths and lobbyists with interests to defend, forget-about-it. And politicians who need millions to be re-elected and billions for a Presidential run. It's not rocket science boys and girls. Get RID of the MONEY! Ah, but that's NOT going to happen!

Hope you feel better Gimpod! It is rough!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited March 2014
    Options
    This is why I still get the newspaper. Unbiased? Nope.
    But far better than the spoon fed nonsense tv has to offer.
    Once you figure out a reporter's or editor's bias, it's pretty easy to
    read between the lines.
    Am I the only one that thinks having a field reporter standing in front of
    some building and read a script is a waste of time? Taking the time and money to have
    a guy stand in front of something doesn't do anything. If there's no interview, why bother?
    Evening news is barely watchable, and the morning news is a joke.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2014
    Options
    "Wweeell you can cool it you can heat it, cause baby I don't need it,
    Take your tv tube and eat it,
    With all that phony stuff on sports and all the unconfirmed reports,
    You know I watch that rotten box until my head begins to hurt,
    The way the newsmen say they get the dirt, before the guys on channel so and so can further their assert,
    That any show they'll interrupt to bring you news if it comes up,
    They say that, if the place blows up, they'll be the first to tell, cause they guys they got downtown are working hard and doing swell,
    and if anybody gets the news before it hits the street, they say that no one blabs it faster, their coverage can't be beat,
    and if another woman driver gets machine-gunned from her seat they'll send some joker with a Brownie and you'll see it all complete..."

"FZ" 1965 (years before "The Slime")
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2014
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Get RID of the MONEY! Ah, but that's NOT going to happen!
    cnh

Now that pal....we can agree on. In most anything you find wrong with the world, follow the money as they say. It's always about the money....always.

Those with it, want to keep it....want little in competition to take it away.
    Those without it, seek it...will do most anything to acquire it.

See the Yin and Yang there ? Those with money and power don't want anyone else to gain more....or enough to become a threat to their own wealth and power. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians so to speak. So you constantly have policy and legislation/regulation to keep those Indians from becoming Chiefs. Create an obstacle course making it hard if not impossible to pass.

Not a new thing, been around a very long time. Only it simply becomes more obvious as generations go by. Everything inter twines with everything....call it what you will, unintended consequences....an evil conspiracy...dumbed down....whatever. Truth is, society in general works on the sum total of many parts. You start twisting and turning, replacing, even compromising some of those parts, you change the sum total. Most would say you need to do that to some degree to change society for the better, but I'd argue about those unintended consequences that have a reverse effect. Which doesn't always equate to "better", and in fact may make it worse or create a new set of problems.

I think journalism is a reflection of the society of which we live....no? Today....journalism reflects an anything goes attitude, a "enquire" magazine outlook that sells sensationalism, hype, while trying to form opinions of the masses. Simply reporting facts....who wants that right ? Plus...why change it, been working beautifully so far.

500 cable channels....all polarized to some extent. Breeding that "us" against "them" anger and resentment. Only those definitions of the US and the THEM keep changing. Always something or someone to rally against, another crisis, another miscarry of justice. More hype to fuel the legislative pens which do little to solve problems and more to redistribute wealth from the poor and middle class to those who already have wealth.

Just don't get why we constantly need rapid fire legislation/regulations, if not for the sole purpose of stealing wealth from one party and giving it to another.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Just one man's opinion......................

Frank Zappa's

I'm The Slime Coming Out Of Your TV Set

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHHvqncASrI