Pioneer VSX-1121 with UE22 error

Options
wonderedunder
wonderedunder Posts: 7
edited June 2014 in Electronics
Hey everybody! First post here. I'm relative noob when it comes to sound stuff and wanted to get the expert's opinions!

I bought my sound setup a little under two years ago (klipsh reference speakers and klipsch subs) and am using the vsx-1121 to power it. Yesterday, the sound stopped playing (its hooked up to my computer), so i go to check the receiver and it has a ue22 signal. I flash the firmware and do a hard reset and nothing. At times, it would make loud POPPING sounds on and off with the speakers. I noticed that on the receiver, it wasn't "picking up" the speaker channels (normally in the topleft corner it shows which speakers are being used). I fiddled with it a bit by pushing some buttons and it finally picked up the speakers and starting playing sound. Worked about a day and then again the loud pop from the speakers and noticed that the receiver again wasn't showing the speakers on the display. I fiddled with it again and i got sound back, but i wanted to troubleshoot what was going on.

So in summary:
UE22 error.
Updated to current firmware and did factory reset.
Sound works occasionally when the receiver is "detecting" the speakers in top-left corner of display.

Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance for the help!
Post edited by wonderedunder on

Comments

• LesH
    LesH Posts: 77
    edited December 2013
    Options
    This literally just happened to me too starting about a month ago. See thread http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?154994-Pio-vsx-1121-k-dying-Service-Sell-or-Trash-It

At first I could flash the firmware and audio worked for a day to two. I never lost video. There are more details in the thread above. I have pretty much given up all hope and am buying a new unit today.
  • wonderedunder
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Thank you LesH. This is a bit disappointing. : ( I paid a lot of money for the receiver for it to last less than two years...

The sound now will come and go and lasts a half an hour at a time, then it gives me the same popping noises in the speakers and the topleft of the pioneer display will flash on and off as if its picking up the speakers and then not. I then turn off the unit and reset it and punch a bunch of the buttons (surround / zone 2 / etc) and it will eventually pick up the speakers again and the cycle repeats. The UE22 flashes pretty continuously on the receiver, except occasionally it will let up.

If i have to buy a new unit I will, but it seems that this is a common enough issue and a new enough unit that pioneer should be willing to fix it. But i definitely agree with you, before i spend over a hundred dollars on this unit, i'd just buy a new one.

Anyone have any thoughts of things to try before i go and empty my bank account even more?
  • LesH
    edited December 2013
    Options
    If i have to buy a new unit I will, but it seems that this is a common enough issue and a new enough unit that pioneer should be willing to fix it. But i definitely agree with you, before i spend over a hundred dollars on this unit, i'd just buy a new one.

Anyone have any thoughts of things to try before i go and empty my bank account even more?

If you bought the unit within the past year, it should still be under warranty. If it is under Pioneer's warranty, you can look up a service center on their website and have it repaired on Pioneer's dime. Maybe that would work for you.
  • wonderedunder
    edited December 2013
    Options
    i bought it for xmas 2011, so it's almost two years now. so warranty will not fly, unfortunately. : ( have you decided to go with the 1222k? if i had a costco that had one near me i'd consider that.
  • wonderedunder
    edited December 2013
    Options
    mine is giving me the same version # with *** in it. i'm almost certain we have the same problem LesH. after i tried to reflash it, it gave me an update error. I have a feeling this thing is just broke. : /
  • wonderedunder
    edited December 2013
    Options
    i haven't tried contacting pioneer yet... they're not open on weekends. i was planning on calling them monday. hopefully this is a simple fix or if they're aware of the problem they are reasonable about how to go about making it right.
  • LesH
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I have not tried contacting Pioneer either. I guess there is a glimmer of hope there, but not holding my breath. I'm certain there is no simple fix and that a component on the inside has gone bad.

My unit was two years old also wonderedunder. Manufactured around June/July '11 and purchase two Novembers ago.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    edited December 2013
    Options
    You guys with the problems might PM forum member Mantis. He's an installer and specializes in Pioneer. He might have some ideas. Just a thought...
  • itgbkj
    itgbkj Posts: 7
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Wonderedunder, I couldn't have described my very same problems on my 1021-k any better than you did.

Let me share with everyone my attempts to fix the problem:

FIRMWARE
    1. For sometime, I tried updating the firmware online. It reported back:
    a. I have the latest, no new files to update.
    b. somehow, it got hold of what he called a new file and allowed me to update. It got stuck at 20% and reported back with Unable to Update. Weird as it may sound, it was looking for the "31" version of the update firmware (which was the 1st). There are only 2 updates available (on which, my unit should have the 71 version already).
    c. attempted to update the firmware to 71, which i got from Pio's website. Two USBs were used, but all got stuck at 20% and reported back with Error 1 problem.
    d. Hunted down the 31 version since according to the online diagnosis, it requires the 31. I got hold of the 31, but still, Error 1 problem.
    e. I performed Factory Reset (when I can) in all of these steps

BOTTOMLINE, update at your own risk. I ended up with UE22 error. My unit now goes into endless boot-up cycle. and also, i've tried factory reset too.

I only use the vsx to drive sounds thru Optical Cable (TV/SAT). Video is fed directly to the monitor.

Before everything went crazy, i noticed that if the optical cable is "on," the unit, upon POWER-ON, shuts down thereafter. Removing the Optical Cable allows the unit to go into the inputsource selection. I thought, maybe my cable is dirty - so I cleaned it. Still, i did not get lucky.

Any inputs (and I will share if I find something substantial) from you is greatly appreciated.

I'm almost convinced to bring it to Pio Service Center. Hopefully, they can still fix this.
  • itgbkj
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Adding other items I saw in the net:
    1. 1021-K shares the same firmware as that 921-K
    2. there is a different firmware available for 1021 - in Australia site (is 1021 the same with 1021-K)?

Just maybe, this is applicable to our units too:
    I have vsx-d812 that has an AMP ERR in error menu. the troubleshooting was found to be Q696 and Q697 in the DC prot. area on "C" board, up near front toward diplay in center of c board. You can get access to error codes on VSX pioneer unit by pressing "enter" and "adv. surr." simultaneously for 2 sec. The display should show what error code you are experiencing. I believe there are three diff. error codes. 1) AMP ERR 2) OVERLOAD 3) BOAD ERR (not mistyped) I hope this helps pinpoint error code for ya.
    --- quoted from somewhere <thanks to that contributor>

Also, a more detailed way to Factory Reset the unit:
    Set MULTIZONE to OFF
    -disconnect the ipod and usb memory devices from the receiver first (if applicable)
    - Set the CONTROL with hdmi to OFF (HDMI setup pg 41)

1. SWITCH THE RECEIVER INTO STANDBY MODE
    2. WHILE HOLDING DOWN ENTER ON THE FRONT PANEL, PRESS THE STANDBY BUTTON
    the display shows reset <NO>
    3. SELECT RESET USING PRESET <--/-->, THEN PRESS ENTER ON THE FRONT PANEL
    the display shows RESET? OK
    4. PRESS ENTER TO CONFIRM
    OK appears in display to indicate the receiver has been reset to factory default settings
    --- Quoted from the net <thanks again to the contributor>

I'll try again later - this time, removing all speaker wires and do Firmware update/ Factory reset.
  • itgbkj
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Good news: the receiver is now working (I'll come back here if the problem resurrects over the weekend - or in the future)

Bad news: fixed it the old-fashioned way - I banged and slamed the receiver on the step-down transformer side / where the "clicking" happens.

But here's what got me to do that:
    1. removed all connections - even the speakers
    2. attempted a number of reboots, upgrade (this time, it was telling me i had the latest firmware), resets - using almost all possible buttons that I can muster, and finally, just started slapping and slamming the whole unit. I was telling myself, it's broken anywayand I'll be bringing it to the service center.

somehow, the unit behaved and did not show UE22 anymore (while the unit was not connected in any way).
    I then reconnected a pair of speakers - tested and it was working.
    I then proceeded to reconnect all speakers - tested and UE22 came-up again.
    Turned-off the unit (i believe, I did not unplug it anymore)... slammed it again then tested...
    Again, it worked.

I hope this will be a permanent fix - than a permanent damage.

Good luck with everyone else's receivers.

THIS WILL BE THE LAST TIME I WILL PURCHASE PIONEER RECEIVERS. I had a Yamaha before, never gave me problems.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Obviously Pioneer has some issues with those....enough for me to suggest to steer clear, but I sure wouldn't deem all Pioneer receivers to be duds. A few bad apples don't spoil the whole bushel.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • LesH
    edited December 2013
    Options
    itgbkj wrote: »
    Good news: the receiver is now working (I'll come back here if the problem resurrects over the weekend - or in the future)

Bad news: fixed it the old-fashioned way - I banged and slamed the receiver on the step-down transformer side / where the "clicking" happens.

But here's what got me to do that:
    1. removed all connections - even the speakers
    2. attempted a number of reboots, upgrade (this time, it was telling me i had the latest firmware), resets - using almost all possible buttons that I can muster, and finally, just started slapping and slamming the whole unit. I was telling myself, it's broken anywayand I'll be bringing it to the service center.

somehow, the unit behaved and did not show UE22 anymore (while the unit was not connected in any way).
    I then reconnected a pair of speakers - tested and it was working.
    I then proceeded to reconnect all speakers - tested and UE22 came-up again.
    Turned-off the unit (i believe, I did not unplug it anymore)... slammed it again then tested...
    Again, it worked.

I hope this will be a permanent fix - than a permanent damage.

Good luck with everyone else's receivers.

THIS WILL BE THE LAST TIME I WILL PURCHASE PIONEER RECEIVERS. I had a Yamaha before, never gave me problems.

What is the word? Your receiver still working? My issues eventually came back with in a day or two. I'd be willing to slap mine around. Heck, I'd be willing to throw it off the roof even, if I could get it to work a while longer.
  • itgbkj
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Hi LesH, yup, problems did come back <last night>

1. The slapping and slamming did fix the firmware issue or the "UE22" problem for now.
    2. And if I may use the description above, "the unit does not 'pick-up' the speakers and no sounds came-thru." The unit is able to display 5.1 audio tho. It took a while before it was able to detect the speakers - turning-it-off-and-on. Someone said that the receiver needs to establish "handshake" with the source so it will be able to set-itself-up properly. If no hand-shake is established, no-sound.
    a. I tried turning-off and on and setting it at different audio sources: from DVD / Tuner / iPod / etc. I also allowed 10sec of STANDBY time before powering-it-up again. I noticed that the receiver is only able to audio-up (at times) if audio source is playing 5.1 via optical. I wish I can try HDMI 5.1 sound (my media player doesn't support this). Otherwise, it's no-sound for you.
    b. I also noticed that it helps to "remove" the iPod connected via USB.
    c. I must have read it somewhere, but someone did talk about the receiver's initialization sequence. He said, the receiver initializes itself upon plugging-it-into the outlet. The red indicator that flashes a few times is the initialization phase (detecting all input ports, i guess)
    3. The loud-pop sounds also happened during 5.1 playback. to illustrate, normal volume at -20db, speakers working fine, then suddenly, rears and front started crackling and spewing forth popping sounds. I'm just glad that powering down the receivers via remote still worked. But this scares me a lot since it might just damage the speakers.

My greatest fear playing/tinkering (at least two hours at a time) on this receiver are:
    1. Will this BLOW-UP on my face? Some damaged capacitor does make an effective firecracker
    2. Is there a possibility that the receiver might just damage my speakers because of the popping sounds?

And if I may ask, is there anyone who was able to re-update the firmware? Mine says no new files are being detected - NO NEED TO UPDATE. I wish I can use the earlier 31 firmware. Or do a re-update on the existing-latest firmware. Any inputs much appreciated.

And really, I'm tempted to bring this to the Pioneer Service Center - and cross fingers that they can do something about it.

Honestly, I think, this 1021-K is indeed a problematic receiver - a lot of owners have complained.
  • itgbkj
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I did discover a power-up sequence for the receiver that displays the current firmware and "UPDATE Y/N?" It can be accessed when you press and hold, I think, the UP button and pressing the STANDBY/ON button. Similar to how you do a factory reset.

Hahaha... and still, after doing this sequence, the problem persists. Suddenly, the sounds just go haywire.

Could it be that the culprit is how the 5.1 audio is coded? I'm convinced that this is a hardware issue - when the unit builds-up heat, this problem occurs.

<this thread is now acting like my diary of my Pioneer VSX-1021-K receiver>

Thanks.
  • wonderedunder
    edited December 2013
    Options
    hey itgbkj. we definitely have the same problem. i still have my receiver and it's still not working. it would occasionally make a successful "handshake" if i did what you said... just power on/off.... or switch sources, etc. but ultimately that stopped working altogether. i would love to hear if you have any more insights on this. I'm close to throwing this thing out the window.
  • itgbkj
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Last night - had another go with the unit. This time, I placed a cooling fan over the receiver which draws up heat significantly. As such, the whole thing was cool to the touch. I thought, if this is an overheating problem, this fan should help address the problem. No luck - the squelching happened after about 30 minutes. Worse, UE22 resurrected itself.

I read on a different forum, there is this processor inside that distributes sounds to the channels. it's a Cirruslogic thing. What he did was removed the casing. Using the eraser of a pencil wrapped in masking tape, he started tapping the different boards within and listened for the squelching to happen. Once he isolated the board, he also tapped the different components and ended up with the Cirruslogic chip being the root-cause.

He did two things:
    1. applied pressure on the chip
    2. then decided to solder (or re-solder) the pins

Both fixed the job. Sadly, such feats are for experts (not for me). I can experiment with the tapping, tho. I'll let you know the outcome.

I also would like to share that one user did "bend" the board and it also fixed the problem. With both DIYs, I am convinced that their problems are on weak contact points.

Based on my readings, these are probable causes of why this is happening:
    1. low-quality Toslink Optical Cable.
    2. Problematic HDMI assembly (in my case, since I am only using Optical Cable, then faulty optical cable socket)
    3. Interference on other devices (some wrapped their cables with alum or something)

Honestly, I can't replace my unit just as yet (it's only been two-months, it's refurbished, no warranty - still caused a significant amount of money). I will bring it to the Service Center soon. <and of course, will discuss all of what they did to get it to work... hopefully, they can fix it still>
  • itgbkj
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I give up... this is my FB status:

I'm returning my Pioneer VSX-1021-K. I am impressed with the features, but what good will it do you when it hangs, enters a never-ending boot cycle, gives you a fabled UE22 error, most of the time - no sounds because it is not able to detect your speakers, and if it did, sometime later, it spews forth squelching sounds that can literally break your speakers. So, I'm returning it and this will be the last time I will get a Pio. ‪#‎UE22‬
  • pavlograd
    pavlograd Posts: 25
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I have a VSX-1021 that I bought new several years ago and it just started giving me the UE22 day before yesteday! A week ago, we did do something different with it - we connected up my laptop via HDMI to play a youtube video while my son was here for holidays. Whatever we did messed it up.
  • John Hobbins
    John Hobbins Posts: 2
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I am very unimpressed with Pioneer. I have spent two hours on the phone with them for this problem and they said nothing about this being a continual problem for many customers!!!
    I have been waiting 2 hours for them to call me back "immediately"... I assume this is because they know I can't fix this problem.

Like everyone else in this thread, I have experienced Popping of speakers, and now a UE22 signal that will not go away even after three attempts to update using the file for vsx-51. I have owned Denon, Yamaha, and now Pioneer. I spend lots of money on AV and can't believe that Pioneer is just leaving us to wonder...STOP WAISTING MY TIME ...

I don't see how banging the unit will fix it like some have stated...this can only be a temporary fix...

Any other suggestions?
  • John Hobbins
    John Hobbins Posts: 2
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Ok, I can't believe this, and I am not sure about posting this - BUT, after posting the preceeding post about 30 minutes ago, I went up to my Pioneer unit and smacked it a couple of times - It now WORKS
    It still flashes UE22, but the sound is better than even before! How can this be?
  • jslinnha
    jslinnha Posts: 4
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I'm having the same UE22 issue. When turning on the unit i get no sound. But then after 5-20 minutes sound returns. Very frustrating.

going to try the revert firmware method above....
  • jslinnha
    edited January 2014
    Options
    itgbkj wrote: »
    I did discover a power-up sequence for the receiver that displays the current firmware and "UPDATE Y/N?" It can be accessed when you press and hold, I think, the UP button and pressing the STANDBY/ON button. Similar to how you do a factory reset.

hi itgbkj - this power up sequence didn't work - i tried all combinations of front buttons. Any ideas ?

Thanks
  • jslinnha
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Hi All,

After numerous failed attempts to update/revert the firmaware, i have taken my unti to the repair shop

will update this thread on the findings
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Ok, I can't believe this, and I am not sure about posting this - BUT, after posting the preceeding post about 30 minutes ago, I went up to my Pioneer unit and smacked it a couple of times - It now WORKS
    It still flashes UE22, but the sound is better than even before! How can this be?

See....old school baby. LOL

Seriously....dump it as soon as you can and buy something else. Pioneer SC series is the line to own, Yamaha Advantage series too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jslinnha
    edited January 2014
    Options
    So - got the quote back from the repair shop. Apparently the main digital pcb needs replacing @ £200, plus labour. al in all £279 for repair, with a 3 month warranty.....

just bought a Yamaha.

Will not touch Pioneer again. I spent so long looking for a solution to this problem - I guess the lack of information was due to the fatal nature.
  • wadouse
    wadouse Posts: 1
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I have a Pioneer VSX-1326-K (It's really an Elite 53) re-branded and sold by Future Shop in Canada. I purchased on boxing day 2 years ago (so warranty is out it had a 2 year warranty) even tho the website says it has a 3 year warranty
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POCEN/Home/AV-Receivers/FutureShop/VSX-1326-K

About 4 months ago I started getting the UE22 error message however my sound was still working so I didn't look into the issue. One week ago I lost my sound and I'm unable to get the sound back either through my Speakers (AMP) or to my TV's (Through).

-Things I have tried
    Unhooked all components and tried testing just with two working speakers and a single 17 inch HDMI TV.
    Tried updating Firmware (it hangs at 20% and gets error 1)

I called Pioneer Canada and they want me to send them the receiver for an estimate to repair. I'm very upset this is a expensive amp that is not working after only 2 years (and it was barely used )

Can anybody provide some information on what they think it is,, or where the Circus chip is located

Thanks
  • UE22 Error
    UE22 Error Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Has anyone had luck with Pioneer in correcting this issue? If so what are the remedies?
    This error started yesterday and I have reloaded the firmware from the Internet - that did not correct the issue.

It sounds like from the thread that the only option is to purchase a new unit (not from Pioneer)
  • audioken
    Options
    I just looked at a vsx-51 doing this. There's a ball-grid-array DTS chip on the digital pcb. Cooking this with a heat gun for 30-40 seconds (with the rcvr unplugged) has resoldered it, (no more UE-22), for now. I glued a little heat-sink to it in hopes it won't unsolder again, but I suspect it will anyway. I've done this on several Onkyo receivers and never heard back from the customers, which means either they lasted or the customers pitched them out when thay failed again.