New to DIY RCA cables?

zingo
zingo Posts: 11,258
edited December 2012 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
This is an offer to anyone who is new to DIY, and wants to try making their own cables. This Liberty Wire cabling is coaxial (solid jacketed center with braided copper shield), and decent cabling for budget DIY RCA cables, and a fun way to learn some new skills. I'll provide you as much cable as you want (with in reason) if you pay for shipping, and you will need to provide your own plugs as well. If you have questions or want to be walked through the process, I don't mind helping and providing guidance for anyone wanting to learn the basics. Building a set of these cables would be better than any of the cheap stuff that comes with your equipment or available at your local store.

calbe.JPG

Have fun!
Post edited by zingo on

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,291
    edited November 2012
    would this work for optical cable?

just kidding great offer Zingo
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2012
    would this work for optical cable?

Nope, but if you do a search, the Liberty Cable is recommended for digital, analog, and even F connector type cables.

Most people are really happy with it.

Zingo, do I qualify as "New to DIY"??:lol:

JK:cheesygrin:, someone needs to jump on this offer, easy to build, and can be used in most all applications.

Great offer Zingo.

Would be a great cable to get into some DIY and excellent practice to move up to more advances designs.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,461
    edited November 2012
    Nice offer zingo. I've used connectors like these for my coax IC's.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=091-400

I've been using Belden coax as IC's for years. Mine are stranded center conductor, very flexible. And yes, I've owned some pricey IC's in my audio time.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • zingo
    edited November 2012
    Nice looking plugs. My favorite DIY RCA plugs are the silver, locking units for Luminous Audio. You look and fit great, and do sound better than most IMO.
  • SCompRacer
    edited November 2012
    I would love to find a source for these old RCA coax terminations. They are off a damaged Linn LP12 turntable IC, 5 pin DIN plug to RCA. They had two grounds, so you unbraided the shield and split it into two for the best strain relief. These are currently in use on my turntable.

term.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • zingo
    edited November 2012
    Very cool plugs. The DH Labs RCA-3 75 ohm plug also has a very nice design, and I believe the dielectric is solid teflon. You solder the center pin, then compress the shield. It makes for a very solid connection both mechanically and electrically, but you can still easily take the plug apart and resolder the center pin if needed.

RCA-3.jpg
    RCA-3-exploded.jpg
  • SCompRacer
    edited November 2012
    DH labs has some nice IC's!
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    edited November 2012
    The Aural Thrills solid teflon (except the center pin and ground which is pure copper or silver) RCA plugs are outstanding. I recommend them very highly.

cable4.jpg
    tef1%20copy.jpg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • zingo
    edited November 2012
    Those teflon plugs do look nice, and a solid design as well.

One interesting design note about the Luminous Audio silver plugs is that they are a thick silver plating over a low conductivity brass body. Since creating a high conductivity plug (solid silver for example) can be expensive, Tim put a lot of silver over a metallurgy that's cheap not very conductive. The result is a nice plug that is less expensive, but acts like a solid silver plug because of the difference in conductivity between the two metals.

silverrcaallMD.jpg
  • laotzu61
    laotzu61 Posts: 327
    edited November 2012
    i would be very interested, and would also appreciate your help. how would i find out how much shipping would be to 53095? thanks.
    "The symbol is not the reality"
  • zingo
    edited November 2012
  • Systems
    edited November 2012
    zingo wrote: »
    Those teflon plugs do look nice, and a solid design as well.

One interesting design note about the Luminous Audio silver plugs is that they are a thick silver plating over a low conductivity brass body. Since creating a high conductivity plug (solid silver for example) can be expensive, Tim put a lot of silver over a metallurgy that's cheap not very conductive. The result is a nice plug that is less expensive, but acts like a solid silver plug because of the difference in conductivity between the two metals.

silverrcaallMD.jpg

I was looking at those earlier on their websight.
    Very nice looking plug, and not overpriced when compared to Cardas, and Vamps.

I am probably going to try a set.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • zingo
    edited November 2012
    I would suggest it. I like their feel and look, plus after trying a bunch of different plugs, they sound the best to me. Email Tim directly from the website to order the plugs, and tell him I say hi!
  • laotzu61
    edited November 2012
    Email sent.

got it. i will give you a shout later. and thankyou very much
  • Systems
    edited November 2012
    You should get you some black techflex to cover your cable.
    I think the yellow cable under black techflex looks really good.
    It looks brown in the pic, but in person, the black with the yellow cable looks exceptional!

Example A:cheesygrin::

10-3-6-2nd002.jpg
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • laotzu61
    edited November 2012
    Email sent.

sent you an email also, jake.
  • zingo
    edited November 2012
  • laotzu61
    edited December 2012
    hey, jake. got the cable today, and is it nice!! thanks. is that heat-shrink tubing you sent along with it? anyway, what type of soldering iron (watts) should i be looking at, and what diameter tip?
    thanks again
  • zingo
    edited December 2012
    That is heat shrink that you can use between the end of the RCA plug and the cable; some prefer the look.

I have this iron, and have never had an issue with years of use. Stock tip works fine for 95% of work, except very fine board work. You won't be able to heat huge, copper plugs or lugs, but you also won't burn components easily which would be more common.
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=372-110
  • laotzu61
    edited December 2012
    got it, jake. and thanks again. i will probably have a couple more questions once i get going on this. really looking forward to it, too.
  • zingo
    edited December 2012
    That's what I'm here for.

You will have to strip back the outer case to expose the shield which will be your ground, as well as strip the insulation off the center conductor which will be your signal. I included an extra foot or so of cable so you can practice before you build the cables you're going to use.
  • laotzu61
    edited December 2012
    what's the best way to do this? (stripping) i have an awg wire stripper, but don't know if that will be precise enough.
  • zingo
    edited December 2012
    That's why a little practice is good. You can use wire strippers for the whole thing, or sometimes I'll use scissors for the outer casing. You have to cut through it enough to remove it, but not enough to damage the shield.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,291
    edited December 2012
    you can also use a razor to carefully cut outside jacket....Me I use a RG6 cable stripper
  • laotzu61
    edited December 2012
    oh, boy
    i think you should have sent an extra 10' or so for me to practice on, jake!!! :eek::eek: