Some vintage Kenwood bookshelf speakers I refurbed this summer

TNHNDYMAN
TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
edited November 2012 in Vintage Speakers
These speakers were given to me by my uncle last fall. He bought them shortly after coming home from Vietnam. There was a warranty paper stapled to the back but nothing indicated a specific model #. They were in pretty rough shape and I decided to use them for practice to better my refurb skills. The woofer is 8" and the tweet was not easily removed so I was unable to identify. The veneer was cracking and peeling in several places, but I decided to just work on a basic level without doing any veneer work.

I sanded them down and restained with Cabot's red mahogany stain. I then applied several coats of MiniWax semi gloss poly. The crossover was very basic and I replace the hi pass capacitor with a cheapie from Rat Shack. For a mid sized bookshelf speaker they sounded quite nice. If I hadn't salvaged them they would have ended up in the local landfill, so I was pleased with the final result.

Found a local university professor who was wanting to create a basic vintage rig and sold these to him for $75. Even though I had alot of time and some materials in this project, profit wasn't really the objective. It was just nice seeing them go to a new home where they will be enjoyed for many more years.

I wish I had 1/10 of the skills of some of the forum members here who have posted their projects. This was a basic refurb that has me looking forward to many future projects. Thanks for letting me share.

IMG_0523.jpg
IMG_0334.jpg
IMG_0281.jpg
IMG_0221.JPG
before.jpg
2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

Post edited by TNHNDYMAN on

Comments