Onkyo TX-SR805 7.1 channel AV receiver

Options
billbillw
billbillw Posts: 6,195
edited October 2012 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
OK, I guess I'm going to sell my beloved Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver. I've been using this beast for about 4 1/2 years. It has been perfect for me up until a few weeks ago when it started giving me some HDMI issues. Specifically, it now only seems to work on 1 out of the 3 HDMI inputs. HDMI-3 seems to be reliable with every device I've tried including 1080p bluray. HDMI 1 and 2 are sporadic, but seem to work with lower resolutions. I'm not sure if this is due to age or if I caused the problem when I was hot swapping HDMI cables (my Bluray player was also acting up at the time).

So, what we have is one TX-SR805 in near perfect cosmetic and mostly perfect operating condition (other than the HDMI issue above). Comes with original box, Audyssey mic, remote, manual, etc. This unit has the desirable 1.08 firmware installed. Also has latest DSP software.

So, if you don't need HDMI switching, 3D, or networking, this would be a great receiver. It will handle one HDMI input for your bluray and you can send all other inputs to the optical/coax or analog inputs. Unfortunately, I did need HDMI switching since I only have one HDMI running up in the ceiling to my projector.

For detailed specs, etc: http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?class=Receiver&m=TX-SR805

I'm asking $250+shipping for this beast. Local pickup in ATL metro also a possibility.

BTW, in case you didn't know, the SR805 has not been surpassed in power output by any Onkyo receiver since, not even the mighty NR500x series. This receiver can actually output more than its rated output with all 7 channels driven. Unheard of these days. Yes, it can do 150wpc all channels driven at only 1% distortion. All of the current receivers are lucky to output 100w with all channels driven.

See here: http://www.hometheater.com/content/bampw-600-series-speaker-system-and-onkyo-tx-sr805-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures-onkyo-tx-sr8

Compare that against any of the newer newer receivers from any of the brands.

I will post photos tonight.
For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
Post edited by billbillw on

Comments

• shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited October 2012
    Options
    A question that might help with the sale: Does anyone know if it is possible to plug an HDMI switch into the working port and have a remote switch that would switch to sources?
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • billbillw
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Should work in theory, but we are talking hdmi here. It has always been a technology that sometimes just doesn't work for no apparent reason.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I'm still running one of these, fingers crossed? And can second all of billbillw's commentary on it above. A monster class AVR. I use mine with an M-70 based HT so (not the highest end speaker set) but I also find it absolutely unnecessary to use external amplification with this set up, which will save you some money if you have reasonably efficient speakers.

This is a beastie, for sure. One that I will run till it dies because it's hard to find such "value" today. It's worth more than what B.. is asking just for its amp sections!

GLWTS!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    edited October 2012
    Options
    A beast is a understatement!! I just got mine and after doing the factory reset and calibrating the speakers, I am in awe. It is running my SDA 2B's and when I play the Pandora Radio, the speakers start to dance. I have heard that they get real hot, I have had mine on for hours on end at pretty darn loud levels and a little warm is all I get. I do keep (for safe reasons) a small fan on top of the amp blowing air up, and I keep mine on a dresser in the bedroom out in the open, so maybe that's why I am not able to fry an egg on mine.

This is a great deal on a great receiver. Whoever gets it will be thrilled. No luck needed selling this baby!!At that price it will sell itself!!!

THJ
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited October 2012
    Options
    There are many available digital hdmi switchers available on the marker with 4 in and 1 out to one port can be used for multiple sources and the hdmi switcher function added to a universal remote. Monoprice has a great selection for only a light handful of dollars
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited October 2012
    Options
    There are many available digital hdmi switchers available on the marker with 4 in and 1 out to one port can be used for multiple sources and the hdmi switcher function added to a universal remote. Monoprice has a great selection for only a light handful of dollars

Also worth noting that monoprice switch can also be controlled by Harmony remotes!

805, like any other Onkyo from that generation really required a fan over its HDMI board, which always gets very hot. I have had a fan on top of mine since day one and it has worked flawlessly (and the board is barely warm thanks to that fan).
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • billbillw
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Photos as promised. Can't find any cosmetic flaws other than scratching around the HDMI ports on the rear. It was placed on my top shelf (6+feet high) and never moved until I packed it to go to the new house. From there it was straight into the new AV rack. A 9/10 on cosmetics.

I would mention that I did run a fan on top of the HDMI board for most of its life, and it was always in an open air space (never a shelf above). So heat was never an issue with this unit. Also, not sure if I mentioned above, but this was bought as a refurb originally. The box is a B-stock, pain brown.

2012-10-040041024x768.jpg
    2012-10-040061024x768.jpg
    2012-10-040091024x768.jpg
    2012-10-040101024x768.jpg
    2012-10-040111024x768.jpg
    2012-10-040121024x768.jpg
    2012-10-040131024x768.jpg
    2012-10-040011024x768.jpg
  • billbillw
    edited October 2012
    Options
    BTW, I forgot to mention, this receiver was one of the "Made in Japan" units. Early unit before production was shipped off to China. Some (including me) prefer anything made in Japan over those made in China.
  • cnh
    edited October 2012
    Options
    That's interesting. I don't think I ever checked mine for that because I've always assumed that ALL Onkyos (AVRs) were made in Malaysia? In fact soon after this model, Onkyo invested a ton of money into a primary production facility in Malaysia and even started to produce its highest end models there?

Seems pics of the TX-SR 905 do, in fact, show it was made in Japan? And so do OnkyoUSA pics of the TX-SR 805? You learn something new every day!

Nevertheless. Nice pics of a great AVR!

cnh

• tophatjohnny
    edited October 2012
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    That's interesting. I don't think I ever checked mine for that because I've always assumed that ALL Onkyos (AVRs) were made in Malaysia? In fact soon after this model, Onkyo invested a ton of money into a primary production facility in Malaysia and even started to produce its highest end models there?

Seems pics of the TX-SR 905 do, in fact, show it was made in Japan? And so do OnkyoUSA pics of the TX-SR 805? You learn something new every day!

Nevertheless. Nice pics of a great AVR!

cnh

I bit....I looked at the back of mine and one side it reads "Japan" and the other states "Made in Malaysia", just like the one pictured here for sale. Where ever it was made, this receiver is thumper for sure!! Someone needs to snap it up!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • jon s
    jon s Posts: 905
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Onkyo manufactures the first run in Japan... Once they work out the bugs, they start making them in Malaysia...
  • tophatjohnny
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Wow, this baby still hasn't sold?? She's a beast and then some!!
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Onkyo's are notorious for the HDMI problem. Check this video out. This is a 606 but it's probably the same fix. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj0x5S9ez5U
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • cnh
    edited October 2012
    Options
    If that guy in the video can fix that problem with $15 worth of caps on the HDMI board. Then shame on ONKYO! Look at what they charge for a new HDMI board! It's outrageous. It's also absurd that Onkyo should've risked these units for such CHEAP parts! You really have to wonder?

cnh

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited October 2012
    Options
    IMO, my suggestion for anyone who owns an 805/806 is to keep a pair of cooling fans on top of the unit at ALL times simply because of the design. The HDMI board is on the top of the unit, which takes heat from the other components below, and the 14 main output transistors are stacked VERY close together! Add to the fact that the power supply runs hot on these units, these receivers need to breathe or else they will fail. I studied amplifier design in my undergrad E.E. days and some of the choices Onkyo made make me go ???
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited October 2012
    Options
    ^^ Don't get me wrong, these are still nice AVRs. Just have to keep 'em cool. GLWTS.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • tophatjohnny
    edited October 2012
    Options
    ^^ Don't get me wrong, these are still nice AVRs. Just have to keep 'em cool. GLWTS.

Mine gets warm..never hot. I talked to the original owner as well, and he said it didn't get hot on him either?? And just because I still have a 8" fan (blowing in the upwards position) set on top just because of all the heat horror I read about on this unit. Maybe my fan is just doing it's thing that good?? So far I really dig the receiver and am glad I got it!!
  • billbillw
    edited October 2012
    Options
    OK, enough side talk. Anyone interested in this receiver? A lot of power and capability for the money.
  • billbillw
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Another bump for a very capable, powerful, (bench tested to output 150w x 7 all channels driven) receiver. Not many current receivers can do that. I can't think of even one except for maybe the uber expensive Denon 5308ci. One HDMI still works great for your bluray lossless decoding. All other inputs (optical/digital/analog) work perfect and should keep working for many years. You can't find a new THX Ultra2 certified receiver (which means plenty of power for big rooms and 4 ohms won't kill it) for under $2000 these days. It has the latest Firmware and DSP installed. Flawless cosmetics on the front, remote is like new (always used a harmony). Keep in mind that with these receivers, the HDMI issues don't affect the other operations. The DSP and main boards are separate and are not affected by the HDMI issues.
    $250+shipping.
  • billbillw
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Bump.
    Off to Ebay in a couple days if no interest here.
  • tophatjohnny
    edited October 2012
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    Bump.
    Off to Ebay in a couple days if no interest here.

Yeah, seems like a lot of moochers in the "for sale" section, and you probably knew that when ya posted. I learn quick. The receiver is a great one. I bought the same one over on AG a few weeks back and I love it. Probably sell quicker on the bay??
  • billbillw
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Yeah, seems like a lot of moochers in the "for sale" section, and you probably knew that when ya posted. I learn quick. The receiver is a great one. I bought the same one over on AG a few weeks back and I love it. Probably sell quicker on the bay??

Not sure I would say moochers. I have sold plenty here, always at fair prices. Sometimes, there is just no buyer for the item. This receiver is not for everyone, but it would be great for the right buyer.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Not so sure I would say "moochers" either! If I had the dough I would buy this from Bill without a second thought. I have bought from him before and he is a stand up dude!
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • tophatjohnny
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Okay...poochers then.:razz:
  • billbillw
    edited October 2012
    Options
    halo71 wrote: »
    Not so sure I would say "moochers" either! If I had the dough I would buy this from Bill without a second thought. I have bought from him before and he is a stand up dude!

Gary,
    Your PM box is full. Clear some out bro so I can talk to you...
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    edited October 2012
    Options
    done
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • billbillw
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Another bump. Had a few local buyers in line, but they have all fallen through. Anyone before it goes on Ebay?
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited October 2012
    Options
    bill, is yours hooked up to a projector? Mine died about a year ago and I don't know whether to blame the lightning strike or the known hdmi boards. I had a cpu case fan I installed from day one and it blew right on the hdmi board and my issues are NOT the hdmi ins, but rather the hdmi to my panny projector. Like a handshake issue. Onkyo wants to sell me a new board and Panny just blames Onkyo. The 805 works to my smaller 40" lcd just fine.

I replaced all capacitors as described throughout the internet to no avail. I opted finally to just use an hdmi switch, I think it is the Joytech and my Harmony One controls it for my video switching. I still get lossless audio so I'm all good with my crutch.

Good luck with the sale. I have been enamored with my 805 regardless.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • billbillw
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Anybody for $225+shipping? I hate Ebay these days, but I may have to go there...
  • billbillw
    edited October 2012
    Options
    OK, she's on Ebay now...