My new point to point SDA 1C crossovers

Options
gwg_97
gwg_97 Posts: 332
edited June 2012 in Vintage Speakers
Hi all,

I just thought I would post a few photos of the amazing work that Geoff727 did on my crossovers and thank him again for far exceeding my expectations. I also wanted to thank him for the eye/ear opening listening sessions. The vinyl and organ music blew me away! He really has his gear dialed in. :cheesygrin:

These crossovers are part of a SDA1C restoration project that I am working on. More posts and photos will follow; however, it may take a bit of time considering my very busy schedule.

Photos are of the crossovers and very professional binding post installation work. That SDA cable binding post is as solid as a rock and will never spin. I did the brass mounting tubes and walnut mounting boards (big deal). I also included a photo of my tiger walnut end caps (unfinished work in progress).

Stay tuned.

photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg
photo 4.jpg

System 1:Nakamichi PA-7Kenwood Basic C2Polk SDA 1C moddedSystem 2:Dynaco ST-70Polk Monitor 5B modded
Post edited by gwg_97 on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,140
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Thats awesome!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,880
    edited June 2012
    Options
    That's different...very cool.

Trey, did you notice the lead joints?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Nice work! End caps look good too.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited June 2012
    Options
    gwg_97 wrote: »
    These crossovers are part of a SDA1C restoration project that I am working on.
    Just like automobiles, a speaker cannot be "RESTORED" if you're using modified parts. "Upgrade" seems to be a preferred word around here.
  • kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    edited June 2012
    Options
    George, you are really taking those to "the next level" Awesome :)

@F1: What is the question about the "lead joints" on the new Crossovers Geoff did?
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Another fine example of Geoff's bad a$$ attention to detail. He has been an inspiration to me.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• gwg_97
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »
    Just like automobiles, a speaker cannot be "RESTORED" if you're using modified parts. "Upgrade" seems to be a preferred word around here.

OK, you got me on that one. Althought I am not sure I am "upgrading" with new speaker cloth and new veneer end caps. :wink:

I did recently restore an 1970 BMW R75/5 and I did use all origional parts.

System 1:Nakamichi PA-7Kenwood Basic C2Polk SDA 1C moddedSystem 2:Dynaco ST-70Polk Monitor 5B modded
  • gwg_97
    edited June 2012
    Options
    kcoc321 wrote: »
    George, you are really taking those to "the next level" Awesome :)

@F1: What is the question about the "lead joints" on the new Crossovers Geoff did?

Thanks KC! Geoff ended up surprising me with those polk logos. Very cool!

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited June 2012
    Options
    gwg_97 wrote: »
    OK, you got me on that one. Althought I am not sure I am "upgrading" with new speaker cloth and new veneer end caps. :wink:
    Please don't think I disapprove. Exactly the opposite. You're upgrading the cosmetics as well as upgrading the functionality/sound quality. Bravo.
  • geoff727
    geoff727 Posts: 546
    edited June 2012
    Options
    kcoc321 wrote: »

I think he's looking at the 5 original Polk binding posts that are on each board. These accept 5/16" (I think that's what it was) ring terminals. So, the hookup for the boards is to use two ring terminals sandwiched together. The first ones are already on the binding posts and are soldered to the rest of the xover. The others are on the lead wires. On the board that Geogre showed upside-down, you can see the 3 main wires attached to it. On the side, the posts are: Main +, Main -, and Dimensional interconnect. At the bottom, the two posts are for the 16mH inductor, what's labeled as "P" and "R" on the schematic. I gave George an extra amount of lead wire on these(flying leads on the inductors), so he has some flexibility on where he wants to place the boards inside the enclosures.

George, maybe you can show some photos of the acrylic retaining piece for the SDA post, and what it looks like when the +, -, interconnect, P, and R are all hooked up with the ring terminals? And maybe one of the boards side by side, so folks can see the mirror-image build.

And come over and hear the new digital player that is up an running w/in the last 5 days. You will be floored! I am amazed at this thing.

G~
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS-IIIa (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1290711373
  • gwg_97
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »
    Please don't think I disapprove. Exactly the opposite. You're upgrading the cosmetics as well as upgrading the functionality/sound quality. Bravo.

No worries. You made a very good point. I'm really enjoying this project.

• gwg_97
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Hey Geoff,

I will post some more photos tonight. Hopefully with better light.
    Also, I definitely need to hear your new digital player!

• Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Very nice,I like the walnut end caps.Enjoy your upgrades.
    Geoff you do great work!.Dan
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,880
    edited June 2012
    Options
    geoff727 wrote: »
    I think he's looking at the 5 original Polk binding posts that are on each board.

No, I was referring to the hook/loop solder connections.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gwg_97
    edited June 2012
    Options
    This is a better shot of the full meal deal (all hooked up). Note the acrylic backing plate/retaining piece for the SDA cable binding post. Nice work Geoff! The end cap is for my other 1C project. Yeah, I'm getting addicted.

IMG_1086.jpg

• geoff727
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I will just tell folks a couple of brief things about these, for those who are interested....

The acrylic backing plate for the interconnect binding post has a routed channel, into which the two flat sides on the back screw/solder post of the binding post fit. And they are an exact fit. The only way to ever get that SDA binding post to rotate is to put a wrench to it and break the entire assembly. I used the existing holes that the original pin/blade connector used....nothing new drilled into the binding post cups.

Those with keen eyes will notice that the main SDA interconnect hook-up wire from the binding post is blue, the same color as George's interconnect wire that's sitting on the walnut endcap. It has a red heat shrink on the end, which is the same color as the binding post on the board that it's going to. And, the ring terminal on the board is canted off at an angle with respect to the main + and - terminals. In other words, it has an extra 'dimension', which serves as a memory aid that this connection is for the SDA interconnect.

The blue and green wires next to the 16mH inductor's "P" and "R" hookups at the bottom of the boards are the wire runs for the dimensional drivers, which is another memory aid....the dimensional system is why "P" and "R" (the presence of the inductor) exist in the first place.

The boards are arranged with the tweeter circuit at the top, stereo circuit in the middle, and dimensional circuit at the bottom. The two boards are visual mirror images of each other.

George, I am liking the way they look mounted to those walnut pieces. This is going to turn out to be a nice installation, I have no doubt. And very, very durable. I want to be there when it all gets hooked up for the first time (if only to watch for the presence of smoke and flames!:lol:).
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Very nice work g727!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,546
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Jesus Geoff727, if I ever get SDA's I might just have to ship the crossovers to you for mods lol..... Clean look and some ridiculous attention to detail.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • gwg_97
    edited June 2012
    Options
    geoff727 wrote: »
    I want to be there when it all gets hooked up for the first time (if only to watch for the presence of smoke and flames!:lol:).

I just changed the batteries in the smoke alarm:wink:

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,964
    edited June 2012
    Options
    As always Geoff!!

That's some beautiful work right there.. :arrowu:
  • audio_alan
    audio_alan Posts: 770
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Very nice, Geoff! This makes me want to get busy modding/upgrading my SDA's. I just need to find the time...
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,053
    edited June 2012
    Options
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,053
    edited June 2012
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    No, I was referring to the hook/loop solder connections.

Looks to be a J-Hook which is IPC approved and industry standard.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,546
    edited June 2012
    Options
    audio_alan wrote: »
    Very nice, Geoff! This makes me want to get busy modding/upgrading my SDA's. I just need to find the time...

Shoot, this makes me want to OWN a pair so I can do this lol...

Alan you wanna donate one of your thousands of pairs to a Polkie in need :wink::biggrin::razz:..... jk...... but no seriously do you wanna lol.... :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Beautiful work. Congrats.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited June 2012
    Options
    ^+1

Geoff- when you get a cudos from DK- then you know you are doing it right
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• geoff727
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Glad everyone likes them, especially George. He is going to have a very, very nice looking pair of speakers when his walnut woodworking is done.

I am thinking, the next Seattle GTG.....George's speakers, my amplification and digital playback system. I'm being presumptuous on George's behalf, but it sounds like fun. :wink:
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)