The WDYDT Fitness, Exercise, Diet Thread

Options

Comments

• fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Walked 2 hours. I had originally planned only 1 hr but there was a load of laundry waiting so I kept going.
  • KrazyMofo24
    KrazyMofo24 Posts: 1,195
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I just saw this thread and will go through it when I get some time. It looks like a good and helpful thread.

I recently switched from 24 hour fitness to Lifetime fitness, because I was paying every month and not going. They closed down the one next to me, so I upgraded to the Super Sport which is 20 minutes away. It was always packed and felt the drive was too far to go everyday. On top of that I was being lazy.

So the new gym is closer a 5 minute drive, and the nicer gym is 20 mins away which I'll go on occasion. The new gym has new perks like a spa and a healthy cafe. It also has more equipment and isn't as packed. So I feel like I can finally start eating healthy and working out long term on a consistent basis.

I need to lose over a 100 pounds I'm currently 282. I bought a Polar FT60 which will help me track and build a workout to obtain a good number of calories burned each day. It shows body fat % burned too, and I can upload everything online to see my history. I was also given $150 to use for trainers which I'm going to use to talk to a nutritionist and try to get a good number of calories I should eat a day and burn a day.

I'm hoping this will finally get me going. I went to gym today used the treadmill for 30 mins and swam. I will do more when my watch arrives and as I get in better shape.
    Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
    PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Good stuff Krazy. Keep it up!

I was out in less than 90 degree temps for an hour on the bike today. My usual free weight session on Sunday--about an hour and a half or so. But I rest a lot between heavier sets! Getting 'old...er'!

You know, we're not used to great heat up in Maine so closing in on 90+ is a real pain. Most of us don't even run air-conditioners because the evening temps usually cool to high 50s low 60s. Window fans usually do the job!

Another hot one tomorrow, another hour biking?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • fatchowmein
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Deadlift, squats, lunges.
  • fatchowmein
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Had a well marbled ribeye and shared a Sidney's Sinful Sundae (Outback). Good stuff. :biggrin:

Going to do 1/2 P90x chest & back now. Hope I don't vomit. :rolleyes:
  • cnh
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Another free weight session today. Finally lost a 'few' pounds. Man those 3 or 4 were sticking around for weeks!

I'd say I'd like to be about 8 pounds lighter than my current number. At this rate that might not happen till November! lol!

cnh

• fatchowmein
    edited July 2011
    Options
  • fatchowmein
    edited July 2011
    Options
    5min walk, ran 2 miles, 5min walk at 7PM when it cooled down to 104. :rolleyes:
  • cnh
    edited July 2011
    Options
    In the 'windy' city for a week. Some laps in the pool--maybe a dozen. I'm not much of a swimmer. Tomorrow we'll bike along the lake and maybe do some weights.

cnh

• fatchowmein
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Been busy and haven't had a chance to stop by.

Tuesday: Deadlift, squats
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: HIIT on the elliptical
  • fatchowmein
    edited July 2011
    Options
    5min walk, ran 2 miles, 5min walk.
  • camp21178
    camp21178 Posts: 273
    edited July 2011
    Options
    5min walk, ran 2 miles, 5min walk.

Jeez, how do you have the word fat in your name? LOL
  • Pycroft
    Pycroft Posts: 1,960
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I've exercised every day since my last post in this thread (About a month ago). It was amazing because I went away for two weeks on vacation and came back healthier - that NEVER happens to me :) I am running between 2 and 2.75 miles each day and continuing doing weights. Anyone have any suggested websites for weight lifting? I do bench press, curls, etc. but wanted to see if I could find something to focjus on lower back and ab area. I am clueless. Thanks,

James
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Got the Rockhopper out today 7 miles of light XC trails its been so hot here in the midwest that its not fun riding in the humidity, heat is one thing Humidity is rough on a person, after the sun goes down the dogs and I will get our 2 mile walk in.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • fatchowmein
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Dips
    camp21178 wrote: »
    Jeez, how do you have the word fat in your name? LOL

LoL! I was in the midst of a Chow Yun Fat marathon when I came up with that moniker. Honestly, I still have a small bit of the middle age spread but it's disappearing although the rest of me is shrinking even faster. I'll get there but it'll take time and committment to eating right (80%), sleeping (10%, my weak point), and exercise (10%). We can argue those ratios all day but those numbers seem right for me.

Currently, I'm happy with how things are going especially since it no longer feels like a chore. I'm not so hardcore anymore and I'm a lot more flexible with my workout and more forgiving if I don't do everything exactly as planned.
    Pycroft wrote: »
    IAnyone have any suggested websites for weight lifting? I do bench press, curls, etc. but wanted to see if I could find something to focjus on lower back and ab area. I am clueless. Thanks,

James

www.bodybuilding.com
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/

I prefer the "Over Age 35" section.
    I visit that site from time to time but haven't been by in awhile but they have useful information.

Oh, forgot to mention, deadlifts will rock your lower back and ab area. Just ease into it if you have back problems and take more time than you think you need. You could start by doing Supermans.
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited August 2011
    Options

Oh, forgot to mention, deadlifts will rock your lower back and ab area. Just ease into it if you have back problems and take more time than you think you need. You could start by doing Supermans.

Yep, deadlifts are a great workout but you really have to watch if you have lower back problems. This is also an issue when working out your abs since your lower back will have to come into play too.

Abs was an area I had been neglecting for a while. I used to do only two ab lifts a week. Well, when I noticed I couldn't pull my legs straight out perpindicular to my body (let alone hold it there), I bumped my ab workouts to twice a week, three to four exercises a day. I don't have a six (or four) pack as of yet, but I have noticed I big improvement both strength wise and visually in that area. And what I love the most about abs is most exercises don't need to be done at the gym.
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • fatchowmein
    edited August 2011
    Options
    5min walk, ran 2 miles, 5min walk. Temp: 110/Heat Index: 110. Dangerously hot. My Iphone and Polar watch were very warm to the touch. To me, and remember that I've been running all summer, this borders on brutally hot. If you haven't been out there when it was 103-106, stay home.

My avg HR on this type of run is 119. Today, it was 139. Same slow effort but my heart is beating faster trying to cool me down. Keep in mind that I'm wearing a Mizuno Running Singlet, Nike Dri-Fit shorts, four 8oz flask of water (with ice :biggrin: ), walnuts (something salty that doesn't bother my stomach), Nike Dri-Fit cap (only when the sun is directly pummeling me), and sunglasses. I also cut my run down by half a mile yet I'm still taking a beating.

You all who are or were humping the sand in some foreign land wearing desert fatigues, body armour, 100+ lbs of gear, and an M-16/SAW/BAR, I salute you.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Ran 2.5 miles this morning. I ran at 5AM and it was still unbelievably hot. Indiana is not supposed to get hot.
  • fatchowmein
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Squats
    Pullups
    Overhead Press
  • fatchowmein
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Squats
    Pullups
    Overhead Press

The workout from 8/3 left me toasty toast and I'm finally well rested enough to resume.
  • fatchowmein
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Dips
  • Pycroft
    Pycroft Posts: 1,960
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Ran 3 miles yesterday for the first time in a long time.

Also had a talk with someone that made a lot of sense. He said he didn't put anything in his mouth (Food wise at least) after 5:00 p.m. If you go to bed starving, you always wake up and eat anyway, so no problems. Well, For the last 3 days I haven't had one snack other than a handful of cashews, and nothing to eat or drink, except water, after 5:00 p.m. It's actually easier than I thought it would be. The exercise is really helping my hunger.

James
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Damn, you still riding that over a traditional bike? I can't wait for 50+ days so I can start hitting the mountain bike trails. But for now, literally started today, I'm starting Insanity!
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    edited February 2013
    Options
    This today-

http://www.fitnessgiant.com/e4eolbe1.html#.URz0aqUsmSo
    http://www.fitnessgiant.com/st30olyweset.html#.URz0haUsmSo

I am getting fat. I have not lifted since high school. Time to get my SBM back on. Target weight 265/9% fat. I have no idea of my fat content other than too much lol. Approaching the the 300 mark, 6'4"-I am not obese but feeling my age and I do not like it!. Last MTB trip I took I lost 25.5 lbs in 13 days:cool:422 miles and over 45,000 ft of combined elevation change. (estimate but close traveling from 1300 ft to 6500 ft 6 times with numerous trips and a few overnighter's from base camp to upper elevation lakes. It was 15 miles uphill lol to the restaurant for breakfast. Hell of a good time.

Anyway, Let the fat fly!
    Too much **** to list....
  • goofyGAguy
    goofyGAguy Posts: 545
    edited March 2013
    Options
    12 oz. curls
    My humble setup...

...is no more. :cry:
  • cnh
    edited March 2013
    Options
    SDA1C wrote: »
    This today-

I am getting fat. I have not lifted since high school. Time to get my SBM back on. Target weight 265/9% fat. I have no idea of my fat content other than too much lol. Approaching the the 300 mark, 6'4"-I am not obese but feeling my age and I do not like it!. Last MTB trip I took I lost 25.5 lbs in 13 days:cool:422 miles and over 45,000 ft of combined elevation change. (estimate but close traveling from 1300 ft to 6500 ft 6 times with numerous trips and a few overnighter's from base camp to upper elevation lakes. It was 15 miles uphill lol to the restaurant for breakfast. Hell of a good time.

Anyway, Let the fat fly!

What did you weigh in H.S.? Because that is a pretty good barometer of where you should be even now. I hate to say it but I've been creeping up in weight. Time for another year in CHINA! lol

Even at 6'4" 265 is too HEAVY unless you're built like Lou Ferrigno! Or have a Dinosaur size FRAME!

I'm seriously out of shape myself, but only aerobically. I lift weights a couple of times a week but my weight is still getting up there. Part of that is related to the fact that I had my left Achilles surgically repaired last May and have still not fully recovered. I have about 60-65 percent of the strength I should on that calf and about the same size difference with the right (about a 1/3 or more less mass). I've been told 18-24 months is more like complete recovery time!

But at least I am limping a LOT less these days!

cnh

• Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    edited March 2013
    Options
    SDA1C wrote: »
    This today-

Anyway, Let the fat fly!

I started feeling that way over a year ago. First I started to control my diet. Then started running and biking a minimum of every other day. Plus lifting weights when I can. Lost over 20 lbs and the body is close to where I was at in HS. I haven't felt this good in over 20 years. As my wife would say "It's a lifestyle" that requires persistence and commitment.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I've been restoring my old road bike for a couple of months now, and she's done. I got up this morning, aired up the tires with my new fangled Co2 pump, lubed the chain and free freewheel, and now I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit before I take her out for a shake out ride.

I'm planning on riding 25 miles as long as I don't find a problem.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited March 2013
    Options
    That lasted as long as it took to get to where I was going to start. The end came quickly with another Nashbar tube fail, and that's the end of using Nashbar tubes for me.

I guess I'll go trail riding for a couple of hours instead.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Stick with Bontrager, I have blown a few Nashbar tubes myself you get what you pay for. A 25 mile ride ruined buy a blown tube bummer.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)