Inversion table experience-knowledge anyone?

Options
TECHNOKID
TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
edited June 2010 in The Clubhouse
I have had back problems since 82 or 83, I also had back surgery in 96 I believe. Since then, years went by and aging just made it worse. I also was admitted to the hospital early this year, spend about a month in hospital, lost approximately 30 pounds and had surgery for problems with my intestines. I've been trying to recover since but fact is the weight loss was more likely muscle rather than fat. Since the surgery all of my back problems seemed to have increased by 10 times what they used to be. I've been away from work for over 4 months now and need to strenghten before going back which will more likely be at the end of this month.

Since the conventional medicine doesn't help me except for providing expensive drugs, I decided to check for alternative threathment and when I 've seen the doctor last week he suggested an inversion table. I've checked the net for info, read some inputs from various forums, checked for what was available and compared pricing which ranged from $300 - $800 Cdn. Finally, I opted for the IRON BODY since it was easily available from COSTCO which I felt was my best bet due to their return policy and outstanding service through the years. Unfortunately they didn't seem to carry the quality model I've seen in their store last year and the IRON BODY didn't seem to be as sturdy but after checking on line, similar equipment seemed to be favored so with that in mind and with COSTCO's return policy, it seemed like a no brainer (buy: like = Keeper or dis-like = return).

Now, I've just received it today and to my surprise, the framing was a lot more sturdier than I tought it would be however, I do have a few concerns; The back main frame seems to be rather un-comfortable and the ankle holders are really scary. After putting it togehter, I've started using it and noticed that the leaf spring securing the ankle roller pad would fall of on the one side leaving in place only the ankle roller pad. The maximum weight is also a little scary since it is only 250 pounds max. and therefore pretty close to my former weight of 230 pounds (which I will probably regain soon or later (right now I am at approximately 202)).

Now, is there anyone familiar with this type of equipment that might have some suggestions on:

1. The suggested brand and-or model that is best (As I pointed out, I bought this product with the firm intention of returning it if not adequate).

2. The user manual is more likely focused on assembling and doesn't have much pointers on how to use such equipment and therefore, I welcome any advice on the best use and any warnings or concerns since I want to improve my back rather then worsing it.

3. The amount of time the excersize should last and the increasing frequency.

Yet, I've used it with apparently good results (some of the pain went away. I felt taller and stronger after use) despite the negatives I mentioned. I realize that some getting use to is a must before I feel secure but on the other hand, while this equipment is labelled for people up to 6' 3.5'' my head is probably less than 1' from the ground but still enough to be catastrophic if the mecanisim holding my ankles was to fail :eek: I want to help my back, NOT breaking my neck :(

Anyone that has knowledge and experience of such equipment is more than welcome to share their experience, provide advices and security tips.

Cheers!
TK
DARE TO SOAR:
“Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
Post edited by TECHNOKID on

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I feel for you TK.

I think you bought a great device for your problem. I don't think you need to be 90 degrees to the floor all the time. That problem with what you said with that one part scares me. Maybe a diferent machine is needed.
    Good luck there,
    Tony
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Boy that brings back some not-so-fond memories of when I had chronic back problems. I tried everything up until they suggested surgery, and that's where I said no way. Long story short...I stopped drinking milk and my back problems went away. So I have to ask you...do you drink a lot of milk?

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited June 2010
    Options
    joeparaski wrote: »
    Boy that brings back some not-so-fond memories of when I had chronic back problems. I tried everything up until they suggested surgery, and that's where I said no way. Long story short...I stopped drinking milk and my back problems went away. So I have to ask you...do you drink a lot of milk?

Joe
    Matter of fact, I've been staying away from dairy products as much as possible and seeing the doctor last week re-confirmed that and furthermore, I will even have to stop using cream in the coffee :( This week, I've been on a totally different diet; According to the doctor along with dairy products, I have to avoid ALL meats, I have to eat fishes, leguminous plants and eggs. I am also taking some natural products (vitamines and metals) to strenghten my body which is totally out of wack since the operation (thus the reason for my back and joints excessive pain).
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited June 2010
    Options
    How long has it been since you stopped the dairy products? Myself, I couldn't believe it when this old chiropractor told me to do this, but I figured I had nothing to lose and I ran out of options (other than surgery). I saw the results about 4 months later, my back was now straight and the pain was gone. I owe that old guy my life.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Back problems here too. Sorry,can't help ya on the table but what works for my back is.....swimming. Sounds weird,but when I get out of the pool,it's like I received a new back. Try it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • TECHNOKID
    edited June 2010
    Options
    joeparaski wrote: »
    How long has it been since you stopped the dairy products? Myself, I couldn't believe it when this old chiropractor told me to do this, but I figured I had nothing to lose and I ran out of options (other than surgery). I saw the results about 4 months later, my back was now straight and the pain was gone. I owe that old guy my life.

Joe
    Same here Joe, nothing to lose and hopefully everything to gain. I've been moderate on dairy produces for a few years now (mainly cream in the coffee). My coffee drinking habit is very moderate now (I don't drink coffee at home and I've been on sick leave for over 4 months now and rarely go out of the house). As I pointed out, the doctor gave me my new diet last week so been fully cleaned of dairy products for only maybe 10 days now.

tonyb says: Back problems here too. Sorry,can't help ya on the table but what works for my back is.....swimming. Sounds weird,but when I get out of the pool,it's like I received a new back. Try it.
    Nothing silly there Tony, swimming is the best exercise of all. When I first hurt my back I had to stop the daily running and replaced with swimming and it was great. Luckily, we have a new sport complex that's been built for the summer games and it apparently will be open this week to the public. I was waiting on that since there is an competition type pool. I want to get back to swimming, the only thing that I am not too keen about is showing the 7'' scar on my big gut :o

I also get massage therapy about once a week but I am not sure how long I will be able to afford this (out of personal pocket), when talking to my employer he mentioned he no longer have us insured with the insurance company I use to submit my claims as he joined another company and did not enrolled me (not sure if he tought I wasn't going back or maybe he couldn't since I was already claiming for sickness).

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the back problems TK. I have a number of friends who've gotten worse after back surgery? Not an exact science if you know what I mean. Recently, my father-in-law was advised to have some surgery for his back. He's 85 and lives in Chicago. After consulting as a family we decided to take him to the Chiropractor who treats the Chicago Bears Football team? After about 4 weeks with this guy, adjustments and deep massage...what was considered an absolute surgery...does not look so necessary anymore. That's my advice.

I'm thinking of looking into inversion tables myself when I return. My back is not horrible but it can get stiff. One thing I can tell you is that I have been a lot LESS stiff in Beijing because I am FORCED to take one small cortico-steroid tablet a day here to keep my Eczema under control..as a result I feel 10-15 years younger. Of course these drugs aren't good for you and I will cease the practise when I return to good old, less polluted, more HUMID New England!

You say 6'3.5" is not enough....How tall are you--because that should accommodate most people??

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i'm gonna need to hear more about this ban on dairy. i would have thought the opposite be the case. i wonder if this may help me and my back. what is it exactly in dairy that is detrimental to the bones. i always thought calcium = good. except that anything in excess cannot be a good thing.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    edited June 2010
    Options
    TK
    You might want to look into reverse hyper machines since core strength is
    imperative for a healthy lower back. Developed and patented by powerlifter
    Louie Simmons after he suffered a back injury.
  • Pappy1
    Pappy1 Posts: 63
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Hi TK!

I feel like you and I are physically related - similar issues.

I'm male, 6' 3", and 178 lbs. I have been very active in strenuous sports, weight lifting, etc. all of my life, along with what I thought was a healthy diet/lifestyle, so I was surprised when I began having discomfort in my lower back and then suffered a cracked rib during a freestyle wrestling workout with my oldest.

For what they are worth, here are my thoughts/research/personal experiences:

I have somewhat of a swayed back and have also learned that I have osteoporosis (low bone density - go figure). For the back discomfort I also tried an inversion table through COSTCO 3 years ago. From my research regarding inversion I learned that you have to slowly increase the angle of inversion day-by-day, and only if you don't experience any undo pain (as opposed to simply some discomfort). When you do get to 90 degrees you typically shouldn't hold that position for more than a minute or two (your situation may call for a longer or shorter time interval). My body, overall, felt better with the “body stretch” that inversion provided, but my very low back would tend to bend toward my heels causing pain. I therefore could not continue to use the table because it hurt my back (I also have some lower vertebrae disc issues). I tried to find an inversion chair (they are supposed to be helpful for people with my swayed back) but didn't have much luck. Bottom line - from everything I've read and my personal experience, inversion is helpful in relieving back pain, allowing your discs to hydrate more effectively.

My wife and I are also on a reduced animal products/maximum plant matter diet. Emphasizing green plant matter, sensible vitamin and mineral supplements, and lots of water, has helped my wife's and my joint issues, including my back. For my bones (osteoporosis) I also take calcium tablets with every meal (I don't know how this would work for someone who was prone to kidney stones though). Dairy is bad for a lot of us, including my wife. Some folks like my wife have a high intolerance to lactose. This high intolerance manifests itself in much stomach pain for her. Dairy can also contribute to other health issues, so we limit dairy in our home. My wife and I try to stay active (walking together, doing Pilates, and as much weight lifting as seems prudent). I'm improving (except for falling and separating my right shoulder two months ago).

I'm a believer in massage therapy. Issues with my hip forced me to go through two rounds of physical therapy with no improvement. I later found a massage therapist, and as my students would say, “It's all good!” (well almost – its getting there). The massage therapy is painful at times, but it has helped not only my hip, but also my lower back and my separated shoulder. (In fact, I'm leaving home for another session in about 90 minutes.) Like you, my treatments are not covered by my insurance.

Having said all of this, for what it's worth, I'm in agreement with your plan of action. If swimming was more accessible to me I would also include it. It is probably a good idea to abstain from any activities that would jar your skeleton (horseback riding, motocross racing,... (maybe even running).

I feel for you. I wish that we lived in close proximity, then we could exercise together and encourage each other to stay with our “diets”.

Having health and family issues sure helps me to recognize what is important in this life.

Best Wishes,

Pappy1
  • TECHNOKID
    edited June 2010
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the back problems TK. I have a number of friends who've gotten worse after back surgery? Not an exact science if you know what I mean. Recently, my father-in-law was advised to have some surgery for his back. He's 85 and lives in Chicago. After consulting as a family we decided to take him to the Chiropractor who treats the Chicago Bears Football team? After about 4 weeks with this guy, adjustments and deep massage...what was considered an absolute surgery...does not look so necessary anymore. That's my advice.

I'm thinking of looking into inversion tables myself when I return. My back is not horrible but it can get stiff. One thing I can tell you is that I have been a lot LESS stiff in Beijing because I am FORCED to take one small cortico-steroid tablet a day here to keep my Eczema under control..as a result I feel 10-15 years younger. Of course these drugs aren't good for you and I will cease the practise when I return to good old, less polluted, more HUMID New England!

You say 6'3.5" is not enough....How tall are you--because that should accommodate most people??
    cnh
    I wish I could have consulted with a chiropractor back then but unfortunately the Canadian Forces wouldn't allow it and threathened not to cover me medically if I did, I bet I could also have been charged (apparently they now allow it). In mid 90s I was unfortunately operated since my wife of the time had connections with the surgeons of the hospital she worked in Ontario. Arthitis had already started to built up in the affected area and the surgeon had to scrape that of along with cutting off the bulging areas of the 2 discs. It seems like (with what I know today) that he had been better off removing them completely and fused the vertebras (my father went through this earlier in his life and didn't seem to be as much affected as I am now). I ha a few years break (relief) after the operation but with time arthitis is now back big time.

I actually am 6' 2'' and I tried the table to the max and ajusted down from there. I realised the best adjustment was at 6' 1'' since at 6' 2 a reinforcing bar at the lower back area was very uncomfortable along with my head sitting on the top part of the main frame therefore, it was very uncomfortable at that position. The point is that the height limit and especially the weight limit are being too close for my stature. The frame it self seems very sturdy but I still worry that I weigh too much for the equipment (who knows, maybe just physcological??). The equipment limits doesn't allow enough end play for personal adjustment in my case and therefore hard to make the table confortable for me. My head is also very closed to the ground if I go 180 degrees (somewhat scary :o ).
    BIZILL wrote: »
    i'm gonna need to hear more about this ban on dairy. i would have thought the opposite be the case. i wonder if this may help me and my back. what is it exactly in dairy that is detrimental to the bones. i always thought calcium = good. except that anything in excess cannot be a good thing.
    BIZILL, first we should agree that most dairy product today are for from being natural as they are processed and full of additives. Basically, when the doctor discussed what I should and should not eat, the main reasons was food containing acids (which accentuates the pain). Any meats even poultry and dairy products (that includes cheese, which I realized my self how bad it was) were to be replaced with fish, eggs and leguminus plants (which are good alternatives for the needed proteins the body needs), natural yougourt is also part of my good to eat list. IE: Herbivorous or grass eating animals are healthy without meats or dairy products. They naturally know exactly what to get from nature to be strong and healthy. Oh, by the way, rafinated sugar products are also suppose to be bad (I sometime cheat in that area, stay from cakes and most cadies but have a hard time to stay away from chocolate :o )
    Malbec wrote: »
    TK
    You might want to look into reverse hyper machines since core strength is
    imperative for a healthy lower back. Developed and patented by powerlifter
    Louie Simmons after he suffered a back injury.
    Thank you Malbec, I'll search them out. By the way, welcome to Club Polk :) I hope you can use the knowledge this fine site can provide on the audio video hobby. Many knowledgeable and passionate people around here!
    Pappy1 wrote: »
    Hi TK!

...I'm male, 6' 3", and 178 lbs. I have been very active in strenuous sports, weight lifting, etc. all of my life, along with what I thought was a healthy diet/lifestyle, so I was surprised when I began having discomfort in my lower back and then suffered a cracked rib during a freestyle wrestling workout with my oldest.

...a swayed back and have also learned that I have osteoporosis... ...I also tried an inversion table through COSTCO 3 years ago. ...regarding inversion I learned that you have to slowly increase the angle of inversion day-by-day, and only if you don't experience any undo pain (as opposed to simply some discomfort). When you get to 90 degrees you shouldn't hold that position for more than a minute or two ... My body, overall, felt better with the “body stretch” that inversion provided, but my very low back would tend to bend toward my heels causing pain. I therefore could not continue to use the table because it hurt my back (I have lower vertebrae disc issues)... Bottom line - from everything I've read and my personal experience, inversion is helpful in relieving back pain, allowing your discs to hydrate more effectively. ...

...For my bones (osteoporosis) I also take calcium tablets with every meal... Dairy is bad for a lot of us, including my wife. Some folks like my wife have a high intolerance to lactose. This high intolerance manifests itself in much stomach pain for her. Dairy can also contribute to other health issues, so we limit dairy in our home. My wife and I try to stay active (walking together, doing Pilates, and as much weight lifting as seems prudent). I'm improving...

I'm a believer in massage therapy. Issues with my hip forced me to go through two rounds of physical therapy with no improvement. I later found a massage therapist, and as my students would say, “It's all good!”... The massage therapy is painful at times, but it has helped not only my hip, but also my lower back and my separated shoulder... Like you, my treatments are not covered by my insurance.

...I'm in agreement with your plan of action. If swimming was more accessible to me I would also include it. It is probably a good idea to abstain from any activities that would jar your skeleton (horseback riding, motocross racing,... even running.

I feel for you. I wish that we lived in close proximity, then we could exercise together and encourage each other to stay with our “diets”.

Having health and family issues sure helps me to recognize what is important in this life.

Best Wishes,

Pappy1
    Great informative post Pappy1 :)

I wish I could be in the same weight area as you are at my age as it would definitely relieve my back. I lost a good 30 pounds while in hospital but unfortunately it was more muscle lost than fat :( My goal would be to go back to about 185 - 190, gaining some muscle back while loosing the fat. My family doctor doesn't agree, he thinks that is not possible. However, if I can beat the intense back and neck aches, I'll definitely try to prove him wrong.

Both my sons are in their mid 20s and still enjoy wrestling with their dad, they don't believe that I am on a down slope while theirs is going up and that the only reason they don't win over dad is psycological in their case (the father is always the strongest to them) along with some pride on my side. I wish the three of us would admit reality :o Since my last hospitalisation and surgery my oldest went totally the opposite (my sons only been used to see their dad strong no matter what) and started to threath me almost like cripled so I had to put a stop to that.

Thanks on the advices on how to use the inversion table, that is exactly what I was looking since I realize going over board will only make it worse instead of better. Being active (wisely realizing my limits) and good eating habits will definitely be of great help, thus the swimming (which is the best work out for all muscles without excessive pain). Some proper massage therapy is also helping me but we have to realize that to be effective, it does hurt and is a long process. At least, I finally woke up and realized spending good money on my aging body is a sound investment (I never dared considered that when raising the family as they had priority).

Now on a different note, I am not too keen about TV marketting but the so called Dr Ho offers an air belt which I believe would be good to relieve the stress while working and in back pain since it does similar to the inversion table.

http://www.drhonow.com/decompression-belt-how-it-works.php

By the way, I've just ordered it while searching for the site, I'll provide my impressions once I try it.

(Sorry I had to cut a lot of the text on OP since CP wouldn't allow for that much text)
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Not worth your time.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • cnh
    edited June 2010
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Not worth your time.

I agree! Would you trust a Doctor called HO? lol

[BTW..there is a certain irony here because people call me Dr. He (Ho) in China)?]

cnh

• John30_30
    John30_30 Posts: 1,024
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I fell 8 foot backward off a scaffold almost 30 years ago and landed back-first on a pile of masonry rocks. It hurt like hell, as you can imagine, but the really stupid thing I did after that was to not seek medical help or file a workman's comp claim ( the contractor was begging me, since he didn't carry it, which was totally illegal)
    I figured if I was lucky enough not to get a screwdriver or hammer driven through my body, and if I could walk away from it, I'd be okay. Did I mention my stupidity factor was off the chart?

The pain did go away after a few days and didn't return until I overdid it several years later using a wrecking bar to move an icehouse.
    No insurance in those days, I went to a local chiropractor who had done work in that capacity for the U.S. Olympic team. He did some X-rays and found a fractured vertebrae that had somewhat healed, but there was compression on the nerve. What he had was a horizontal stretcher that looked like some hi-tech mechanized torture implement. It was great.
    He didn't use one of those gravity frames, but recommended I get one. That and use ice to cool the lower back muscles which were doing the actual pain. When I'd work, those muscles would expand and enlarge as muscles do, and compress the nerve.
    The chiropractor didn't exactly recommend surgery (that's anathema for them), but he did say I might consider it if the pain got worse.

I built one for myself a few years later out of oak and a piece of 3/4 x 22" x 7' plywood. Made a yoke for my ankles and ran a wide leather belt across that to hold my feet in. The board just pivots on a steel bar so I get a nice 60 degree vertical incline. Just hook up and hang.
    I haven't needed it for years, it sits in the shed, but when I did, it was great for stretching the spine, reverse-gravity.
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    edited June 2010
    Options
    acupuncture helped me best with my back pain....I seriously considered getting those machines but never could handle the size of them....everyone reacts differently to different treatments

get to know a good chiropractor....they are a lifesaver....I don't pay co-payment with mine making it even better..

you could put cinder blocks on the feet of the inversion table to raise it higher....
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • Pappy1
    Pappy1 Posts: 63
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Hi again TK,

I'm with you. I too believe that investing in our "aging" bodies is a good idea. My feeling is that as husbands and fathers we owe it to our families to be there for them as long as we can.

Your comments regarding acidic foods agree with the research, both in books and on the internet, that my wife and I have made. Once we began limiting our acidic food intake we started feeling better.

Yesterday's massage therapy session reminded me again how important it is to my overall health and activity level. I'm going to continue to get treatment as long as I need it or until I can't afford it. It has made a tremendous difference in my quality of life.

My recommendation: stay with your fat loss/muscle gain program.

Best Wishes,

Pappy1
  • TECHNOKID
    edited June 2010
    Options
    John30_30 wrote: »
    I fell 8 foot backward off a scaffold almost 30 years ago and landed back-first on a pile of masonry rocks. It hurt like hell, as you can imagine, but the really stupid thing I did after that was to not seek medical help or file a workman's comp claim ( the contractor was begging me, since he didn't carry it, which was totally illegal)
    I figured if I was lucky enough not to get a screwdriver or hammer driven through my body, and if I could walk away from it, I'd be okay. Did I mention my stupidity factor was off the chart?

The pain did go away after a few days and didn't return until I overdid it several years later using a wrecking bar to move an icehouse.
    No insurance in those days, I went to a local chiropractor who had done work in that capacity for the U.S. Olympic team. He did some X-rays and found a fractured vertebrae that had somewhat healed, but there was compression on the nerve. What he had was a horizontal stretcher that looked like some hi-tech mechanized torture implement. It was great.
    He didn't use one of those gravity frames, but recommended I get one. That and use ice to cool the lower back muscles which were doing the actual pain. When I'd work, those muscles would expand and enlarge as muscles do, and compress the nerve.
    The chiropractor didn't exactly recommend surgery (that's anathema for them), but he did say I might consider it if the pain got worse.

I built one for myself a few years later out of oak and a piece of 3/4 x 22" x 7' plywood. Made a yoke for my ankles and ran a wide leather belt across that to hold my feet in. The board just pivots on a steel bar so I get a nice 60 degree vertical incline. Just hook up and hang.
    I haven't needed it for years, it sits in the shed, but when I did, it was great for stretching the spine, reverse-gravity.
    devani wrote: »
    acupuncture helped me best with my back pain....I seriously considered getting those machines but never could handle the size of them....everyone reacts differently to different treatments

get to know a good chiropractor....they are a lifesaver....I don't pay co-payment with mine making it even better..

you could put cinder blocks on the feet of the inversion table to raise it higher....
    Your lucky, it could have been a lot worse. My brother in law felt from scaffold too (the board underneat him fell and brought the poor man down with him), he's been paralized for close to 25 years now. Lately I heard his health was really degrading, he is in his early 60s and might not have much time left :(

You should post pics of that DIY table for fun :) I tought of building one but not too ''workfull'' these days with the healing after surgery so I simply bought it and simply tought I would return it if it wasn't proper but so far so good.
    Pappy1 wrote: »
    Hi again TK,

I'm with you. I too believe that investing in our "aging" bodies is a good idea. My feeling is that as husbands and fathers we owe it to our families to be there for them as long as we can.

Your comments regarding acidic foods agree with the research, both in books and on the internet, that my wife and I have made. Once we began limiting our acidic food intake we started feeling better.

Yesterday's massage therapy session reminded me again how important it is to my overall health and activity level. I'm going to continue to get treatment as long as I need it or until I can't afford it. It has made a tremendous difference in my quality of life.

My recommendation: stay with your fat loss/muscle gain program.

Best Wishes,

Pappy1
    The food habit changes are a little hard, not too keen about fish (not near the ocean and can not buy real fresh fish. I am starting to be a little sick of eating legiminous and eggs. I cheated today (after massage therapy), I went to an International buffet, control the amount a little, took lots from the salad bar to fill me up as much as possible and then had small portions of the goodies (including desert).

I went over our brand new sport complex (thanks to the Quebec summer games, the good incentive for Gatineau to get it builted :cool: ) today and will manage to pay the dues for the year. Amazing, I've seen at least 3 pools down below and its now open to local residents. I haven't seen the exercise area but will try to take care of that tommorow after I get my city card. I hope their are some trainers on site as I would like to get a program for my specific needs.

(Doro & Cnh);
    By the way, I did buy the belt and have 30 days to return it if I don't like. I personnally think it might be good to relieve pain while away from home (work, travel etc...). If it actually does relieve the pressure it should be very handy tool. I don't have much to losse and maybe everything to gain ;)

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2010
    Options
    TK - By all means, try whatever you want and feel may help you. It's just an opinion. I wish you the best and am no stranger to back issues.....sniff sniff, I thought I was alone :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I've been using a friends inversion table, and it does seem to relieve pain, but absolutely no permanent improvement (studies have also shown this). I was told by my surgeon, and my Doctor (DO) that due to the condition/healing of my neck after surgery, I am not to exceed 45 degrees. They say only about 30 degrees is needed to stretch out the joints. This means the table has to lock into position (also great for exercise), not sure if your's does that or not.

As far as chiropractors? Bunch of quacks if you ask me. They take x-rays, which don't really show anything at all with discs etc., and then start manipulating your spine without really knowing what's wrong at all. I had minor neck pain until a chiropractor started working on it, then it got severe. My disc was ruptured 3/4's of the way around, pinching both nerves and my spinal chord, of course he had no way of knowing that, not being a real doctor, or doing any real diagnosis. I'm lucky he didn't paralyze me for life.

Have you had an MRI lately?
  • John30_30
    edited June 2010
    Options
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    Your lucky, it could have been a lot worse. My brother in law felt from scaffold too (the board underneat him fell and brought the poor man down with him), he's been paralized for close to 25 years now. Lately I heard his health was really degrading, he is in his early 60s and might not have much time left :(

You should post pics of that DIY table for fun :) I tought of building one but not too ''workfull'' these days with the healing after surgery so I simply bought it and simply tought I would return it if it wasn't proper but so far so good.

TK

Yeah, the board gave on me too. That's when you pray fast and serious.
    I knew I was lucky. Maybe that's why I didn't file a claim like I should have.
    I learned later a drywall texture guy the week before had fallen on the same rig,but only fell forward onto the scaffold board. Broke ribs, busted lungs. I feel for you brother-in-law, because that easily could have been me.
    I took some pics of the inversion board I made, but keep in mind it's stuck in the shed is why all the insulation and junk piled around it. If you need a description of how it works, I'll be happy to provide that. Pretty simple, actually.

2lmmjh5.jpg
  • TECHNOKID
    edited June 2010
    Options
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    I've been using a friends inversion table, and it does seem to relieve pain, but absolutely no permanent improvement (studies have also shown this). I was told by my surgeon, and my Doctor (DO) that due to the condition/healing of my neck after surgery, I am not to exceed 45 degrees. They say only about 30 degrees is needed to stretch out the joints. This means the table has to lock into position (also great for exercise), not sure if your's does that or not.

As far as chiropractors? Bunch of quacks if you ask me. They take x-rays, which don't really show anything at all with discs etc., and then start manipulating your spine without really knowing what's wrong at all. I had minor neck pain until a chiropractor started working on it, then it got severe. My disc was ruptured 3/4's of the way around, pinching both nerves and my spinal chord, of course he had no way of knowing that, not being a real doctor, or doing any real diagnosis. I'm lucky he didn't paralyze me for life.

Have you had an MRI lately?
    Yes, the inversion table should be threated like any exercising equipmenet meaning not abused and used properly. Start slowly and increase according to your own body. As far as chyropractor goes, there are mix feelings on that one. Some people report improvement and some report deterioration. It's a fact that only Xrays are useless as they will not show herniated discs. Actually I did get another MRI few weeks ago, my family doctor hasn't got back to me yet. All his taiking about is pain killers and once you get older maybe some plastic kness and **** of the sort thus the reason for seeking alternate solutions. The damage is done but it doesn't stop one from doing the few little things to at least improve the quality of life. Do the stretching when pressure is too painfull, exercise and strenghten the muscle around the weak area. I think the neck is worse than the lower back, headaches and feeling so helpless.

Mark, I think the statistices are 1 out of 5 people are to experience back pain in their lifetime so yes we are not alone ;)

John30_30, well done! Simple and efficient however your angling is pretty drastic and you could have possibly hurted your self (depending on the seriousness of the vetebra and disc damage). Like I pointed out, like any exercise equipment the inversion table should be a step by step slow process.

By the way, I bought some round foam to fit on the leg holding rods and installed that today in lieu of the stupid and useless harness that were popping out. I've tested that, much more comfortable and efficient. I feel a lot more secure going down knowning my hankles are secured in place, in fact I also felt the stretching in the hankles too now.

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You may also want to do as others have suggested, and start swimming, its a great way to increase your muscles. That way as you do your inversion, you will have well strengthened muscles as they stretch.
    Plus, you weigh nothing in water. So, that's a plus.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • John30_30
    edited June 2010
    Options

John30_30, well done! Simple and efficient however your angling is pretty drastic and you could have possibly hurted your self (depending on the seriousness of the vetebra and disc damage). Like I pointed out, like any exercise equipment the inversion table should be a step by step slow process.

Cheers!
    TK

TK, the only reason I built it was for just lying on it, no exercising, just letting gravity work in reverse effect. I'd seen some others so I figured that angle was about right. I guessed around 60 degrees, then made the triangle as equilateral as I could. Lag bolts and I think I mortised in the 3 cross-stretcher supports, nothing fancy.
    The rope loops are seated in notches in the uprights, so you just hang on to the rope and let your body and the board tip down, or use a spotter to hold it while you're prone on the board.
    My wife did the upholstery, btw., so it's foam padded.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I purchased a Inversion table a few years ago. back then my back would hurt me almost everyday after a long day of work or if I went out with the family and walked around all day like at the mall or a theme park. Today a few years later my back doesn't bother me as much. The Inversion table made a huge difference. I use it a few times a week for only a few minutes at a time. Longest is about 15 minutes per time.

I also do Tai Chi and Yoga which also makes a huge difference. Do light core strengthening with something of your pace. It will make all the difference in the world.
    I also ride mountain bikes probably 1 to 2 times a week. I go for about 10 to 30 miles per ride. Short rides are 5 to 10 miles. I ride on hard pack and walkways in parks or my friends and I go deep into the woods on some technical trails which gives a killer core workout twisting and turning. I suggest riding a bike on or off road. It also makes a difference.

Drink more water. Sounds trivial but it also helps keep things loose and working.

I got my table at Dicks sporting goods , it looks a lot like the one in your pic.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited June 2010
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    I purchased a Inversion table a few years ago. back then my back would hurt me almost everyday after a long day of work or if I went out with the family and walked around all day like at the mall or a theme park. Today a few years later my back doesn't bother me as much. The Inversion table made a huge difference. I use it a few times a week for only a few minutes at a time. Longest is about 15 minutes per time.

I also do Tai Chi and Yoga which also makes a huge difference. Do light core strengthening with something of your pace. It will make all the difference in the world.
    I also ride mountain bikes probably 1 to 2 times a week. I go for about 10 to 30 miles per ride. Short rides are 5 to 10 miles. I ride on hard pack and walkways in parks or my friends and I go deep into the woods on some technical trails which gives a killer core workout twisting and turning. I suggest riding a bike on or off road. It also makes a difference.

Drink more water. Sounds trivial but it also helps keep things loose and working.

I got my table at Dicks sporting goods , it looks a lot like the one in your pic.
    Well that is good news! I was hoping you'd chime in since it seems you're the only one that mentioned of an inversion table on this site (after search). However the main core of your discussion was buying a car. So I wasn't too sure if you actually bought it or not. It is therefore good news that you can comment on it from experience. While I have a long way to go, I think it already has started to do some good. I try to use it for a minute or 2 when getting up and before going to bed. Since I am presently off work I also use it in the same fashion as soon as I feel pain and it really seems to be effective. Since I had surgery and there also arthritis I thought maybe it would be worse splitting the affected vertebra's but it is not really the case, quite the opposite.

As far as exercising, tomorrow I am taking measures to get the city access card to our new sport and fitness center. I will start regular swimming and try to develop a fitness program tailored for my self in the training room in order to strengthen the muscles that I've lost during hospitalization. Biking? Not too sure, as I had to quit using my fitness cycle a few years ago since it was painful and worsening my situation. Once I gain some strength, I might try the fitness cycle again and if it is feasible maybe then I can think of cycling in the city's bike path. Drinking lots of water is definitely a good thing and I have a water cooler which I keep adding the bottles to regularly.

Thanks for your insight!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The inversion tables have been proven to be short term solutions for a chronic prolem. The relief typically only lasts minutes after getting off of the table. As soon as gravity works again and the spine compresses, typically pain returns. Not saying they don't work; its just that thue only work for the time period that you are actually on the tale. They do nothing to "educate" the muscles of the back and do nothing to provide a viable "fix" to back pain. There have been many gimmicks for back pain over the years; the latest being the DRX9000.

Plain and simple, from someone who has 15 years of experience in sports medicine and rehabbing these types of injuries and 3 back surgeries (including fusion), there is absolutely no sustitute for a properly regimented therapy / core stabiliazation program that becomes part of your daily routine. In the time that you hang on the inversion table, you could complete your home therapy. You won't see immediate results (probably take at least 3-4 weeks to start felling improvements) and it takes commitment, but worth it in the long run.

Also, just a word to the wise. Do not take the advise of a gym employed personal trainer to set you up on a strengthening protocol for your back. It is my sincere advice that you visit a physical therapist or some other professional who is familiar with your type on injury and how to properly address it to set you up on a protocol.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • cnh
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I have to agree with the idea of 'core' strengthening exercises. My father, who lived into his mid-80s did hundreds of reps of these kinds of exercises every day of his life...he 'never' had any serious back problems, walked around, up till the end like a 50 year old? Swimming is OK! But I'd have to agree that a more 'targeted' program would work much better. I've tried swimming and it actually Fs up my KNEES and aggravates an old shoulder injury? So every time I hear how great swimming is I have to smile? I actually injure myself LESS with free weights?

I'm also following this discussion because an inversion table is in my future...not simply or solely for the back...but for stretching and flexibility and to reverse the blood flow regularly.

cnh

• TECHNOKID
    edited June 2010
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    I have to agree with the idea of 'core' strengthening exercises. My father, who lived into his mid-80s did hundreds of reps of these kinds of exercises every day of his life...he 'never' had any serious back problems, walked around, up till the end like a 50 year old? Swimming is OK! But I'd have to agree that a more 'targeted' program would work much better. I've tried swimming and it actually Fs up my KNEES and aggravates an old shoulder injury? So every time I hear how great swimming is I have to smile? I actually injure myself LESS with free weights?

I'm also following this discussion because an inversion table is in my future...not simply or solely for the back...but for stretching and flexibility and to reverse the blood flow regularly.

cnh
    I haven't used the inversion table for long enough to say how positive it is yet but still I am already feeling some benifits. Mantis post is welcomed since he had the opportunity to use it for a longer period and he is reporting positive improvement. I found that once in better shape the inversion table could also be used for some exercising just like the inversion booths. You can actually work out the abdomen muscles. I had to stop doing set-ups (along with push-ups) few years ago since they were hurting me rather than helping. Doing similar with the inversion table doesn't seem to be hurtfull compared to set-ups (I guess because of the discs extension not grinding against each other). I fully agree that simply using the inversion table isn't sufficient and that good muscle training plan is a must. Swimming always has been good to me, I actually and successfully replaced my jugging sessions with swimming when I originally hurted my back. I also mentioned I intend to use the gym along with the pool. Of course Shawn is right when speaking about being carefull about chosing your trainer. However, I can simply not see doctors or any physicians of conventional medicine to be of any help in this case. I honestly believe they are the worse, provide dangerous prescribed chemicals as solution to relieve the pain along with butchery operations. Physiotherapy is a big waste of time, chyropractors have debatable results (some positive some negative). I wish Shawn could elaborate a little more on view according to his professional experience.
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited June 2010
    Options
    However, I can simply not see doctors or any physicians of conventional medicine to be of any help in this case. I honestly believe they are the worse, provide dangerous prescribed chemicals as solution to relieve the pain along with butchery operations. Physiotherapy is a big waste of time, chyropractors have debatable results (some positive some negative). I wish Shawn could elaborate a little more on view according to his professional experience.

I will save my personal views from a lot of what you said as it directly relates to a culture of quick fixes and wanting instant gratification as well as calling into question the profession in which I work.........

Honestly, my professional experience tells me just the opposite of your post. Obviously, you need to do your homework before just opening up the yellow pages. I have had the opportunity to work with many physicians and surgeons, most of whom are considered leaders in their field. Problem is that one bad visit or a bad day or a patient that disagrees with their course of action gives them a bad rep. If you, as a patient, go into a doctor office, offer no real substance to the evaluation and are looking for a quick fix, you get just that. A quick evaluation, some medication and a pat on the back with "See you in 2 weeks if you're not feeling better." Likewise, if said patient is set on getting surgery and the surgeon recommends a 6 week course of formalized physical therapy, many times that patient then shops around topo next guy who does the surgery immediately. it's not right or wrong, it's a different opinion that can be argued both ways. I could go on and on with the scenarios.

Simply, physicians are paid for the volume of patients that they see. Surgeons are paid for the amount of surgeries that they perform. It's your responsibility as the patient to have all of your questions answered (satisfactorily) and leave being involved in the plan of action.

I wholeheartedly disagree that physiotherapy is a big waste of time. It's laziness and people unwilling to put in actual work to get better that fails moreso than the actual therapy. Chiropractors have their niche - I personally don't use them long term for philosophical reasons. I feel that manual adjustment in the acute phase can be beneficial, but doing so long term does nothing to correct that actual problem. Posture control, manual therapy, core exercises provide long term benefit at little to no cost except time and effort - many are not willing to invest that. Some of those dangerous chemicals that you reference allow people to live relatively normal day to day lives whereas without them would be in constant pain. Are they overused? Sure they are, but because a doctor recommends them doesn't mean you have to take them. "Butchery operations"? What exactly are we talking about here? Is there one procedure in mind that you consider butchery? I had a microdiscectomy that failed and a lumbar fusion. I will need further procedures in the future due to the amount of degeneration and damage. However without the procedures, I was walking around in daily pain, unable to play with my kids, couldn't do the everyday tasks that we take for granted. The operations gave that back to me. With daily exercises, an occassional need for advil or a muscle relaxer if I overdo it and the trust of my treating doctors, I have had the best 5 years of my life.

I do understand where you are coming from and if I could get on my soapbox a bit I would say that there are doctors out there who see patients as patients (dollar signs) and not as people (living breathing people who are there for help). Involving yourself in the process and being informed and educated, asking the right questions, giving all information and then some, not havin a preconcieved notion of what you are going to get when you go to the doctor, etc. are all ways to have a mutual plan of action. If, during your visit, you don't feel as though the doctor is listening to you or the bedside manner is bad, then leave and find another person to go to. All too often, we have the sniffles, go to the doctor and ask for antibiotics. They give them to us because it's easier to do that than to fight with the patients and ask them to do some home remedies (sleep more, eat better, etc.) and see how you feel in a few days. We all want the quick fix and convenience - nature of our society. However, this is a double edged sword. I would prefer to go to a 2pm doctor appointment and not see him until 430pm. MOst would say that's inconvenient, unprofessional, BS, etc. I don't care because that tells me that he is backed up in his day spending more time with his patients, really listening to them and answering any and all questions, making sure you're comfortable with the plan. (Of course, there are exceptions).

I'll get off my soapbox now;). If you have any specific questions or need any advice, I am happy to help. I would need to know a lot more about your specific condition and such. But, happy to help in any way that I can.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4