Your land speed record?

Options

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited November 2001
    Options
    fastest ever was on an old hurricane 1000, the bike of choice back in it's day. top speed 132.

in a vehicle, it was 112 on 95 southbound, through most of connecticut and NY. driving home from school in providence, RI to lancaster, PA. from 1 am to 5 am. normally a 5 and half hour trip(7 hours for my parents who do the spped limit), that nite, i made it in four. kept it in the 3 digit zone pretty much the whole way home. got lucky, no tickets. although i've gotten 3 other in conneticut on 95 at other times driving to/from school.
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Chris---What he said looked innocent to me...
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2001
    Options
    One time, I went Plad:)

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Nice one, Ron!

Aaron
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Aaron
    Thanks for the inspiration! When I went out today I took the Viper instead of the Mustang. Well I decided to push it all the way to 175 MPH,what a freakin blast. There is a nice 4 lane road with a grass divider and no traffic, a perfect place. I didn't even see one car much less a cop. It has a loooong straight streach. If it was not for those words you said it would have stayed in the garage. Anyway it handeled great. It does have a couple mods in the computer, brakes, exhaust, and suspencion with more to come N²O, a supercharger or turbo would sure give a kick.
    Chris
    Chris :)
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited November 2001
    Options
    i think someone needs to take a pin to there head.

scott:cool:
  • Aaron
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Man! Sounds like you had some fun! Heheh. That's pretty freakin' fast. At least you (and the car) are still in one piece. I'd hate to take credit for a Chris-Viper pancake.

Aaron
  • CHRIS
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I love speed. I do it with my other cars not as fast but still in the danger zone. You just got me to test this one.
    BTW how often do you go to LBI? Has it changed much in the last 7 years? That was the last time I was there and thing were growing then.
    Chris
  • Aaron
    edited November 2001
    Options
    ....it's changed. It always seems to be in a constant state of change. Nothing dramatic, I don't think. I haven't been getting down there that much in recent years because of college.

Aaron
  • eaadams
    eaadams Posts: 213
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I've gone fast in other cars. but what I'm most proud of is taking my Ford 2dr 1992 Explorer to the overdrive letter "D" . (the speado only goes to 80)

:D
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2001
    Options
    135mph in a beefed up '79 Camaro on an Arizona straight-away.:D
    Make it Funky! :)
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited November 2001
    Options
    You have a viper? Come on! Tell me one I haven't heard before.

~JB
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I did 135 mph on my old 1976 Ford Maverick (on I-35 N, on the way to MPLS); the tire blew up, did several 360 dgr turns and ended up in the dig (the car didn't turn over, almost those). Hey, I'm so proud of your guys, great posts, as long as we don't discuss car audio in here, we are in the right track...
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I did 55mph on my bicycle once.

At a desert bike race in Palm Springs, down hill, with a tail wind. I was riding next to a guy with a speenometer on his bike. That was freeky.

If...
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited November 2001
    Options
    speaking of blown tires i was with my friend last winter and we were headed up to michigan to his moms house and all of a sudden the tire started vibrating real bad. i said dude we better turn around and check it out. it felt like a belt in the tire broke.
    but like a dumb **** he kept going and about 10 miles farther down the road (on i-69) it blew! did i mention we were going about 70 mph? all of a sudden it jerked to the left in to the median and was going up the other side and it did not look like he was going to be able to pull it back. so i grabed the wheel
    and we wrestled it back to the center of the median and brought
    it to a stop. it was a big ford 4x4 with good size tires so it was
    real scary.

scott :cool:
  • CHRIS
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Justin,
    I did write a long post describing everthing in detail about what is wrong with me and my settlement, from the acciedent. I pulled it, why should I have to explain, to you or anyone else. Why I spend and where I spend my money. Much less what is wrong with me, it is my business and no one elses. I did expect more from a PolK employee tho. I will leave it at this, I can't walk on my own except for around the house. I HAVE to spend most of my day in bed. My spinal problems are progressive. This was a post I could have really enjoyed.
    Cars and audio are a favorite part of my life.
    Chris
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited November 2001
    Options
    What the hell are you talking about? Don't expect too much from me, I'm just Justin the webguy. You pulled what, a muscle? I'm lost, can someone trow me a freakin' bone here!?

~JB
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    Options
    knottedbones1.jpg

If...
  • Aaron
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I'm dying over here! HAHAH!

Aaron
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited November 2001
    Options
    127 in the WRX wagon :)

Going from Ft. Worth to Wichita, KS there is a just paved section of 35, couldn't see a car for miles. Pretty freaking stable at that speed, even in a wagon!

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • CHRIS
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Ron your nuts for going that fast on a bike.I would never try it. I like the bone. ROTFLMAO
    Chris
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2001
    Options
    This is of course strictly off the record, right?

My hotrodded '78 TA 6.6 is good for 140+ with no problem, and been there many times. (No quarter mile gears here.)

Different motorcycles good for 150+, been there too, many times.
    The other day I was out on one of my current bikes, a hotrodded '99 ZRX-1100 (ZREX) and was riding over 100mph on the rear wheel in fourth and well over 100mph on the rear wheel in fifth. It's just sooooo easy, effortless, and fun on this machine I can't help it. (Built on a dyno with true 133.9 rear wheel HP - up from 95.5 RRHP stock.)

I know some don't find the seat comfortable for long stays, I however, always have full leathers on which I find changes the seat comfort-bill quite a lot. This June I went for a 1,500 mile (bike miles not total miles with two different Bay of Fundy ferry crossings) bike trip to the AMA Super Bike Races in NH and then around Nova Scotia, spending many hours in the saddle without discomfort. For me the seat works quite well.

My downhill record on my roadracing bicycle is 56mph on the cyclometer, and I've done it quite a few times on a course I frequent. It depends on the wind conditions and how much steam I have left, so top speed varies from 52 to 56.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2001
    Options
    180 KNOTS in a lightweight, heavily modified Boeing 707 (KC-135 tanker). That equates to about 207 MILES per hour.

I held the nose down as long as I physically could, and let the aircraft fly at about 181-182 knots, with about 1,000 feet of runway left.

Stepping back into retirement WITH the flag now. (Oh that was sweet!) Ta-Ta!

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • twodogsnuts
    twodogsnuts Posts: 1
    edited November 2001
    Options
    112mph Harly-Davidson FLXT on the 405 Fwy
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2001
    Options
    There was the time my buddy and I split an 8-ball while I was on 3 hits of 'scline. Didn't really go anywhere, but man I was doing it fast.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Bob,

Before I got my ZX12, I had a Z-Rex.
    The two bikes are far more similar than different.
    Biggest difference is Aero's.
    Under 100MPH, the two bike's are practically equal.

The ZX12 is a little bit more nimble/responsive.
    The Z-Rex is quite good too.

I hated the seat on the Z-Rex - ouch.
    I love my ZX12. I was quite satisfied with the Z-Rex.
    However, the upgrade price actually wan't that much
    (to step up to the world's best bike).

Regarding being crazy for going 150+ on a bike...
    its not nearly as dangerous on a bike as it is in a car.
    Bike's are designed for hyper-speeds. Car's really aren't.
  • CHRIS
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Grand-In your infinite knowledge and wisdom ontop of being in the Air Force's active reserves. I figured you to know aircraft don't count in land speed records. Are you a pilot as well as a gas jockey? If we are going to count aircraft my friend, who has a personal jet, and I fly quit often. One of his things he qets a kick out of is holding the yoke all the way foward until the front wheels start to lift and at the last second yanks the yoke all the way back. We take off almost vertical into a couple of barrel rolls. I know that lear jet is gong faster then a tanker, even with its load. Either way flag back in hand I believe!

rskarvan-I can't ride anymore but when I did I had a Susuki GSX-R 1100R. I did a lot of crazy things on it, it was 12 years ago and I was young. At that age you don't think of the consequences. I hit a bird one time at high speeds and cracked the fairing, that scared me. I would still rather have a car around me tho. Granted some shouldn't go much over 65 and most have a limiter anymore at 110. But others, like my Stealth when I had it or my Viper, my friends cars, and may others are made for speed. Granted not your every day car but there are a lot. They don't get that floaty feeling they tend to squat down the faster you go.
    Chris

Bob your crazier then Ron going that fast on a bike!
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited November 2001
    Options
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Chris,

Personally, I don't care about your personal opinions of George or whatever. I will however tell you what is VERY uncool and that is making comments about George's (and my) chosen profession. George is a full time NJ Air National Guard troop not an Active Reservist. His sacrifice and service to our country commands your respect regardless of your personal opinions of him. It is the service of George and people like him that makes this country what it is today. That said, in the tanker community Active, Reserve and Guard, George is very well known and respected. This is a subject that you have little experience with and I would appreciate you leaving it alone.

It is Veterans Day gentlemen, give it some thought. Our veterans deserve your respect and appreciation.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Well said, as usual. I wasn't going to be that nice.
This discussion has been closed.