Identifying your vintage tweeters

Options
nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited March 2010 in Vintage Speakers
As we all know, the tweeter tells a lot about how old or what model your vintage Polk speakers are. The concept of this thread is for people to post detailed pics of their SL 1k/2k/2.5k tweeters, and what speaker they are from.

I'll start. This is an original SL1000 tweeter from a Monitor 5jr speaker, dated Feb 23, 1984-

IMAG0017.JPG

IMAG0010.JPG

When I bought the speakers, there was also one that had a warranty sticker on it. The front looked exactly the same, and the back had this sticker-

IMAG0012.JPG

Anyone else? I'll take a pic of my SL2500's in my Monitor 10 Series 2's when I get home.
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• outlander
    outlander Posts: 218
    edited January 2005
    Options
    nadams,
    Great idea considering this question has been asked and answered many times but always with a bit of confusion. The tweeter with the yellowish dome is the SL2000 and the tweeter with the black dome is the RD0194-1. The RD0194 is the Polk replacement tweeter for the SL2000.
    O
  • outlander
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Uh, it only let me attach one pic? Heres the SL2000.
    O
  • ardvark1
    ardvark1 Posts: 30
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I don't have a pic to add since I have four SL1000's in a pair of 1984 SDA-ll's. As for the RD0194-1, here is a quote from the instructions that come with it.

"You are receiving a replacement tweeter with the part number of RD0194-1, which is engineered to be the equivalent of the SL1000 and the SL2000, 1" dome tweeter's found on many of our Monitor, RTA and SDA series of speakers. The mechanical and electrical characteristics are the same, however there might be some relatively minor physical differences which can easily be dealt with."

The mounting instructions go on to say the original screw mounting holes might not line up exactly. As for my early SDA's, since the SL1000 is a smaller size tweeter, I will have to slightly enlarge the tweeter mounting cutout area. and relocate the mounting screw holes.

I know this topic has been covered to death, but I thought this post might help clear up any confusion as to what the RD0194-1
    can be installed in.
  • nadams
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Okay, here are some additional pics.

First, two shots of the Peerless replacements for the SL1000's. These replacement tweeters are no longer made (click here for a link to a datasheet for these Peerless replacements) . For reference, I purchased these from Parts Express when I first bought my 5jr's (check my joined date, that's when I bought them).

imag0003.jpg

imag0004.jpg

Now, here are the SL2500s in my Monitor 10 Series 2 Speakers. These tweeters have a manufacturing date of 1991 on them, and I'm convinced that these are the original drives from a late run of Monitor 10s. All of the drivers in both speakers, including the passive radiators, have the same dates on them.

imag0001.jpg

imag0005.jpg

Sorry about the blurriness of the pics. I'm shooting in low-light and my camera doesn't like that.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • outlander
    edited January 2005
    Options
    nadams,
    Man, your SL2500's sure look an awful lot like my RD0194-1's. Are you sure that's the SL2500? Here we go again?
    O
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2005
    Options
    It's an SL2500. The dead giveaway is the foam ring around the dome....the RD0194 does not have this feature.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • nadams
    edited January 2005
    Options
    The foam ring is a good delineator. Also, the RD0194-1 is the replacement for the SL2000, my tweeters are marked SL2500 on the back.

Also, my speakers must've been in a high humidity environment at some point to make those screws rust like that. They've been like that since I bought the speakers in July.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • outlander
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Thanks guys, I didn't notice the foam ring the first time I looked at the pic's.
  • nadams
    edited February 2005
    Options
    -bump-
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited June 2005
    Options
    After reading this, I pulled my tweeters from my 5jr's,, they are stamped on the back ,,SL 2500, should I, could I (Sam I am) replace them with the newer Sl 2000's ?
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by george daniel
    After reading this, I pulled my tweeters from my 5jr's,, they are stamped on the back ,,SL 2500, should I, could I (Sam I am) replace them with the newer Sl 2000's ?

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/service/models/modelpartslist.php3?model=monitor

There were a few versions of the 5jr's made with the sl2500 tweeter. I have one 5jr+ pair with sl2000's and another 5jr+ pair with sl2500's.

If yours originally came with the sl2500 then your crossover would be matched with the sl2500/sl3000 replacement tweeter RD0198-1 not RD0194-1 which is the sl2000 replacement tweeter.

Gently unscrew your crossover and while holding the crossover in your hand look for a white label with a part number. Hopefully there is a part number that matches the chart on the above page.
  • nadams
    edited June 2005
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with the SL-2500 tweeter. No need to replace them at all unless they're dead.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nadams
    edited January 2009
    Options
    .... why?

You doing some late-night drunken searches again, sal?
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Someone else posted a "can you identify this tweeter" thread and someone linked this to it for reference. Very handy.
  • nadams
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Yep, IMO this should probably be a sticky... But then, I might just be partial to seeing my name at the top of the forum list :p
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • smilingassasins
    smilingassasins Posts: 5
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Were can i find or buy this tweeter. Mines cooked
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Were can i find or buy this tweeter. Mines cooked

There's a Ph.# for Polk at the top of this page, call em.;)
  • nduitch
    nduitch Posts: 316
    edited April 2009
    Options
    What would you say the differences in sound quality are between the sl2500 and the rdo194?
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2009
    Options
    The 198 is the replacement for the 2500. Not the 194.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • HB27
    HB27 Posts: 1,518
    edited April 2009
    Options
    What tweeters are these? They're out of my 5Jrs teamed up with MW6502s.
    4 ohm
    Japan
    8146g
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2009
    Options
    That looks like a polycarbonate dome to me? Not sure who made it--that can't be original can it--seems too recent! What kind of speaker is that--because that does not look like any Polk dome I've seen?

Also, how about some shots of the SL-3000s, anyone???

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • HB27
    edited April 2009
    Options
    The motorboard appears to have been cut out specifically for this tweeter. Gasket fits cutout and tweeter both. Screw holes appear to be unfazed so I presume it's an original.
  • nadams
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Those appear to be monitor 4a's - http://polksda.com/monitor4a.shtml

I believe that's the sl1500 tweeter. Not used for very long.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nduitch
    nduitch Posts: 316
    edited April 2009
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    The 198 is the replacement for the 2500. Not the 194.

Yes I know, what are the differences in sound between the sl2500 and the replacement for the sl2000(rdo-194).
  • HB27
    edited April 2009
    Options
    nadams wrote: »
    Those appear to be monitor 4a's - http://polksda.com/monitor4a.shtml

I believe that's the sl1500 tweeter. Not used for very long.
    I've got 5jr's and 4.5's identical with same tweeters and clearly marked 5Jr and 4.5 on crossovers. Both cabinets are also same exact dimensions. Are these the same speaker with different labeling/numbering system?
  • seeclear
    seeclear Posts: 1,237
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Those look like the tweets in my monitor 4's also.

HB27 wrote: »
    What tweeters are these? They're out of my 5Jrs teamed up with MW6502s.
    4 ohm
    Japan
    8146g
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."
  • kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Smallies wrote: »
    I could use a pair of 2500's. I put some in my SDA2's. My Finicky Phase Linear 700 delights in destroying sl1000's but last time I checked my 2500's are still working and not because they haven't been clipped 20 times.

Smallies, best to post a "Wanted" tread, you'll get better response. They Do show up from time to time. HOWEVER, the SL2500's are not a drop in replacement for the SL1000's, if that is what is original to your your speakers.
    You might be better off getting some RDO-194's from Polk CS, rather than all the work to upgrade your Xover so you can use the SL-2500's.
    Just my 2 cents.
  • kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    edited February 2010
    Options
  • chandler9a
    chandler9a Posts: 877
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Smallies wrote: »
    I could use a pair of 2500's. I put some in my SDA2's. My Finicky Phase Linear 700 delights in destroying sl1000's but last time I checked my 2500's are still working and not because they haven't been clipped 20 times.

I have some if you need them.

Aaron
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I'll get a sticky thread locked in with a section for each tweeter in the next few days.

If anyone has additional pictures of their vintage tweeters, feel free to post them here as I'd like to have multiple photos of each one.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.