Doc, SVS 20-39 PCi or PB1-ISD?

kberg
kberg Posts: 974
Doc (and anyone else),

Opinions on the comparison of these two SVS subs? For $599, do you think either one is a better bang for the buck? I don't care about cylinder vs. box, I just want the best bass! :)

The PCi Plus series might just be a bit too much coin; otherwise, it would be the 20-39 PCI Plus, hands down!
Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
Display: JVC HD-56G786
DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
Post edited by kberg on

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    edited June 2003
    I've been watching for B stock deals on their website. They have a 20-39 PC+ on there right now for $775. I don't know if that's the one you're looking for or if it's a good deal, just an FYI.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited June 2003
    i dont know if this is good foruming or not but i was just about to start a thread like this when i saw this one, so im gonna be a jerk and jump in. :p

i agree the + series is alittle out of my budget, but is the regular PCi series good enough? will i be happy with only 320 watts instead of 525? i didnt see that series on ur recomended subwoofer list in a post of yours and im worried. your opinion is hugly valued around here and i refuse to buy anything that isn't dr. spec approved lol, especially because demoing SVS isn't doable.

so the point to my blabbering, is any SVS a good subwoofer? or would here be another brand that will give me better performance for the same price? i can afford the 16-46 PCi sub, i think, i might have to downgrade but it will still be a PCi series sub. whatcha think?
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited June 2003
    The SVS brand subwoofer has a following, and for good reason. All their models are excellent choices, period. It just depends on your needs, they have the sub. They have amps to satisfy all needs, from normal, steroid and the manslaughter category.

Let Dr. Spec or the forum, know your exact needs, or just basic(i.e. 50% HT, 50% 2CH, etc), suggestions will be offered to you.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Kev:

The PCi series is very capable. I have extensive demo experience with a 25-31PCi and I'm telling you it shakes an average size HT room with authority.

The 20-39 enclosure size is the most popular, and with good reason; it is a perfect blend of extension and output capability, and it would be my top choice in the cylinder sub. The fact that I own a 20-39PC+ is no coincidence.

The 20-39 (20 Hz) will dig a bit deeper than the PB1-ISD (22 Hz), but the difference won't be noticeable on most program material. Occasionally you will benefit from the deeper extension, though.

If cylinder vs. box doesn't matter, the cylinder is a slightly better performance value. It is simply less expensive to build and offers the same SPL performance and in this particular case a bit better extension.

If you tell me how big your room is, and how loud you like to playback for HT, I can tell you if a PCi or a PB1-ISD would suit your needs.

If you have a large HT room and you really like to belt it out at near Reference Level, then a PC+ might be a better choice. Let me know.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Airplay355
    so the point to my blabbering, is any SVS a good subwoofer? or would here be another brand that will give me better performance for the same price? i can afford the 16-46 PCi sub, i think, i might have to downgrade but it will still be a PCi series sub. whatcha think?

Airplay, if I didn't hit your questions above, let me know.

The 16-46 enclosure is tuned very deep and gives up a bit of maximum outut capability (compared to the 20-39 and the 25-31) in exchange for the ultra deep extension.

A 16-46 PCi will still provide tons of clean output in an average size HT room.

Doc

SVS
  • Airplay355
    edited June 2003
    so you are saying that the 20-39 would be a better choice? i think i understand what your saying but im unclear about your opinion. the 16-46 will go down deeper but not as loud as the louder but less deep 20 -39? correct me if im wrong.

my room is L 15' x W 11 1/ 2' x H 8', i guess this would be average size but i dont know. my entertainment center is on the wall that is 15' long just in case that is something you needed to know.

i like bass alot so i don't want a subwoofer that just gets the job done, i want to be able to know the sub is on and working all the time, not just when "the ring drops" if ya know what i mean.

thank you for your time in trying to better my HT, it is greatly appreciated :D
  • kberg
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec

If you tell me how big your room is, and how loud you like to playback for HT, I can tell you if a PCi or a PB1-ISD would suit your needs.

If you have a large HT room and you really like to belt it out at near Reference Level, then a PC+ might be a better choice. Let me know.

Doc

Thanks for the feedback, Doc - real helpful. Ok, my room is approx. 20' x 14.5', door wall on one side and carpeted. Although reference level is "cool" for occassional demo's, I normally don't play it THAT loud continuously. I'd say post calibration at 75dB with the S&V disc and a Rat Shack meter, with the sub a bit hotter at 78dB, the loudest I'd crank my Onkyo master volume would be between 65 and 70dB (so I may not need the power of the PC+ at 525w). And if it makes any difference, it's all for HT rather than music. So, a PCi or a PB1-ISD?
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
  • Airplay355
    edited June 2003
    sry jumpin in again, didnt wanna start a new thread and bother everyone :(

i could upgrade my receiver (which is currently an aiwa av-d57) to a marantz sr 7300 oooooor i could buy the SVS PCi 16-46 and leave the aiwa for now, i will eventually get both but i am unsure of where to start? they both offer benfits and my **** receiver shouldnt effect my SVS too much because it has its own amp. any opinions are appreciated.

thanx
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2003

i could upgrade my receiver (which is currently an aiwa av-d57) to a marantz sr 7300 oooooor i could buy the SVS PCi 16-46 and leave the aiwa for now,

I have had nothing but the best treatment from SVS. I was undecided about my sub and through my room dims at the Doc. "Best investment in home theater I ever made based off of his advice."

Go Sub first and don't pinch pennies.

I Toasted 2 Subs within a 2 months and SVS took care of my sorry ****. No need to worry.

Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    so you are saying that the 20-39 would be a better choice? i think i understand what your saying but im unclear about your opinion. the 16-46 will go down deeper but not as loud as the louder but less deep 20 -39? correct me if im wrong.

You have the concept correct on the extension vs. SPL vs. enclosure size.

I think the 16-46 enclosure is overkill most of the time because there is very little signal content on DVDs at 15-20 Hz. The amount of time a DVD spends in this region can be measured in seconds. If you want to capture ALL of the information on a DVD at the expense of some max SPL capability, then go for the 16-46.

Overall I think the 20-39 is a better choice because it extends to about 18 Hz in most rooms and is capable of playing louder than the 16-46.

Doc

SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by kberg
    Thanks for the feedback, Doc - real helpful. Ok, my room is approx. 20' x 14.5', door wall on one side and carpeted. Although reference level is "cool" for occassional demo's, I normally don't play it THAT loud continuously. I'd say post calibration at 75dB with the S&V disc and a Rat Shack meter, with the sub a bit hotter at 78dB, the loudest I'd crank my Onkyo master volume would be between 65 and 70dB (so I may not need the power of the PC+ at 525w). And if it makes any difference, it's all for HT rather than music. So, a PCi or a PB1-ISD?

Kev,

Doesn't the S&V require 85 dB for Reference Level calibration? I could be wrong here.

Either way, I need to know how many clicks (i.e., 1 dB increments) under your Reference Level benchmark that you play DVDs. Just giving me the arbitrary volume setting on your AVR doesn't help me because I don't know what that means.

Doc

SVS
  • kberg
    edited June 2003
    Doesn't the S&V require 85 dB for Reference Level calibration? I could be wrong here.

The S&V disk indicates it can be anything over 70db, or is that just for general speaker balance? I used 75db to balance all of my speakers. I don't see anything specific on the S&V disc for "Reference Level" calibration.

Either way, I need to know how many clicks (i.e., 1 dB increments) under your Reference Level benchmark that you play DVDs. Just giving me the arbitrary volume setting on your AVR doesn't help me because I don't know what that means.

Looks like I need some guidance on reference level calibration to make sure I give you the right feedback. Can you cut/paste those directions again? Thanks!
  • kberg
    edited June 2003
    Nevermind, Doc. I read a previous post by mantis who explained reference level well. From that post, I'd say that I like to listen to DVD's at about 15-20dB lower than reference level. From that info, what SVS sub would you recommend, based on my room description above?
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by kberg
    I'd say that I like to listen to DVD's at about 15-20dB lower than reference level. From that info, what SVS sub would you recommend, based on my room description above?

At 15 to 20 clicks under RL, you should be fine with either the PB1-ISD or any PCi sub. I prefer the 20-39 if you are going with a cylinder.

At 10 under RL or higher, you are into PC+ territory.

Doc

SVS
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited June 2003
    i worked with a program to buld my sub and as you tune lower your rool off of the sub starts higher but you get more deep bass by the port. but also when you tune low it droops off faster than a higher tuned sub. i have a huge room and get not that much room gain where i sit. that is y i tuned my sub to 17 hz.

i would eather get the 16 or 20 and maybe get 2 of the pci series or get 1 of the pci+ series. 2 subs are allways beter than 1.
  • kberg
    edited June 2003
    At 15 to 20 clicks under RL, you should be fine with either the PB1-ISD or any PCi sub. I prefer the 20-39 if you are going with a cylinder.

At 10 under RL or higher, you are into PC+ territory.

Doc

Excellent - thanks.