Sony ES and LSi's

Options
Grimster74
Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
Just curious, does anyone in here know how the Sony STR-DA4ES receiver would handle running a full line of LSi series speakers. Meaning, would the Sony be able to run a 4 ohm load without any problems and if so what wattage would in run in a 4 ohm load. In 8 ohms it currently runs 110 watts by 7. Thinking about upgrading to the Lsi's down the road but not until after I purchase that SVS-PB2 subwoofer like Doc just received.
Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
Post edited by Grimster74 on

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,657
    edited June 2003
    Options
    As an ES owner I've wondered that too. My manual lists 4 ohm @ 80 x 5. I have heard that LSi's need 100+ to "sing".
    Get ready for the Sony bashing to come:(
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Yea no kidding Ken :)

I know that the 4ES has a different internal chassis and larger caps for higher current, but I do not know the actual current load. I probably would not try to run LSi's with the 1ES or 2ES but the 4ES is internally more advanced at that stage of power, even though they are rated very close.

Someone may have an answer in Sony forum, I will check for actual current specs.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ken brydson
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    Yea no kidding Ken :)

My **** hurts already and the flaming hasn't even started yet:)
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I don't think it's matter of whether the ES can drive LSi. But, it is more of the *subjective* quality of the sound, given the combination. I have no doubt that 4ES can and will drive LSi, especially given the explicit statement about its 4 ohms rating. But, the question is whether it can qualitatively produce a warmer, plenty of headrooms, and sound great - which all are pretty subjective, if you ask me. I tried several high-current amp with my LSi9 before the Rotel, and it just happened that I like to Rotel sounds better than the other two (Denon and Hafler). As always, my opinion...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • ken brydson
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    I don't think it's matter of whether the ES can drive LSi. But, it is more of the *subjective* quality of the sound, given the combination. I have no doubt that 4ES can and will drive LSi, especially given the explicit statement about its 4 ohms rating. But, the question is whether it can qualitatively produce a warmer, plenty of headrooms, and sound great - which all are pretty subjective, if you ask me. I tried several high-current amp with my LSi9 before the Rotel, and it just happened that I like to Rotel sounds better than the other two (Denon and Hafler). As always, my opinion...

An opinion w/o a slam of other peoples gear is always welcome;)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,092
    edited June 2003
    Options
    My personal opinion, I have never heard the LSI's. However, from what people say...No receiver does them justice. They need real man power. No receiver, that I have seen, or heard, sounds like seperates. I hear B&K does, but nothing is like seperates. Sony...blah ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.