Soundproofing townhouse/condo

Options
mr_wells
mr_wells Posts: 20
What have people here been able to do to successfully reduce sound levels for and from neighbors in townhouses and condos?

I have at least an 8" wall between my house and my neghbors but they just came today to tell me that my PSW-650 has been re-arranging their belongings...

I was thinking of talking to a friend of mine that helped set up the sound room in his recording studio...
Post edited by mr_wells on

Comments

• rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Try putting the sub on a piece of slate, that would take care of any physical vibrations being carried by the structure itself. It's virtually impossible to soundproof anything for bass. If you're hellbent on doing it, there are ways. Talk to that guy.
  • mr_wells
    mr_wells Posts: 20
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by rs159
    If you're hellbent on doing it, there are ways. Talk to that guy.

What guy?

I'll look into the slate thing...
  • rs159
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mr_wells
    I was thinking of talking to a friend of mine that helped set up the sound room in his recording studio...

That guy........
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I haven't done it (don't need to), but have read many recommendations of doing this on quite a few sites. Those large garden tiles will work too, but not to the same degree. Slate, granite, marble, etc. Put this stone on some carpet insulation or folded up towels and it should make a big difference.

You may also try moving your sub. Especially if it's near a shared wall.

Good luck!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • rs159
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by gidrah
    ...You may also try moving your sub. Especially if it's near a shared wall.

Good luck!

Or better yet, if you're on the end you could move it to the room at the end of the structure. If you're stuck in the middle you could move it to the side with the nicest neighbors ;)

A more eccentric way to take care of the neighbor mess is to use headphones and bass shakers. Bass shakers are things you mount on stuff like seating platforms or chairs and can fill in the "feel" of deep bass that you loose with headphones.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2003
    Options
    If you want real cheap, pick up a standard concrete paver, 12 x 12, grey no frills. If the el cheapo model improves your bass, then a piece of nice polished, beveled granite will also help you and look good.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • steve0202
    steve0202 Posts: 28
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the slate (marble/granite) under the sub. I live in an apartment and can use some help not to disturb the neighbors.
    Rti70's
    Csi30
    PSW-250
    RM5000 series II sats
    Denon AV2802
    Denon DVM 1815
    Toshiba 32" TV/Monitor
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    ... and if they still complain after you buy the slate (which they will), you can always hit them with it... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD